2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

13 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Congrats to everyone in! Can I ask everyone that got in if they got similar funding? My package says approx 94k. I've heard they sometimes give more so if you're one of them extra congrats! 

Yep, around 94k.

Has anyone heard anything from University of Washington - Seattle? I saw two acceptances on the results page, but they seemed to only be from American politics...I also feel awkward calling so early on...xD 

Fingers crossed they are still sending out acceptances ?

Also congrats to those who have been admitted -- still waiting on my first acceptance 

Edited by timeaelizabeth

Just now, Chronicoverthinker said:

anyone here still sitting on no acceptances? i'm despairing and considering applying for an emergency masters. anyone know of any programs still taking applications?

Me :wacko: Granted, I have only heard back from four (one of them, GW, was waitlist) and have 14 more I am awaiting...but I feel for you.. But don't lose hope! Also, I don't know of any programs still accepting unfortunately, but you could always apply for the next cycle of masters/Spring 2020 start if it's too late for Fall 2019 start, maybe?  I know Masters programs usually allows Fall and Spring starts. I might do that too, as a Plan B 

5 minutes ago, Chronicoverthinker said:

anyone here still sitting on no acceptances? i'm despairing and considering applying for an emergency masters. anyone know of any programs still taking applications?

@Me I've have two rejections, one waitlist, and two pending. Honestly i've written off the two pending as rejections as they have higher stats than the one rejection and the one waitlist. 

Ive applied to a number of jobs and actually have an interview set up on Friday. I figure if I don't get in this round i'll work for a year, retake the GRE (my weakest point) and then reapply next cycle. I already have a list of about 8 schools that I'd apply to.  

12 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

If you have money, I think the uchicago ones still are. 

UChicago CIR is reviewing files now and takes apps til April 30. 

Same for UChicago MAPSS & Computational Social Science. CIR is a better program for going the Poli Sci PhD path - smaller cohort & more focus.

No acceptances here. Though I have only heard from one school so far. I am pretty nervous now, and I am looking into contingency plans. Does CIR give much financial assistance? I already have an MSc from a big UK uni T-3, so I wonder if that would be worth it for me.

53 minutes ago, misaki_rabbit said:

No acceptances yet. Although this is kind of expected since I screwed up my writing sample. I'm probably not going to apply again for at least 5 years. Shall start applying for jobs in March.

Don't be discouraged. I only heard back from one school yet and I have a total of 15 pending applications. I did not hear back from any of the others yet. 

49 minutes ago, mackeycold said:

Anyone else get funding from UW today? And anyone have ideas on when UC Davis and TAMU should be sending decisions? 

I got funding from UW today (a letter anyway), and it was about what I expected.

1 hour ago, humanpinata said:

I got funding from UW today (a letter anyway), and it was about what I expected.

Assuming UW means Madison (sorry if I'm wrong) - I got that today as well, plus a semi-generic email from one of my faculty members of interest. Funding is pretty thin tho.

Also claiming an IR acceptance from Emory.

Edited by irgradcafe

10 minutes ago, pp30 said:

What about Brown and Northwestern? 

I crazily wait for an answer from Brown with a friend of mine. I saw several people who got admitted to the IR and Political Theory tracks in Brown. They each admitted four people so a total of 8. I e-mailed to the department today to hear from them, but they did not answer yet. I hope I get an answer tomorrow and update here. As information, I and my friend both applied for the IR track. I am an international student with a master from the USA, and my friend is American. 

6 hours ago, eggsalad14 said:

Got a Duke decision, complete with financial aid 

Hi there, got pretty impressed with your progress so far as i’ve been lookin thru this post.. you seem to be winning every school you’ve applied to, and i’m really curious at this point what your research interest is. There must be a real strong one to get you thru ;)

4 minutes ago, Vanila cream said:

Hi there, got pretty impressed with your progress so far as i’ve been lookin thru this post.. you seem to be winning every school you’ve applied to, and i’m really curious at this point what your research interest is. There must be a real strong one to get you thru ;)

Thanks for the nice words. I think I just got really lucky with my letter writers saying really really nice things about me honestly. I'd say I'm a pretty generic Americanist (behavior) and my interests within that subfield are all over the place. 

5 hours ago, Theoryboi said:

No acceptances here. Though I have only heard from one school so far. I am pretty nervous now, and I am looking into contingency plans. Does CIR give much financial assistance? I already have an MSc from a big UK uni T-3, so I wonder if that would be worth it for me.

Yes. More than most other US programs it seems. CIR gives a non-trivial number of full scholarships (worth approximately $60k). They also give a significant number of partial scholarships (20k+). Plus the program is only one year.

Prof from UCSD called me last week and tried to recruit me to switch from my subfield to his. Hopefully that means my app is competitive enough to be admitted? He said he didn’t know admission decisions yet. Has anything similar happened with anyone else?

(side note: I was accepted to UT Austin for CP but just now made this account lol)