5 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

fun fact: if i hadn't already hammered the nail in the Penn State Interview coffin (Very Likely), i definitely did when i emailed them asking how the Rutgers deliberations were going.......FMLLLLLLLLL

Aw! If anything, I'll bet they had an empathetic laugh and moved on with whatever conversation they were having before. They already knew where else you were applying and there's no way a little email flub would impact their opinion of you. :) 

Hi everyone! I was accepted into OSU's MA/PhD and, while I haven't officially accepted the offer, I'm pretty sure I'm will! I just wanted to say hi on here to anyone else who might be going to the visit day in April or who might want to chat about why they may or may not be accepting their offer. Also, if there's anyone like me who's almost for sure going, I'm already living in the Columbus area, (though I will be moving closer to campus if I accept the offer) and would be happy to give any advice about moving to Columbus or finding a place in Columbus at some point if that would be in any way helpful to anyone. Congrats to all who got in...I'm super excited to meet you!

7 hours ago, bardie said:

I'm lactose intolerant ?

My Xanax and I will comfort each other... (Me to my therapist: "I just need something, you don't understand, my life flashes before my eyes every time I refresh my email." Her: "Alright, fine. I'll do this for you. But just this once.")

Trader Joes has this ahmazing coconut milk ice cream if you ever get a chance to try it. Goes well with Xanax, I’ve heard. 

8 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Last night I splurged on a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I usually don't budget for snacks of any kind, especially not pricey ones like that!). Hopefully it'll get me through the week!

Ooh, Phish Food? Ben & Jerry’s is worth it, this week. 

7 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

Ooh, Phish Food? Ben & Jerry’s is worth it, this week. 

I actually got Milk & Cookies, which is maybe my favorite ice cream in the entire world. Exactly what my heart needs this week. 

17 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

I actually got Milk & Cookies, which is maybe my favorite ice cream in the entire world. Exactly what my heart needs this week. 

You inspired me, I just made a milkshake and it did make me feel better

Just now, kendalldinniene said:

You inspired me, I just made a milkshake and it did make me feel better

Right!? I've been eating ice cream and binge watching the newer season of American Crime Story every night and it is a good way to cope. Also went stargazing in the middle of the night with a dear friend of mine on Saturday and I highly recommend it for anyone who feels like this process has sapped away the poetic parts of their soul.

53 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Right!? I've been eating ice cream and binge watching the newer season of American Crime Story every night and it is a good way to cope. Also went stargazing in the middle of the night with a dear friend of mine on Saturday and I highly recommend it for anyone who feels like this process has sapped away the poetic parts of their soul.

I devoured that season last week! 

And I had an amazing conversation about extra uterine gestation with someone at a party last week that jolted my academic lit brain back into action.  I’ve been looking at UPenn’s call for papers site and I think I’m going to get back to work to distract/nourish myself.

First thing I do upon waking is check my email and then my application portal for the two schools that should be notifying the soonest. Is there a technology addiction recovery program specifically for grad school applicants? I think I need one... ?

9 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

First thing I do upon waking is check my email and then my application portal for the two schools that should be notifying the soonest. Is there a technology addiction recovery program specifically for grad school applicants? I think I need one... ?

I’ve been updating my e-mails every 4 or 5 minutes since 9am (which is so very stupid because my 9am is midnight in US CT). This waiting is pure torture... ? 

29 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

This is basically my routine. It’s  a problem. 

I just got an email from Duke saying to check my application portal because a decision has been made....but it says no decision made!?!?!?!??!  Did anyone else receive an email? 

26 minutes ago, alexisnj said:

I just got an email from Duke saying to check my application portal because a decision has been made....but it says no decision made!?!?!?!??!  Did anyone else receive an email? 

just cleared my cache and reloaded the site and it was a rejection. 

Edited by flungoutofspace

Throwing my hat into the ring of rejected Duke applicants. Surprisingly not that disappointed, and still holding out a bit of hope on other programs. It also doesn't hurt the morale that I just found out a few days ago that I'm a semifinalist for a Fulbright grant... so I can treat my wounds with some nice ego-soothing salve. 

Continuing to wish you all the best of luck with the upcoming decision announcements!

Also, a related query: does anyone know if there are still funded Masters programs accepting applications??

I got a Duke rejection as well. It's my first official rejection, and I actually feel incredibly relieved to know something. 

I haven't posted much recently, but congratulations to everyone accepted so far! Your acceptances are keeping me afloat. ❤️ 

I've been lurking for some time back here. I too received my first rejection. I am also a fated Duke rejection (though I almost expected it). Congrats to those accepted! 

@conraddy check this thread out:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/106843-funded-english-ma-programs/

that said, not sure how accurate it is, or whether any are still accepting. Villanova is still accepting, and they offer tuition for both years and a stipend to about 5-7 new admits per year.

8 minutes ago, conraddy said:

Also, a related query: does anyone know if there are still funded Masters programs accepting applications??

Bucknell accepts until Feb. 1.  That might be a little tight because it looks like they want some materials sent directly to them.

5 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

wish i'd applied to duke just to be in this ben n jerry's commiseration club. 

it's alright, as long as you BYOB (bring your own ben n jerry's), you can always join the club! ?

Did any of the comp lit peeps on here apply to UCLA? Trawling back through the results page, it looks like they've posted results around the last week of Jan in the past - but last year people still hadn't heard anything by mid-April! Not sure if I should be refreshing their portal every 5 mins, or putting them out of my mind for another three months...anyone in the same boat?