2019 Applicants

Claiming the UCLA waitlist just posted to the board, which was sent to me at 8:45 PCT last night. Feeling slightly validated but not really excited. The limbo is without end.  

Anyway, wanted to let you all know that it looks like the waitlist has gone out. Congrats to @sugilite and condolences to those who were rejected :/!

Edit: If anyone knows anything about UCLA's history of waitlist acceptances, I'd be interested to know. @Warelin might have some insight? 

Edited by bardie
Adding info

Anyone else here use tattoos as (one of) their form(s) of therapy? I'm getting one today and feeling like the timing couldn't be better. Nothing like a couple hours under the needle to make you forget about existential woes. 

37 minutes ago, sad_diamond said:

Anyone else here use tattoos as (one of) their form(s) of therapy? I'm getting one today and feeling like the timing couldn't be better. Nothing like a couple hours under the needle to make you forget about existential woes. 

Lol if anything is going to finally convince me to get my "thy life's a miracle" (from King Lear) tattoo, this will probably be it

3 hours ago, bardie said:

Edit: If anyone knows anything about UCLA's history of waitlist acceptances, I'd be interested to know. @Warelin might have some insight? 

The only thing I know about UCLA is that they have a history of sending acceptances to more people than they have spots for in the incoming class. This is common practice for most programs. If I recall correctly, I think UCLA does not have a ranked waitlist. All this means is that you'll need either 1 or 2 people from your subfield to reject their offer before they move to the waitlist.

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Same.

I especially enjoyed that three step process with random password I got to go through just to see my UCLA rejection ??.  Is this cycle over yet?

I also thought this was a delightful touch.  Just a liiiiitle glimmer of hope before the kick in the stomach.  I'm amazed and seriously impressed with the fortitude of people who apply multiple cycles . . . 

1 hour ago, sad_diamond said:

I always get new tattoos/piercing done when I am especially stressed (and depressed). It really does help since it makes me extremely aware of my physical body and *absolutely nothing else* for 2-3 hours--which is, luckily, much longer than a therapy session...

36 minutes ago, Warelin said:

The only thing I know about UCLA is that they have a history of sending acceptances to more people than they have spots for in the incoming class. This is common practice for most programs. If I recall correctly, I think UCLA does not have a ranked waitlist. All this means is that you'll need either 1 or 2 people from your subfield to reject their offer before they move to the waitlist.

Thanks for the information but boooo ?. 

24 minutes ago, reluctanthuman said:

I always get new tattoos/piercing done when I am especially stressed (and depressed). It really does help since it makes me extremely aware of my physical body and *absolutely nothing else* for 2-3 hours--which is, luckily, much longer than a therapy session...

"Yep" says my new tragus piercing ;) 

2 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

you've just described my entire life (and arms. and back.) My most recent was an American Traditional style Bob and Linda with my partner! 

55 minutes ago, reluctanthuman said:

I’ve been waiting on my next piercing, but now might be just the right time..?

4 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

if only i could get more piercings and tattoos.  1) no funds 2) still in college aka dependent on my parents, and they were pissed af (they're traditional asian parents)

currently have a bunch of ear piercings in both ears, as well as a septum.  i used to have snakebites (holy hell my parents hated that) and nostril ring.  i miss my snakebites, wish i could get them back, but it's bad for your dental health, and professionals won't take you seriously...  i want an eyebrow and two nostrils, as well as a navel and more ear ones.

i have one wrist tattoo. i'm horrified to let my dad know; i once said the word "tattoo" and he raged for a day and wouldn't talk to me after.

there are so many tattoos i want to get and have planned out.  fuck.  i guess i'll do stick and poke with some needles.

anyone have favorite tattoo artists?

