Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

3 hours ago, s_bellow said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone being accepted to a program without an interview? i.e. no interview day

Without any sort of interview: not to my knowledge, but some schools don't even do the formal on-campus interviews, and so the initial short skype/phone interview is all they go off of (in addition to the content of your application).

55 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Just received the official invite from the Grad program admin for Ryerson visiting day :) 

Same here! Though to others waiting, it says in the invite that not all POIs attend the interview day and instead they will arrange their own second stage of interviews with their shortlisted applicants (who to my knowledge, will NOT receive an invite to the interview day but will still be in equal consideration for admission). 

Also just got an invitation to the open house! The e-mail also said that not all POIs participate in the open house (as others have mentioned), however, they should be reaching out soon to make alternate arrangements. Apparently not attending doesn't impact how your application will be weighed, so good news!

EDIT: School is Ryerson

Edited by ventiamericano

10 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Also just got an invitation to the open house! The e-mail also said that not all POIs participate in the open house (as others have mentioned), however, they should be reaching out soon to make alternate arrangements. Apparently not attending doesn't impact how your application will be weighed, so good news!

what school is this for?

31 minutes ago, Clinicalpsyc12 said:

did anyone else receive that generic email for Concordia's open house? Is it even worth attending

Yes ? Got a jolt from the subject line, "Register for Open House" only to see it was generic. I would suggest it's not worth attending unless you already live in the area - it seems pretty general and geared towards undergrads with limited focus on grad programs. 

29 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

EDIT: School is Ryerson

Yay I’m so glad you got the email !!! 

12 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Yes ? Got a jolt from the subject line, "Register for Open House" only to see it was generic. I would suggest it's not worth attending unless you already live in the area - it seems pretty general and geared towards undergrads with limited focus on grad programs. 

I remember getting that jolt when I applied to Concordia last year haha. They sent the open house invite around the same time. 

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if invites are sent to everyone on the same day for the same school or if they are sent out on different days? Also, has anyone heard back from UBCO?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, psychedelicpsych said:

Hi everyone!

I am wondering if invites are sent to everyone on the same day for the same school or if they are sent out on different days? Also, has anyone heard back from UBCO?

Thanks!

Interview invites? Usually sent by POIs, hence, may be different days.  :)

UBCO was mentioned in the previous pages in this thread, so worth a browse (sorry didn't apply so not following too closely!)

9 hours ago, s_bellow said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone being accepted to a program without an interview? i.e. no interview day

Hey this is how I got into McGill, but I did work with the POI for a year so none was needed 

Hi all, new here. I have two questions:

- I did a Skype interview with Waterloo about a week ago. My POI said it was more of a screener interview, to see if my research interests lined up with his and that my career goals lined up with the school prior to be interviewed in person. I thought it went so, so well; I pitched a few ideas that he seemed to really like, and I thought I made it clear that my interests mapped on perfectly to his; he said that he was really impressed by my application. I've read here that some other people have been invited to the in-person interview, but that profs seem to be on their own timelines. At the end of the interview he said he'd be in contact by the end of the week, and I am pretty sure I remember him saying he would inform us either way. If he doesn't get back to me by, say, Thursday, is it appropriate to send an extremely polite follow up email? If so, how do I word it to avoid coming across as annoying?

- I got invited to Western's interview day yesterday - woo! I have never attended a full interview day though, and it's 9-6. Has anyone attended something of this nature and could give myself (and any others) some insight as to what to expect? I know I will be meeting with my POI as well as one other clinical faculty member, then the graduate students and the faculty. There's also a reception for the last two hours. But what else goes on? That doesn't seem to be enough to fit a 9-hour day. 

Thanks all! And best of luck to everyone!

15 hours ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Hey this is how I got into McGill, but I did work with the POI for a year so none was needed 

Do you know if it happens often, even when you never have a contact with your POI? These canadian universities are getting on my nerves...

23 minutes ago, Fabretti said:

Do you know if it happens often, even when you never have a contact with your POI? These canadian universities are getting on my nerves...

I doubt that it happens often, at least in clinical psychology, whether it's US or Canada... Think about it from their point of view - you have so many great applicants and you take the time to narrow down to a couple that you really like, wouldn't you at least schedule a Skype to get to know them a little? Especially since even in research-oriented programs the students still have to do clinical hours? I personally am still amazed that there are grad programs that admit without interview - when you have to work with that person closely for so many years, it helps to try to get to know them a little. It seems to me very different from undergrad.

I haven't received any interviews yet so I can commiserate how stressful the waiting can be. But I guess if you don't receive an interview request, it's a small chance you will be admitted (unless you're on the waiting list and get an interview from there). Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news :( 

7 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

OISE just sent an applicant survey and it scared me

hahaaaa....Have you applied for Adult clinical or school and child clinical at OISE? Do you know when the results are released? I have heard from some students at OISE that they didn't have an interview last years! Have you heard what the process is at OISE?

3 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Like the subject: "OISE would like your help!"... OK well I would like OISE's help in relieving my state of uncertainty!!

I was freaking out just now because I thought I didn't get the email and then I started jumping to conclusions...then I looked in my inbox and it was in my junk mail. I have never felt so mentally fragile in my life ?

Just now, gradclinical said:

hahaaaa....Have you applied for Adult clinical or school and child clinical at OISE? Do you know when the results are released? I have heard from some students at OISE that they didn't have an interview last years! Have you heard what the process is at OISE?

I applied for SCCP, mostly due to a close match with a PI there! I have heard mixed things about interviews -- mostly, I have heard some do Skype interviews, others just do a brief e-mail interview, but I have never heard of them doing in-person interviews. Hard to say if that is always going to be the case... I honestly have no idea what to expect!