Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Just now, Mickey26 said:

LOL do you want me to email them and ask? I didn't apply to UBC so I don't have anything to lose xD

LOLOL Its okay thanks a lot! Mostly just empty venting, last year they were a bit slow to the game and only sent out invites after the 15th so I think I'll have the patience to wait until the end of the week :)

1 hour ago, foood said:

Thanks! I don't think all PI's are reaching out. My POI indicated that they have a faculty meeting next Tuesday to discuss as a group about applicants before sending out in-person invites

Any other Western applicants here and have you heard from your POI? I applied but not sure if I should be concerned or not that I haven't heard a single thing. Just curious as to how many people are being contacted by POIs vs. not!

Edited by Psychology_101_

2 minutes ago, kcm97 said:

Any news on dal? I know interviews happened a long time ago, but no communication since. I didn't apply, but my friend did and was wondering!

I think some people have been extended offers, but not sure if they have extended all offers

7 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Any other Western applicants here and have you heard from your POI? I applied but not sure if I should be concerned or not that I haven't heard a single thing. Just curious as to how many people are being contacted by POIs vs. not!

I think that user had a PI that reached out very early, no one else has heard anything. 

38 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

I applied too and I haven’t heard anything yet. 

4 hours ago, canadianpsych said:

Congrats to the person who was accepted to UofT! Would you be  willing to share your POI details? Also was this for OISE or UTSC? :)

Would also appreciate knowing this! Congrats! Feel free to DM

3 hours ago, kcm97 said:

Any news on dal? I know interviews happened a long time ago, but no communication since. I didn't apply, but my friend did and was wondering!

Hey, I was accepted :) A list of ranked applicants were forwarded to the Faculty of Graduate Studies to be reviewed mid-Jan (I'm assuming they were actually reviewed today as another prof sent me an email being all like, you should come haha). Official offers will be sent out via snail mail, to be received end of Jan. Hope that helps :)

4 hours ago, higaisha said:

LOLOL Its okay thanks a lot! Mostly just empty venting, last year they were a bit slow to the game and only sent out invites after the 15th so I think I'll have the patience to wait until the end of the week :)

Haha I gotchu :) The offer stands if you want me to email them next week XDD Fingers crossed for ya!

9 hours ago, Desperate Clinical said:

It's brand new and definitely needs some improvement, but it is VERY research intensive (way less course work than other schools). It also does not require the GRE, so some people apply if they have good grades but a less than stellar GRE score (like me). McMaster is Canada's #1 research university so the odds of it becoming accredited is very likely, but again it is a gamble.

Mac's RCT program atm is a lot like the CLEX program at UofT that was an alternative way for students to get licensure outside of a PsyD or traditional CPsych program. That program, of course, ended with the start of UTSC's program. It will likely take a bit of time (and maybe some restructuring) for it to be a full-fledged clinical program. That's probably why it isn't as well-advertised currently

1 hour ago, Jay's Brain said:

Mac's RCT program atm is a lot like the CLEX program at UofT that was an alternative way for students to get licensure outside of a PsyD or traditional CPsych program. That program, of course, ended with the start of UTSC's program. It will likely take a bit of time (and maybe some restructuring) for it to be a full-fledged clinical program. That's probably why it isn't as well-advertised currently

CLEX was different, no? From what I understood, it served as a bridge to clinical practise for people with mainly experimental degrees who wanted to get assessment/treatment skills. I wonder...

Guessing it's mostly mac people applying for their RCT thing, can't be much else that they can do outside of like, in-house practica and internships or whatever. Looked it up and there's some cool people there, maybe its worth it if someone's hellbent on a McMaster POI. 

I have some news about UBC. UBC POIs probably have already done preliminary interviews, I heard from a friend whose friend had already received invites for on-site interview. There maybe more invites sending out soon this week. I looked at their admission stats on line. It seems like they only invite very few candidates, like 4 to 7 for on-site interview. That's probably why most of us didn't hear anything.

Edited by Sagesaga

2 hours ago, Sagesaga said:

I have some news about UBC. UBC POIs probably have already done preliminary interviews, I heard from a friend whose friend had already received invites for on-site interview. There maybe more invites sending out soon this week. I looked at their admission stats on line. It seems like they only invite very few candidates, like 4 to 7 for on-site interview. That's probably why most of us didn't hear anything.

Thanks for posting. Does this include the UBC Clinical Psychology program at Okanagan? 

3 hours ago, Sagesaga said:

Thanks for this! So in that case, if we haven't heard anything yet, most likely got the boot?

4 hours ago, Sagesaga said:

what the frickity FRACK man, I knew their short-short list was tight but damn seems no one on gradcafe even got a prelim. I think my POI is going slower than others, just my hunch. 

Edited by higaisha

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

what the frickity FRACK man, I knew their short-short list was tight but damn seems no one on gradcafe even got a prelim. I think my POI is going slower than others, just my hunch. 

Just commenting to say I laughed at "frickity FRACK" and can relate to the feeling!!

8 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Just commenting to say I laughed at "frickity FRACK" and can relate to the feeling!!

FRICKITY FRACK IS MY MOOD ALL JANUARY

Btw y'all, I got rejected after Skype interview by 1 POI at Rye and 1 POI at Queen's. Normalizing rejection! It's nothing to be afraid of, and I encourage people to share their rejections as well as their acceptances and interviews here. Being turned down is part of the process, but you gotta dust yourself off and try again.

Edited by higaisha

3 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Btw y'all, I got rejected after Skype interview by 1 POI at Rye and 1 POI at Queen's. Normalizing rejection! It's nothing to be afraid of, and I encourage people to share their rejections as well as their acceptances and interviews here. Being turned down is part of the process, but you gotta dust yourself off and try again.

Yes!!! I feel like you mostly see acceptances/successes on this website, which makes those who have been rejected feel more alone when, in fact, they aren't. I will be part of this pact to normalize rejection and will let ya'll know if/when I am rejected! Thank you @higaisha for saying this!

3 minutes ago, higaisha said:

I just wanted to thank you for saying this! This is an amazing way to look at things..... I haven't been doing so well after a couple of rejections and this was really uplifting to read :) Thank you (and thank you for "frickity frack")!

26 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Just wanted to say kudos to your for making it to the interview stage! I haven't even heard back from Queen's so assuming rejection at this point. We're all in this together ya'll :)

Just now, Mickey26 said:

Just wanted to say kudos to your for making it to the interview stage! I haven't even heard back from Queen's so assuming rejection at this point. We're all in this together ya'll :)

Thanks you too! Don't stress it, my POI was just quick I think, other people are going a bit slower. I've yet to hear back from my second choice there, so not sure whats gonna happen with that either.