2019 Applicants

26 minutes ago, alexisnj said:

I just got an email from Duke saying to check my application portal because a decision has been made....but it says no decision made!?!?!?!??!  Did anyone else receive an email? 

just cleared my cache and reloaded the site and it was a rejection. 

Edited by flungoutofspace

Throwing my hat into the ring of rejected Duke applicants. Surprisingly not that disappointed, and still holding out a bit of hope on other programs. It also doesn't hurt the morale that I just found out a few days ago that I'm a semifinalist for a Fulbright grant... so I can treat my wounds with some nice ego-soothing salve. 

Continuing to wish you all the best of luck with the upcoming decision announcements!

I got a Duke rejection as well. It's my first official rejection, and I actually feel incredibly relieved to know something. 

I haven't posted much recently, but congratulations to everyone accepted so far! Your acceptances are keeping me afloat. ❤️ 

@conraddy check this thread out:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/106843-funded-english-ma-programs/

that said, not sure how accurate it is, or whether any are still accepting. Villanova is still accepting, and they offer tuition for both years and a stipend to about 5-7 new admits per year.

8 minutes ago, conraddy said:

Also, a related query: does anyone know if there are still funded Masters programs accepting applications??

Bucknell accepts until Feb. 1.  That might be a little tight because it looks like they want some materials sent directly to them.

Did any of the comp lit peeps on here apply to UCLA? Trawling back through the results page, it looks like they've posted results around the last week of Jan in the past - but last year people still hadn't heard anything by mid-April! Not sure if I should be refreshing their portal every 5 mins, or putting them out of my mind for another three months...anyone in the same boat?

8 minutes ago, dreid said:

Did any of the comp lit peeps on here apply to UCLA? Trawling back through the results page, it looks like they've posted results around the last week of Jan in the past - but last year people still hadn't heard anything by mid-April! Not sure if I should be refreshing their portal every 5 mins, or putting them out of my mind for another three months...anyone in the same boat?

yes but with Berkeley English because they have sent out results as early as the 30th or as late as mid feb...

2 hours ago, conraddy said:

Also, a related query: does anyone know if there are still funded Masters programs accepting applications??

Yes, Bucknell and the University of Vermont are accepting applicants until February 1st. Both are good, fully funded programs. Someone else may be able to weigh in with more.

45 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Could any one help me? I am highly stressed. I have applied for a PhD in January 3rd deadline, but have not received any email regarding Gate and Trust scholarships and interview. Does anyone when the interview invitations will be emailed? Or have the emails already sent to people who have been selected for an interview? 

Could any one help me please?? I am very stressed. I have applied for a PhD in January 3rd deadline, but have not received any email regarding Gate and Trust scholarships and interview. Does anyone know when the interview invitations will be emailed? Or have the emails already been sent to people who have been selected for an interview? 

i received some really nice words from one of my letter writers today basically reminding me that pretty much everyone in academia experiences rejection--multiple forms of rejection--at pretty much every step. from PhD programs, from fellowships, from postdoc positions, from jobs even after a grueling interview process, from journals, from publishers. it may not all feel as horrible as what we feel right now, but certainly we will be rejected in some form again even if we believe in ourselves and believe in our research. it's all about persistence, so don't let the rejection kill your ambition :)

1 hour ago, dreid said:

Last year UCLA switched systems midway through the cycle and extended the deadline as a result so everything took longer.

1 hour ago, Dogfish Head said:

Yes, Bucknell and the University of Vermont are accepting applicants until February 1st. Both are good, fully funded programs. Someone else may be able to weigh in with more.

I finished applying to Bucknell last week. They do require that you send a hard copy of your transcript from your institution. However, there would be no harm in emailing them and asking if they would accept it arriving after the deadline. They do have a very simple application process aside from that. No login portal, you just fill out an online form and recommenders send their letters directly via email (only two required). 

14 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Last year UCLA switched systems midway through the cycle and extended the deadline as a result so everything took longer.

Thanks so much, that's really helpful to know! Perpetual refreshing it is then, I guess....is it March yet?

13 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

side note: the northern midwest is in a polar vortex right now, and everything's shut down...this *could * cause a latency with notifications

I was thinking this exact same thing. Blerghhhhhh why must the weather thwart us like this