@WildeThing Yeah, I only have Northwestern down for this week from my list. I'm just having a weird feeling based in almost no evidence that this week is gonna be the kickoff of really hearing. But same for me--the two weeks after that are the big ones for me too.

8 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Anyone else feel in their bones that this is going to be a big week in terms of hearing back? 

Absolutely. I should hear from four, if they follow past timelines. I think these next few weeks are going to be real intense, and I’m so ready for it.

i have a total of 5 big-ish assignments due this week but lucked into a 3 day super bowl weekend because of my friday class being canceled  AND co-worker offered to take my shift wednesday so i can finish everything due thursday. this week is going to be a GRAND OLD TIME. good luck, everyone. 

Disclaimer: do not freak out!

I was just scrolling through all my app portals and opened UCSB’s to see “accepted”

...had minor stroke

...immediately thereafter noticed the accepted was referring to my app fee waiver, my app status is still very much submitted.

Lol why am I like this? Reading is supposed to be my thing, right?

10 hours ago, pdh12 said:

also @flungoutofspace, i believe, who recommended that sufjan side-D thing---so great for writing!!! 

isn't it? i've been listening to a lot of that and max ritcher on repeat as i work (or attempt to, whilst i try not to freak out about *gesticulates wildly* this.) 

13 hours ago, sugilite said:

Same! I'm at the airport now and there's a piece by Sara Ahmed talking about the limbo of the airport and it fits in perfectly wit the limbo of my life at the moment! 

ohh what's the piece? i'd love to read it!
also, if you -- or anyone else -- are looking for other literature on the limbo of the airport, olga tokarczuk's flights is an exquisite novel in fragments that addresses the topic rather brilliantly, i think.

10 hours ago, bardie said:

@flungoutofspace I totally feel you. I have a new appreciation for Beckett. 

i'm currently reading a lot of beckett for class, and i must say, i've never really felt the frustration and absurdity and absolute misery of his never-ending loops more than i do right now. imagine endgame, but with me and uchicago-- 

chicago: we'll notify you of your admission status now. 
me: then i'll know i've been rejected and fall into a state of utter despair. 
chicago: we'll let you know that you aren't going to be interviewed. you'll be wondering if you've been admitted all the time. 
me: then i won't know if i've been rejected. 
???

one of the professors i mentioned in one of my SOPs has just followed me on twitter. i am sure it is a very mundane and insignificant decision, but hopefully he isn't a sadist who wants to watch the carnage unfold when my rejection comes in :P 

Edited by dangermouse

@FiguresIII yes, "something is taking its course..." but all i really want to know -- and want not to know at the same time -- is which courses i will be taking in a year, as well as where i'll be taking said courses. 

sorry, it's a terrible joke. i'll see myself out. but before i do, i must say, i love the bersani as well! (though given my professor's project, which he's currently exploring in the seminar that i'm taking, he does have a quibble with both bersani and beckett, i think.) 

@kendalldinniene omg had a sympathetic jolt just reading that. 

@FiguresIII congrats to your three interviews--wow!! Looks like this cycle will bear fruit for some of us!

edit: did anyone else apply to Rutgers' Comp Lit? DGS said they hope to make notifications this week!

Edited by pdh12

20 hours ago, sugilite said:

Same! I'm at the airport now and there's a piece by Sara Ahmed talking about the limbo of the airport and it fits in perfectly wit the limbo of my life at the moment! 

Omg Sara Ahmed is amazing. I’ve only read The Promise of Happiness, what else have you read by her? I hope we’re talking about the same “feminist killjoy” lol 

Hey guys-- any thoughts on Stanford and UCLA? I have them down as possibly getting back this week. And UChicago-- are we thinking late this week or next?

Hang in there everyone ?‍♀️

10 minutes ago, bardie said:

Hey guys-- any thoughts on Stanford and UCLA? I have them down as possibly getting back this week. And UChicago-- are we thinking late this week or next?

Hang in there everyone ?‍♀️

I have Stanford down for the first week of February and UCLA for the second week.

Fingers crossed we all get some good news very soon!

@placeinspace @bardie it'll likely depend on when the interviews take place, no? post-interview turnaround has always been be pretty quick for chicago, so they'll likely begin to notify a day or two after interviews conclude.

Edited by flungoutofspace

14 minutes ago, bardie said:

@placeinspace @flungoutofspace @kendalldinniene Thank you all for your projections. I think Chicago interviews are concluding on Tuesday so that makes me nervous. I bet we will know by Friday. ? This is all happening so quickly (but also not quickly enough)!

1 hour ago, placeinspace said:

@bardie I'm assuming this week for Chicago - last year they notified on Jan 30!

Chicago should post decisions early feb -- although it could be this week, depending on how fast people work, it may well be next week.

1 minute ago, swarthmawr said:

During my interview they said they expect decisions to be out before this Friday for Chicago! 

?.....My heart is in my stomach. 

Why is it that today of all days THREE of my friends have called me "just to chat," when this is not a common practice in any of my friendships!?  My roommates all chuckled as I hastily turned over my phone and let out a melodramatic sigh of disappointment to find out it was a friend calling each time.

It also doesn't help that my e-mail is blowing up with marketing and spam messages, adding to the anxious hellfire.  This is going to be a loooong week. 

2 minutes ago, bardie said:

?.....My heart is in my stomach. 

Ice cream, STAT! I’m gonna stock up today, I think. 

Man, I wish that cinema studies departments were as communicative as English folks. I've been forced to sort of just assume that they will operate on a similar-ish timeline.

15 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

Ice cream, STAT! I’m gonna stock up today, I think. 

Last night I splurged on a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I usually don't budget for snacks of any kind, especially not pricey ones like that!). Hopefully it'll get me through the week!