2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

1 minute ago, FL407 said:

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

Congrats! The admissions process is weird and illogical at times but I'm sure UNC has a reason that they want you :)

Just now, FL407 said:

UNC is a fantastic department and Chapel Hill is super pretty. They've got great people there, it's an awesome choice. Congrats to you!

1 minute ago, schuaust said:

I just want something from Northwestern, lol. There and Berkeley are the only schools I've applied to that have released any decisions. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far! 

Same lol. Though I have a feeling (from what the admissions office said, etc) that there are few (if any) spots left and it's going to be a while before they make any definitive decisions.. Can't wait to get an email in March lmao. It's definitely nice though to see all these acceptances rolling in here though :) 

28 minutes ago, FL407 said:

Congratulations - wonderful news! You've gotten into a world-class department and I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you. But I urge you to withdraw your applications from the remaining schools, see the posted link for some inspiration. There are a lot of waitlisted folks out there (and folks who will be waitlisted) who feel exactly the way you did after being rejected from Arizona. I applied as a theorist so none of this applies to me. Now go celebrate your amazing UNC acceptance!!!

10 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

Congratulations - wonderful news! You've gotten into a world-class department and I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you. But I urge you to withdraw your applications from the remaining schools, see the posted link for some inspiration. There are a lot of waitlisted folks out there (and folks who will be waitlisted) who feel exactly the way you did after being rejected from Arizona. I applied as a theorist so none of this applies to me. Now go celebrate your amazing UNC acceptance!!!

Thanks for the info and I will definitely do this later today ?

2 minutes ago, pcc123 said:

Also accepted in UNC this morning. Honestly was really surprised but can't be happier. Seems like this is going to be a big week of hearing from places

Also within the American subfield?

FYI, UNC sends their acceptances out (typically) with personalized contact from POIs. All the admissions decisions were made last week, but they will likely trickle out for a while. 

*Am UNC grad student. 

**Also, PM me with questions about UNC. 

15 minutes ago, FL407 said:

Thanks for the info and I will definitely do this later today ?

Hey I hate to go against the grain here but I'd really recommend against pulling out of all other schools before you know definitively about funding, especially if Vanderbilt is at play (because it's a $$$ private school with money to give out). You never know if you'll be able to leverage it to get a better stipend, or if some other unexpected stuff happens. 

6 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Hey I hate to go against the grain here but I'd really recommend against pulling out of all other schools before you know definitively about funding, especially if Vanderbilt is at play (because it's a $$$ private school with money to give out). You never know if you'll be able to leverage it to get a better stipend, or if some other unexpected stuff happens. 

Agreed! Would wait before withdrawing till you get final decisions and you know for sure. 

14 minutes ago, StrengthandHonor said:

FYI, UNC sends their acceptances out (typically) with personalized contact from POIs. All the admissions decisions were made last week, but they will likely trickle out for a while. 

*Am UNC grad student. 

Does that mean if I haven't heard anything from UNC yet I shouldn't panic?

15 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I also 100 percent agree. Not to sound like an ass, but you shouldn't jeopardize your future success to help other people get acceptances. Wait it out and see what other options you have. You're obviously a competitive applicant and shouldn't settle on the first acceptance in case you have other amazing options in store for you.

1 hour ago, FL407 said:

Congratulations- did you get the offer after an interview? 

3 minutes ago, diekuge said:

Does anyone have any insights or news about UCSD, Princeton, or NYU for American? They announced roughly around this time last year and hope to hear from them soon!

Princeton American acceptances are already out. Waiting on NYU and UCSD and those should hopefully be soon. 

23 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Princeton American acceptances are already out. Waiting on NYU and UCSD and those should hopefully be soon. 

Do you have a guess for why rejections haven't been sent out yet? Wisconsin-Madison and Princeton both seem to notify rejections a week or more after acceptances. And it's not like they were still deliberating after the first wave of acceptances were sent out.

1 hour ago, humanpinata said:

I also 100 percent agree. Not to sound like an ass, but you shouldn't jeopardize your future success to help other people get acceptances. Wait it out and see what other options you have. You're obviously a competitive applicant and shouldn't settle on the first acceptance in case you have other amazing options in store for you.

My advise to FL407 is based on the assumptions that he 1. has a funding offer hand and 2. that none of the remaining schools compare in ranking and quality to UNC making it unlikely that UNC will add to its offer.

1 hour ago, StrengthandHonor said:

*Am UNC grad student. 

Hi! Do you know if theory decisions for UNC have been released yet?