Edited by optimistic_nihilist
tattoos

i need to vent about umass amherst bc they are killing me with their "update pending" change today. Plus the few rejections and acceptances on the results... and now my app just updated my "academic plans" column as well. why are they doing this so slowly? in the year of our lord 2019 couldn't they just send out emails all at once?? /endrant

The people who have heard back from Wisconsin, did you get an email from the department or the grad school? Check portal or self-contained? I’m trying to figure out why I haven’t received anything since all three types of notices have gone out.

Rejected by UCLA :( Not too surprised though, fit was a big stretch in hindsight and my very, very bad subject GRE probably meant that if they had an initial cut on numbers, I was likely out right from the start. I'm ngl glad they were able to send out decisions quickly but a rejection at 3AM PST? Could barely sleep after seeing that letter lol. Still, many congrats to all who got in. You've all been accepted into a very fabulous program.

Crossing fingers for good news for all of us as February rolls on.

Edited by Ranmaag

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

The people who have heard back from Wisconsin, did you get an email from the department or the grad school? Check portal or self-contained? I’m trying to figure out why I haven’t received anything since all three types of notices have gone out.

I got an email from the department on 1/28 immediately followed by an email from POI, and just yesterday got an email from the grad school as well. I know they are still in the process of determining funding too so maybe they are also not finished yet with finalizing their acceptances? This is also for rhet/comp so may not be entirely applicable to your circumstance. Holding out hope for you!

8 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

Here to vent about UCLA rejection like many of the rest of you - tattoos sound like such a good form of therapy! I just went and ate too many apps at Denny's instead and like... not the best now I just feel gross in a different way. *shrug*

2 hours ago, Ranmaag said:

Rejected by UCLA :( Not too surprised though, fit was a big stretch in hindsight and my very, very bad subject GRE probably meant that if they had an initial cut on numbers, I was likely out right from the start. I'm ngl glad they were able to send out decisions quickly but a rejection at 3AM PST? Could barely sleep after seeing that letter lol. Still, many congrats to all who got in. You've all been accepted into a very fabulous program.

Crossing fingers for good news for all of us as February rolls on.

The thing with these schools is it really is a toss-up and there are so many factors that come into play when accepting applicants. However, I think dept. fit plays more of a role than I initially thought. I’ve been rejected from smaller programs but accepted to UCLA (and my GRE subject score is trash) and when I look back at the programs I was rejected from it seems that they were really a stretch regarding fit. Here’s to hoping that we all get into programs that are best suited for the growth of our projects! 

2 minutes ago, Englishtea1 said:

The thing with these schools is it really is a toss-up and there are so many factors that come into play when accepting applicants. However, I think dept. fit plays more of a role than I initially thought. I’ve been rejected from smaller programs but accepted to UCLA (and my GRE subject score is trash) and when I look back at the programs I was rejected from it seems that they were really a stretch regarding fit. Here’s to hoping that we all get into programs that are best suited for the growth of our projects! 

Upon more reflection I agree with all of this tbh. My subject score is... ouch (it was bad enough that I contemplated giving up literary study). Beyond that though, looking at the one acceptance and the implied rejections I have, it is definitely fit that was the bigger factor (outside of the multitude of unknowns). The one program I've been accepted to so far fit incredibly well with both my current interests and the future direction I want to take in graduate study (alongside a POI that I'm really excited to meet and work with), and it's looking like there's a fairly high chance I'll be matriculating there in the fall. So reading this re-assures me a lot, and thank you :) It's very easy to forget all the intangibles, unknowns, and luck throughout this process tbh, but it's also good to be reminded that they're there and that sometimes... nothing but pure luck and the whims of what a department desires in its cohort is what separates that fateful choice between acceptance, waitlist, and rejection

And also massive congrats to you! I've seen your acceptances and you have some awesome programs to choose from. I'm rooting for you and for everyone else here.

3 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I received an email from the POIs and the grad school. The portal has also updated on my end. It might be helpful to know that the department just received a grant for an initiative focused on transatlantic/Caribbean literature, which may account for why they’re taking in so many applicants whose specialty is in that field.