2019 Applicants

@kendalldinniene I just thought of one more piece of advice for conferences: make sure to avoid the future tense in your abstract. Essentially, the abstract should read as though the paper you plan to present is already written (even if it isn't, which is often the case). So, instead of saying something like, "This paper will examine such and such and do such and such," it should read, "This paper examines x and does y."

Just now, j.alicea said:

@kendalldinniene I just thought of one more piece of advice for conferences: make sure to avoid the future tense in your abstract. Essentially, the abstract should read as though the paper you plan to present is already written (even if it isn't, which is often the case). So, instead of saying something like, "This paper will examine such and such and do such and such," it should read, "This paper examines x and does y."

Good to know, thank you!

What's the general opinion on contacting departments (specifically the DGS) for more information on applicant status/some idea of when decisions will be made and released? I have seen on the forum that some people contact the DGS for this information but I'm wondering when (and if) it's ever appropriate. Two of the schools I applied to typically notify in January and it doesn't seem like many people on the forum this year applied to either school -- I haven't heard from them and am exceedingly curious about when I might hear back. 

I guess that's just the nature of the waiting game but I wish I had a better idea of when they plan to notify applicants. Has anyone ever inquired about this and received any concrete answers? 

3 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

What's the general opinion on contacting departments (specifically the DGS) for more information on applicant status/some idea of when decisions will be made and released? I have seen on the forum that some people contact the DGS for this information but I'm wondering when (and if) it's ever appropriate. Two of the schools I applied to typically notify in January and it doesn't seem like many people on the forum this year applied to either school -- I haven't heard from them and am exceedingly curious about when I might hear back. 

I guess that's just the nature of the waiting game but I wish I had a better idea of when they plan to notify applicants. Has anyone ever inquired about this and received any concrete answers? 

I did it last year once or twice.  If the results are late in coming (compared to previous years), I don't see a problem with dropping an email asking for a progress update, essentially.  That's just my two cents.

26 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

You could also just call the department? Then (not that it likely matters) they're not connecting you personally to the question. 

10 minutes ago, Sav said:

You could also just call the department? Then (not that it likely matters) they're not connecting you personally to the question. 

That's a good idea! I am pretty nervous about phone calls, but that does provide a semblance of anonymity. Thanks!

Just now, natalielouise said:

That's a good idea! I am pretty nervous about phone calls, but that does provide a semblance of anonymity. Thanks!

lol I'm not sure what this suggests about my maturity or adulthood but I got my friend to call a department for me once?

5 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

I'm still hoping to hear something today... even if that's unlikely.

Ugh same this is killing me. I can't focus on anything else. 

Didn't you have an interview? How did it go?

3 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Nope, not me! That's why I'm so desperate to hear, I want a solid rejection so I can move on! ?

Ugh sorry I keep confusing people. I need faces to connect with events (but I too haven't put up a photo). We can be there for each other when we get rejected. 

Anyway, this is really killing me today. I turned my phone alerts on for my decision email this morning and used the ringtone "suspense" as I kind of cruel personal joke, which I do not recommend...  the suspense is horribly anticlimactic when it's Vitacost reminding you that there are still items in your cart ?

On 1/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, WildeThing said:

I have Boston College, Vanderbilt, Maryland, and Northwestern down for responses this week (also Chicago but having not received an interview request I am taking that one as a loss). I really hope this will be a good week since the following week i only had Rice, who have already notified apparently. The two weeks after that should be the major ones, as all but 1 of the remaining schools should be notifying acceptances over that period.

Did you hear from Maryland this week? Or you have that they are sending  decisions? They’re one that I check OBSESSIVELY since it was due so early...  

1 hour ago, bardie said:

Ugh sorry I keep confusing people. I need faces to connect with events (but I too haven't put up a photo). We can be there for each other when we get rejected. 

Anyway, this is really killing me today. I turned my phone alerts on for my decision email this morning and used the ringtone "suspense" as I kind of cruel personal joke, which I do not recommend...  the suspense is horribly anticlimactic when it's Vitacost reminding you that there are still items in your cart ?

Lol I love using personal jokes to simply torture myself mercilessly in times of hardship ???

On 1/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, WildeThing said:

I have Boston College, Vanderbilt, Maryland, and Northwestern down for responses this week (also Chicago but having not received an interview request I am taking that one as a loss). I really hope this will be a good week since the following week i only had Rice, who have already notified apparently. The two weeks after that should be the major ones, as all but 1 of the remaining schools should be notifying acceptances over that period.

After the Duke rejection, Vanderbilt is next up on my list. Do any of you have an approximation on Baylor's notification? Based on what I've seen they seem to be within the next couple of weeks.