2019 Applicants

Out of upvotes but this is absolutely wonderful :) Thank you for posting these! These are going to be of massive help for anyone looking forward. Reading these more, actually wishing I had this kind of concrete advice while drafting my SoPs. While the general contours of these pointers were floating around my head, they are very easy to forget in the stress of pushing an application through to the system, so being reminded of this is key in helping sharpening future SoPs and samples.

The optional statements on diversity caught me by surprise for sure when I applied. For disclosure, I am indeed a URM (with some limited teaching background alongside some fairly... I don't want to say harrowing, but life definitely threw me curveballs and then some in undergrad) so I did feel somewhat impelled to respond, and I can't deny that it was a refreshing change to write with a bit more of a personal touch than a constant drafting and re-drafting academic prose. These are all very salient points you've made though.

3 minutes ago, Ranmaag said:

Out of upvotes but this is absolutely wonderful :) Thank you for posting these! These are going to be of massive help for anyone looking forward. Reading these more, actually wishing I had this kind of concrete advice while drafting my SoPs. While the general contours of these pointers were floating around my head, they are very easy to forget in the stress of pushing an application through to the system, so being reminded of this is key in helping sharpening future SoPs and samples.

The optional statements on diversity caught me by surprise for sure when I applied. For disclosure, I am indeed a URM (with some limited teaching background alongside some fairly... I don't want to say harrowing, but life definitely threw me curveballs and then some in undergrad) so I did feel somewhat impelled to respond, and I can't deny that it was a refreshing change to write with a bit more of a personal touch than a constant drafting and re-drafting academic prose. These are all very salient points you've made though.

I should have mentioned that significant life curveballs are absolutely a meaningful indicator of resiliency and grit, and a diversity statement is a perfectly appropriate place to disclose such things. Applicants who have overcome adversity in various forms (family crises or losses, economic hardships, personal setbacks or challenges) should use the diversity statement to demonstrate that their commitment to graduate study and an academic life is not naive or unconsidered, but one that has been tested in the fires of "real life" and emerged intact. So yes, the kinds of adversity you mention are helpful for admissions committees to know about, so they appreciate your commitment to and seriousness in the field. Sounds like you handled this perfectly!

1 hour ago, emprof said:

2) Applications often provide an opportunity to draft an optional statement that explains how you would contribute to the diversity of the scholarly community. If you are a URM (under-represented minority), or a first-generation college-student, or have an unusual educational trajectory (started in community college, say, or worked full-time to pay your way through college), or a minoritized gender/sexual identity, or have a diagnosed disability: this is a great opportunity to disclose that information. Admissions committees are ethically obligated to ensure the diversity of their cohorts, and committees are dedicated to making sure that candidates with these markers compose a substantial part of their admitted cohort.

Asking candidly: how much emphasis is a committee looking for on these issues? As someone who is a first generation college student who went to community college and worked full-time to pay my way through college and who also has a minoritized sexual identity (never thought I would type that!!), at what point does explaining these things border on parody?

I ask because I had an extremely difficult time writing and revising my diversity statement. It genuinely felt absurd and uncomfortable disclosing that much information within a tightly constrained word/space limit. The more I worked on it, it started to feel very much like a ticky-box response and very much disingenuous to the point of embarrassment. Would you suggest a more focused emphasis on one particular “kind” of diversity, or is this just my midwestern sensibility about (and deeeeep aversion to) disclosure of personal information getting in the way?

Thank you, btw, for all of your thoughtful responses to others! They’ve been very insightful. 

Edited by vondafkossum

46 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Asking candidly: how much emphasis is a committee looking for on these issues? As someone who is a first generation college student who went to community college and worked full-time to pay my way through college and who also has a minoritized sexual identity (never thought I would type that!!), at what point does explaining these things border on parody?

I ask because I had an extremely difficult time writing and revising my diversity statement. It genuinely felt absurd and uncomfortable disclosing that much information within a tightly constrained word/space limit. The more I worked on it, it started to feel very much like a ticky-box response and very much disingenuous to the point of embarrassment. Would you suggest a more focused emphasis on one particular “kind” of diversity, or is this just my midwestern sensibility about (and deeeeep aversion to) disclosure of personal information getting in the way?

I fully appreciate your hesitation (and even squeamishness?) about this kind of personal disclosure! And of course, if there is every anything that feels too personal to reveal, the application should not make you feel coerced. But: the several characteristics you mention here (1st gen, community college trajectory, worked full-time, minoritized sexual identity) are *all* recognizable and sought-after traits for admissions committees. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which disclosing these several, intersectional traits would not be an asset to your application. Committees are savvy enough to understand intersectionality, and so having multiple vectors of "diversity" would not be construed by any admissions committee worth its salt as "parody" or absurdity. I am deeply familiar with midwestern sensibilities, and so can smile and nod in recognition about your midwestern modesty/diffidence. But the diversity statement is a genre that explicitly asks for this kind of disclosure. It is exactly the right place to bracket your own hesitancy--and also to trust that nothing disclosed there will ever be made public. Everything in your application is protected by FERPA, and cannot legally be shared with other students, family, colleagues at other institutions, etc.

My mentor and I are pretty close — we text and she’s really down to earth and I view her as both a good friend and mentor. Is it considered rude to share funding info, perhaps similar to sharing salaries? 

I’d really like to ask her a question about my funding package from NYU (which honestly looks really good and I am thrilled/shocked) but want to check here about whether or not that’s considered bad manners. 

