September Top Posters

TGCA

The top posters report wasn't posted in the slow months in past years, so it seems "slower" as many of the users who only use the site during application season aren't here yet. However, the Community Activity report shows a 15% increase over the first week in Oct 2017, so the forum is actually more active than last year.

@Adelaide9216 - what gives you the feeling the forum is less active? I'm curious so we can work to improve it.

Wow, I did not know about these stats. I think I got this impression because the previous moderators were very active in the sense that they were very present on the forum giving a lot of information, insight, sharing their own experiences in graduate school. I felt like they were "mentors" to many of us, especially for me who's just starting in graduate school & academia.

Edited by Adelaide9216

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Wow, I did not know about these stats. I think I got this impression because the previous moderators were very active in the sense that they were very present on the forum giving a lot of information, insight, sharing their own experiences in graduate school. I felt like they were "mentors" to many of us, especially for me who's just starting in graduate school & academia.

I think we're in an era of a lot of changes coming to grad schools. Policies are changing due to changes in USA law. Some schools are dropping GRE requirements or are in the middle of revamping how they choose who to admit or how their curriculum to work. Many of us remain active in our own forums. On the Literature forum, there wasn't much of ad admin presence in the past; now there is.There are other forums that lacked much of an admin presence but now have one. I'm wondering if the reason you feel that we're less active is because we're active on different forums?

While the previous admins had a lot of knowledge in the Sciences, a lot of us are more comfortable with the Humanities. As a result, I think the knowledge that we feel comfortable sharing is very different from previous admins. I think we're all making an effort to be active on different forums but we don't want to give any misleading advice.