Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

29 minutes ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

Did anyone here apply to uOttawa? I applied to the French Stream but haven't heard anything and haven't seen anything in the forums about it. 

I didn't apply to uOttawa, but I know they're usually later in the game. They also don't have an official interview day, so I don't think they're as pressed for deadlines.

1 hour ago, brainiac6 said:

I applied to uOttawa as well, and haven’t heard anything yet. When I emailed my POI before applying she mentioned that initial invites aren’t sent out until late January/early February or even later sometimes because of how the “uOttawa timeline” is. I assume uOttawa is just a bit later in general so I wouldnt be too worried!

Thank you! I've already given up on McGill as I have not been contacted yet, so my hopes are now on Ottawa! I know the French Stream is usually less competitive but I also applied to the most competitive POI at Ottawa so.... May have screwed myself over hehe but his research is just so fun! Good luck to you and please let me know if you hear anything, I will do the same of course :)

42 minutes ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

Thank you! I've already given up on McGill as I have not been contacted yet, so my hopes are now on Ottawa! I know the French Stream is usually less competitive but I also applied to the most competitive POI at Ottawa so.... May have screwed myself over hehe but his research is just so fun! Good luck to you and please let me know if you hear anything, I will do the same of course :)

Don't give up on McGill yet! I believe approvals for interviews are just getting to POIs now! Best of luck with Ottawa :) I wish I could stay here but the only POI I wanted to work with wasn't accepting students for 2019.

9 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

Does anyone else sometimes feel like their email is broken? #postapplicationanxiety

When your email is actually broken and you're desperately waiting for IT support to do something. Aha ? ((slowly sobs)) 

4 hours ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

Did anyone here apply to uOttawa? I applied to the French Stream but haven't heard anything and haven't seen anything in the forums about it. 

There were a couple of people who were rejected on the results page a week ago. But other than that i haven't heard anything!

1 minute ago, Clinicalpsyc12 said:

Yes I think so. That same my file was updated too but nothing changed. 

Mine still remains at "Under Evaluation"... I guess the waiting continues.

SFU invites have I believe all been sent out!

My understanding is that Skype interview offers were sent out yesterday so if you have not heard from SFU yet, I am truly sorry but don't fret :) if you only applied to SFU, definitely try again the next year!. One note, I know one of the profs received nearly 60 applications from which they probably invited 3...and some profs invited 6 ...so honestly, it is luck of the draw! ...I know that prof that received the 60, will prob invite a ton more next year so my point is, definitely email your POIs in advance and if that is not possible, know that the number of invites changes from year to year ...and then the number students they accept changes too, some years they take 1 student, some none and some 2-3.

If you have any questions about your upcoming interviews at UBC/SFU, feel free to give me a shout as per :) I will do my best to give you some insight

Edited by Sephix

2 minutes ago, Sephix said:

SFU invites have I believe all been sent out!

My understanding is that Skype interview offers were sent out yesterday so if you have not heard from SFU yet, I am truly sorry but don't fret :) if you only applied to SFU, definitely try again the next year!. One note, I know one of the profs received nearly 60 applications from which they probably invited 3...and some profs invited 6 ...so honestly, it is luck of the draw! ...I know that prof that received the 60, will prob invite a ton more next year so my point is, definitely email your POIs in advance and if that is not possible, know that the number of invites changes from year to year ...and then the number students they accept changes too, some years they take 1 student, some none and some 2-3.

If you have any questions about your upcoming interviews at UBC/SFU, feel free to give me a shout as per :) I will do my best to give you some insight

Thank you for this!

Do you know if invites to UBC have been sent out yet?

On 1/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, Neurophilic said:

I didn't apply to uOttawa, but I know they're usually later in the game. They also don't have an official interview day, so I don't think they're as pressed for deadlines.

I applied to UOttawa's English stream and haven't heard anything yet either

26 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

My POI invited me for dinner the night before interview day. I’m kind of terrified. Has anyone else done this ?! SOS 

Oh my gosh, someone really likes you!! :) That's so exciting!! and nerve-wracking for sure. 

My first time applying, so I've never been in said situation; however, my two cents is that your POI is very interested in taking you! I'm also doing an open house/visit to a school, in which I'll probably be grabbing lunch/dinner with my POI, however I have been accepted to the program (slightly different situation than yours). I would just say that your POI is interested in getting to know you on a one-on-one basis? :) Good luck and keep me posted! 

3 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

My POI invited me for dinner the night before interview day. I’m kind of terrified. Has anyone else done this ?! SOS 

I've had that experience before and the POI had invited their small pool of candidates to have dinner with him and his lab. I suspect it was to see the type of people each applicant was and how well we mingled with the lab. Needless to say, it made me quite anxious and it was hard not to judge myself with other students. If this is a similar set-up to your situation or even by yourself, the best advice I can give is to hold your nerves for the duration of the dinner and just be your regular self. You've made it this far because of merit but also because you are more than capable of presenting yourself the right way. Just treat it as a conversation (and that goes with the actual interview), and be your best self that night. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

I got invited to a long one-on-one (as in I'll be the sole interviewee interviewing with multiple people) for a lab in advance of the open house--which I had the option of attending. It's definitely a good thing, they want to dedicate a fair bit of time to getting to know you on a more intimate level than a more general interview day provides (hopefully not intimate like THAT though *cough* dartmouth *cough*). I don't think schools in Canada have the resources for full on weekend interviews (do ANY do weekends?), so in absence of that, some PIs might find it beneficial to squeeze in extra interview time (or just different interview conditions). 

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from U of T's Clinical Psych program yet. Noticed that my status changed to "Under Review" like others in this thread, but it's been like that for awhile now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forgive me for going OT but I can't find other threads popping off - anyone else heading to U of T's Psych MA recruitment event this week? Trying to discern whether it's more of a competitive recruitment week or if they're trying to woo us. Thanks!

Edited by eggs.pdf

37 minutes ago, eggs.pdf said:

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from U of T's Clinical Psych program yet. Noticed that my status changed to "Under Review" like others in this thread, but it's been like that for awhile now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forgive me for going OT but I can't find other threads popping off - anyone else heading to U of T's Psych MA recruitment event this week? Trying to discern whether it's more of a competitive recruitment week or if they're trying to woo us. Thanks!

I've applied for the UTSC Clinical Psych program (not OISE). I have not heard back. My status only changed to "Under Review" on January 17th. So I guess it's possible that they are still getting through all the applications, though, according to this site, one person was already invited to the in-person interview day. I imagine we will hear back this upcoming week for any interviews, at least if they are sticking to their declared timeline (in-person interviews the following week).

I wasn't aware that UofT was having a Psych MA recruitment weekend. Is it posted on the SGS website?