Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys!!

I am on the waitlist at Tennessee! I noticed several on the results page. Anyone have details on their waitlist? Within their English department, there are three different concentrations. Are the waitlists different depending on the concentration?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dilby said:

brilliant idea @mandelbulb, here is the meme:

 vdUOxn8.png

as an aside (heh), this is basically my version of Caesar putting aside the crown three times before accepting it

This meme is everything I needed and so much more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is random, but has anyone else listened to Vampire Weekend's new music yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mwils15 said:

This is random, but has anyone else listened to Vampire Weekend's new music yet?

!!!! gonna have to now !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mwils15 @northwestnative I just listened bc of this! Wow, I'm loving it, it feels a little more melodic and poppy than some of their old stuff. 

Has anyone else listened to Better Oblivion Community Center, the new collaboration between Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes) and Phoebe Bridgers!? I just found it this morning and I'm obsessed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bopie5 This is my first post here, mostly motivated by my wanting to respond to your comment on Better Oblivion Community Center. I love/am in love with Phoebe Bridgers. Already listened to the album 3 times through. Excellent Sad Mood Tunes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

Longtime lurker, just making an account to reply to this. A professor of mine was supervised by Berlant, and this professor told me Chicago would not interview candidates they were certain they wished to accept; doing so, after all, would be a waste of resources. She said that the candidates who are interviewed are candidates which the university is "on the fence" about—candidates with, say, a lower GPA or GRE, but an interesting SOP. (Or vice versa.) Hence why, on another forum, an individual who called Chicago said something along the lines of "interviews don't indicate application standing. They're for extra questions about projects."

This is all to say: the candidates that the University of Chicago accepts are not always the candidates that are asked to interview, or who receive interviews. So, don't fret if you have not received an interview; if you have, good luck. Rejections are rejections only when they're finalized. 

While this is probably reassuring for people who didn’t get an interview, it’s also a bit disheartening for those of us who did— and it kind of unecessarily pits the two groups against one another (which I’m sure you didn’t intend to do, @jonnyboy, so certainly nothing against your person or your verbiage). I wonder if, in the spirit of your sentiment that “rejections are rejections only when they’re finalised,” if this information from your professor is constructive at the moment. I agree that “implied” rejections are also problematic, but I for one am very freaked out about my interview, so I wonder what information like this contributes to the discussion at the moment. 

No disrespect intended at all, by the way. I just want to communicate that since this is an extremely stressful time for almost all of us, in which many of us are constantly questioning our own merits as applicants, it might not be very helpful to hear this after we’ve already submitted applications and begun to hear back. I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, either. 

For what it’s worth, I think everyone on this thread brings something valuable and unique to the table, and this forum has generally been an excellent resource and support system throughout this process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a completely random note, even though I acknowledge I'm feeling quite impatient right now as I didn't apply to any of the schools that notify in January, I'm also very impressed with the admissions committees who went through applications during break! Delivering interview requests and decisions just a little over a month after applications were due is impressive, especially considering it was through the holiday season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

While this is probably reassuring for people who didn’t get an interview, it’s also a bit disheartening for those of us who did— and it kind of unecessarily pits the two groups against one another (which I’m sure you didn’t intend to do, @jonnyboy, so certainly nothing against your person or your verbiage). I wonder if, in the spirit of your sentiment that “rejections are rejections only when they’re finalised,” if this information from your professor is constructive at the moment. I agree that “implied” rejections are also problematic, but I for one am very freaked out about my interview, so I wonder what information like this contributes to the discussion at the moment. 

No disrespect intended at all, by the way. I just want to communicate that since this is an extremely stressful time for almost all of us, in which many of us are constantly questioning our own merits as applicants, it might not be very helpful to hear this after we’ve already submitted applications and begun to hear back. I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, either. 

For what it’s worth, I think everyone on this thread brings something valuable and unique to the table, and this forum has generally been an excellent resource and support system throughout this process. 

Totally did not mean to pit the two groups against one another. There has just been a lot of speculation across the boards by those who have not been contacted for interviews — and for those who were contacted, but did not receive a Skype time — and I wanted to provide information that would make these individuals feel slightly more comfortable in their application status. That, for me, is what this information contributed, and I apologize if you feel otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how to gwt Any Millenial to crack a nuclear code: promise epic meme delivery xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

Totally did not mean to pit the two groups against one another. There has just been a lot of speculation across the boards by those who have not been contacted for interviews — and for those who were contacted, but did not receive a Skype time — and I wanted to provide information that would make these individuals feel slightly more comfortable in their application status. That, for me, is what this information contributed, and I apologize if you feel otherwise. 