WHY ISNT THERE AN ACADEMIA ETTIQUETTE HANDBOOK? We should take all the ridiculous “is this okay to do” questions we ask each other here and compile one, lol. 

Edited by trytostay

5 minutes ago, trytostay said:

My mentor and I are pretty close — we text and she’s really down to earth and I view her as both a good friend and mentor. Is it considered rude to share funding info, perhaps similar to sharing salaries? 

I’d really like to ask her a question about my funding package from NYU (which honestly looks really good and I am thrilled/shocked) but want to check here about whether or not that’s considered bad manners. 

WHY ISNT THERE AN ACADEMIA ETTIQUETTE HANDBOOK? We should take all the ridiculous “is this okay to do” questions we ask each other here and compile one, lol. 

I think if you’re just sharing the information with your advisor/mentor then that’s okay. It’s important, in my opinion, to take funding offers into consideration when deciding between programs. After all, you do have to live there for several years and need to be able to support yourself. That said, some larger offers are also in relation to a much higher cost of living in a particular area. You could also try talking to current graduate students about cost of living, without, of course, revealing what you’ve been offered. I’d imagine they could give you a much more accurate understanding of how far your stipend will go. 

5 minutes ago, Sav said:

I’d imagine they could give you a much more accurate understanding of how far your stipend will go. 

I’ve lived in NYC for five years now and don’t plan to move from my current apartment if I attend NYU, so I’m not too worried about understanding cost of living. It’s just more specific wording about one of the additional fellowship awards I’ve been offered. I’m unsure if it’s a one-time stipend or something I’ll get every year. Perhaps I’ll just send her that one line of the funding offer rather than the entire thing! If she asks for more info I’ll tell her, but I’ll keep the rest to myself unless asked. Thanks!

Edited by trytostay

25 minutes ago, trytostay said:

I’ve lived in NYC for five years now and don’t plan to move from my current apartment if I attend NYU, so I’m not too worried about understanding cost of living. It’s just more specific wording about one of the additional fellowship awards I’ve been offered. I’m unsure if it’s a one-time stipend or something I’ll get every year. Perhaps I’ll just send her that one line of the funding offer rather than the entire thing! If she asks for more info I’ll tell her, but I’ll keep the rest to myself unless asked. Thanks!

Ohh okay! That makes it much easier!! You could try that and you might also ask the DGS to clarify?

2 hours ago, trytostay said:

I think this is absolutely appropriate to share with your mentor. I talk candidly with my former undergraduate students who have applied to graduate school about the reality of living in "genteel poverty" for 6 years, and I will happily advise them about what kinds of financial support I think they should expect from a Ph.D. program. If you attend a graduate program that cannot fund all of its students equally (sometimes the case at public institutions), and others in your cohort have different funding packages, then it could create awkwardness and resentment to discuss your particular fellowship/GA-ship/funding situation with fellow students. But your mentors can and should advise you about compensation.

14 minutes ago, emprof said:

I think this is absolutely appropriate to share with your mentor. I talk candidly with my former undergraduate students who have applied to graduate school about the reality of living in "genteel poverty" for 6 years, and I will happily advise them about what kinds of financial support I think they should expect from a Ph.D. program. If you attend a graduate program that cannot fund all of its students equally (sometimes the case at public institutions), and others in your cohort have different funding packages, then it could create awkwardness and resentment to discuss your particular fellowship/GA-ship/funding situation with fellow students. But your mentors can and should advise you about compensation.

Obviously @emprof's advice doesn't need to be seconded, but I wanted to weigh in as a student. One of the first questions two of my letters writers asked me when they saw me in-person was about the funding offered, and it wasn't awkward at all! :) 

3 hours ago, trytostay said:

I think if you feel comfortable sharing it, then it’s totally fine. You seem close with her, and I don’t think it would be weird. Especially if you are asking genuinely about something concerning the package. I think she’ll be just as thrilled as you are that you got a great funding package and happy to answer questions. Congrats also!

5 minutes ago, santraash said:

So what about Rutgers? There was one acceptance on the results board on the 8th, and nothing since. What do you guys think?

pretty skeptical since nothing else has come in - could have been some rogue individual acceptance but not an indicator of anything else, imo. i think we may hear more today or tomorrow based on past years (although all my timing estimates have been off so far! take that with a grain of salt)

2 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

pretty skeptical since nothing else has come in - could have been some rogue individual acceptance but not an indicator of anything else, imo. i think we may hear more today or tomorrow based on past years (although all my timing estimates have been off so far! take that with a grain of salt)

lol. thanks. ?

4 hours ago, trytostay said:

I had a lot of conversations with my mentors about funding, and continue to talk about it with them, originally because they wanted to make sure I got a good package.  Now moreso because I want them to know what I’m being offered/may be offered so they can pass that info along to undergrads looking at where they should apply.  I think these packages should be more transparent/known. 

On 2/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, tcatherine said:

Question for the CUNY acceptances (and congrats, too!), are we talking CUNY Graduate Center? Or am I an idiot and there are other CUNY schools offering PhD programs. 

In English, the CUNY Graduate Center is the only CUNY school offering a Ph.D. in English. If I remember correctly, you'll be teaching at a different CUNY school which may differ from other people in your cohort though.

Do you guys know how much a difference it makes which school your LOR writers are from? Two of my recommenders were from UCSB (I did a study abroad year there), so I thought I was more likely to get in there than anywhere else, but now I've been rejected (despite fit etc. also being good), so I'm guessing they don't care about that after all?

Pretty hard not to be bummed when the one school you actually thought would work out didn't...