I don't have a dog in this fight (didn't apply to Chicago), but I imagine that the people who didn't get interviews were in fact relieved by your message, so from a utilitarian perspective, I think you made the right call.  To those who have interviews, seems like you're still incredibly close to acceptance, and maybe it's good to know that you have to push yourselves across the finish line (and not just avoid any screwups) during the interview.   Good luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renzo said:

I don't have a dog in this fight (didn't apply to Chicago), but I imagine that the people who didn't get interviews were in fact relieved by your message, so from a utilitarian perspective, I think you made the right call.  To those who have interviews, seems like you're still incredibly close to acceptance, and maybe it's good to know that you have to push yourselves across the finish line (and not just avoid any screwups) during the interview.   Good luck to everyone!

Bentham would be proud ❤️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my undergrad institution is where they keep jeremy bentham's beautiful mummified corpse on display. i still think about him wistfully sometimes - we shared a lot of good memories, him encased in his glass cabinet, me proudly showing him off to uneasy prospective students...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea, part of the conceit of this group feels like a collectively self-acknowledged masochism...like, i’ve long ago bitten the evil apple and in that spirit would definitely want more brutalizing news rather than less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dangermouse said:

my undergrad institution is where they keep jeremy bentham's beautiful mummified corpse on display. i still think about him wistfully sometimes - we shared a lot of good memories, him encased in his glass cabinet, me proudly showing him off to uneasy prospective students...

Lol I've heard he's required to be in the room during philosophy department meetings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Lol I've heard he's required to be in the room during philosophy department meetings

he has a LOT of opinions, it is very difficult for anyone else to get a word in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swarthmawr said:

While this is probably reassuring for people who didn’t get an interview, it’s also a bit disheartening for those of us who did— and it kind of unecessarily pits the two groups against one another (which I’m sure you didn’t intend to do, @jonnyboy, so certainly nothing against your person or your verbiage). I wonder if, in the spirit of your sentiment that “rejections are rejections only when they’re finalised,” if this information from your professor is constructive at the moment. I agree that “implied” rejections are also problematic, but I for one am very freaked out about my interview, so I wonder what information like this contributes to the discussion at the moment. 

No disrespect intended at all, by the way. I just want to communicate that since this is an extremely stressful time for almost all of us, in which many of us are constantly questioning our own merits as applicants, it might not be very helpful to hear this after we’ve already submitted applications and begun to hear back. I don’t mean to speak for anyone else, either. 

For what it’s worth, I think everyone on this thread brings something valuable and unique to the table, and this forum has generally been an excellent resource and support system throughout this process. 

To be fair, GradCafe isn't exactly the place to be reassured. It's the place we come to get any information on the programs. For most of us, much of that information is going to be disheartening. Ultimately, information is information and will be useful to some, reassuring others and unnerving for the rest. Any information any of us shares after applications have been submitted can be dangerous in this way (for instance, Warelin has made the opposite argument multiple times: that Chicago seems to only accept people from the interview list). I think we just have to hope for the best and power through. And as someone said, if this is true, this information can be helpful to someone being interviewed. For those of us with no news, this is but a green light across the bay with no real significance (and going the other way, the comment could be construed as disheartening for this camp because it gives false hope). Most of us with no news will be rejected, maybe some won't. But I don't want anyone to be discouraged any information because next cycle there will be others like us panicking over Chicago and it could help them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Any information any of us shares after applications have been submitted can be dangerous in this way (for instance, Warelin has made the opposite argument multiple times: that Chicago seems to only accept people from the interview list).

Chicago's interviewing is a fairly recent development. (2 years ago?) From scouting the boards in previous years, nobody has received an offer in those two years without being interviewed first. This information could very well change from year to year or even from professor to professor. There might be some professors who know who they want to accept while others may need more information to come to their selection. These professors are going to be spending a significant amount of time with each cohort so choosing the "best fit" can be difficult. I do think it's also important to note that The Grad Cafe is a small community. We often cannot capture all the acceptances that occur. Often, acceptances do occur over a period of 2-3 days.

Equally important (and this bears repeating over and over until you ALL remember it), you are more than an application. A rejection doesn't mean you weren't good enough. It just means that the school was incredibly competitive, tough decisions were made and they thought other people would be a "better fit". It doesn't mean you won't get in next time or that you should stop trying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.