Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

41 minutes ago, calvindude1111 said:

Hi everyone! I plan on applying for Fall 2020. Although it is great to congratulate each other for getting interviews and being accepted, I think this form would be much more useful if we all shared our stats... That's how law and medical school forms typically work. 

The results section may have some stats available. I know it gives applicants the opportunity to share :):
https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

It may, however, be a little chaotic here. Since every school has a different process, and for some, it's POI-dependent, the information may not be useful.

If you want to share your statistics, experience, and potential schools, we'd be more than happy to give you some insight. Feel free to PM me as well! Best of luck with your future application!

Edited by Neurophilic

10 minutes ago, calvindude1111 said:

Hi everyone! I plan on applying for Fall 2020. Although it is great to congratulate each other for getting interviews and being accepted, I think this form would be much more useful if we all shared our stats... That's how law and medical school forms typically work. 

Interesting idea, I know that in med/law schools they have hundreds of applicants for hundreds of spots and they generally accept straight out of undergrad + MCAT or LSAT. In this way, I think stats are much more straightforward and comparable for med/law...including the bigger sample size :) 

There are far fewer applicants for clinical psych (and only a handful who are active on this forum) and they have a huge range of experience (working in the prof's lab, another Master's, another PhD sometimes, clinical experience, volunteering etc.) There's also the huge factor of research interest and POI fit. It wouldn't be fair to compare your stats to that of another candidate because there are so many variables. 

49 minutes ago, calvindude1111 said:

Stats as in our GPAs/pubs/etc.? I mean, I hear what you're saying and that would be helpful for people who plan to apply in the future for getting their applications up to snuff, but I can also see that becoming a bit of a pissing contest. I think most people on here would agree that having a GPA > 3.6, relatively high GRE scores (over 70th percentile in verbal and over 50th in quant), publication/s (either fully published or in the works), conference presentations/posters, and work as an RA are all important pieces to an application. However, stats are not the only thing that will explain how someone got in/got an interview. There are other unquantifiable things that often play into getting in (e.g., connections to the PI, research fit, letters of rec, general personality fit, etc.) For example, I know people who got in without any publications, or no conference presentations, or with quantitative GRE scores below the 35th percentile.

I'm totally fine if others want to share their stats, and am willing to share mine as well, but it makes me uneasy about how everyone sharing this info could make others feel who are currently waiting to hear back.

Edited by chopper.wife

58 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Stats as in our GPAs/pubs/etc.? I mean, I hear what you're saying and that would be helpful for people who plan to apply in the future for getting their applications up to snuff, but I can also see that becoming a bit of a pissing contest. I think most people on here would agree that having a GPA > 3.6, relatively high GRE scores (over 70th percentile in verbal and over 50th in quant), publication/s (either fully published or in the works), conference presentations/posters, and work as an RA are all important pieces to an application. However, stats are not the only thing that will explain how someone got in/got an interview. There are other unquantifiable things that often play into getting in (e.g., connections to the PI, research fit, letters of rec, general personality fit, etc.) For example, I know people who got in without any publications, or no conference presentations, or with quantitative GRE scores below the 35th percentile.

I'm totally fine if others want to share their stats, and am willing to share mine as well, but it makes me uneasy about how everyone sharing this info could make others feel who are currently waiting to hear back.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their speedy responses! It seems like I am looking for an easy answer for how to get admitted and there certainly isn't one. I would feel comforted if someone told me that I am at least on the right track to a Fall 2020 admission. I am currently in my last semester of a psychology BA from Carleton. My GPA is very competitive 11.6/12 (All A and A+ with only one A-), however, my experience is non-existent. I am taking a "gap year" to volunteer as a clinical RA at a hospital affiliated with the University of Ottawa. I would have ~7 months RA experience at the time of my application and 16 months experience by September 2020.

I will hopefully have one first author conference presentation before I apply and there is no chance of me getting a publication anytime soon...

Do you think that my time at the hospital, networking with uOttawa facility would be sufficient for a solid POI? 

Thanks.  

Just now, calvindude1111 said:

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their speedy responses! It seems like I am looking for an easy answer for how to get admitted and there certainly isn't one. I would feel comforted if someone told me that I am at least on the right track to a Fall 2020 admission. I am currently in my last semester of a psychology BA from Carleton. My GPA is very competitive 11.6/12 (All A and A+ with only one A-), however, my experience is non-existent. I am taking a "gap year" to volunteer as a clinical RA at a hospital affiliated with the University of Ottawa. I would have ~7 months RA experience at the time of my application and 16 months experience by September 2020.

I will hopefully have one first author conference presentation before I apply and there is no chance of me getting a publication anytime soon...

Do you think that my time at the hospital, networking with uOttawa facility would be sufficient for a solid POI? 

Thanks.  

Ah a fellow Carleton grad :) Welcome! It seems like you're on the right track. I would definitely check out the OHRI website for job/volunteer opportunities. Another option is the Royal Mental Health Centre.  

Are you currently doing your thesis? You can definitely add PURE to your CV.

1 minute ago, Neurophilic said:

Ah a fellow Carleton grad :) Welcome! It seems like you're on the right track. I would definitely check out the OHRI website for job/volunteer opportunities. Another option is the Royal Mental Health Centre.  

Are you currently doing your thesis? You can definitely add PURE to your CV.

Hello there! I have a volunteer RA position secured in Brockville (my hometown) at the Brockville Mental Health Centre (part of the royal) with an adjunct prof from uOttawa. I am doing my thesis! I will definitely put PURE on my CV, but I'm not sure if I will be first author (I should ask) or if it will be counted on the uOttawa rankings grid. So, I am also submitting an abstract to a conference at uOttawa as the first author. I guess its best to have as many conferences as possible I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, calvindude1111 said:

Thanks.  

I can definitely sympathize with how confusing it can be to know what to do to best position yourself to get in, especially in your last year of undergrad. 

It will really vary by PI, and I personally did not apply to uOttawa, so what I have to say may not apply to the faculty there. Is the position you are volunteering for primarily research based or clinical work based? I ask because I would say that, for many schools, actual clinical work is not always necessary and many PI's prefer you have research experience. However, if it is research focused, I would speak with the PI you are planning to work with in your gap year and express your interest in getting some more conference presentations in, especially if you have no publications in the works. Again, not sure how important pubs and conference presentations are to uOttawa faculty, but that is where I would suggest focusing your time in your gap year!

Also want to mention that it is excellent that you are taking a gap year -- I am of the opinion that taking time off between your bachelors and graduate school is really important for strengthening your CV but also keeping you sane!

5 minutes ago, calvindude1111 said:

Hello there! I have a volunteer RA position secured in Brockville (my hometown) at the Brockville Mental Health Centre (part of the royal) with an adjunct prof from uOttawa. I am doing my thesis! I will definitely put PURE on my CV, but I'm not sure if I will be first author (I should ask) or if it will be counted on the uOttawa rankings grid. So, I am also submitting an abstract to a conference at uOttawa as the first author. I guess its best to have as many conferences as possible I suppose. 

You should be 1st author for PURE because it's your thesis... It counts as a poster presentation because PURE is an adjudicated conference.:) It really does seem like you're moving in the right direction. I have no publications so far and I've been invited for 2 interviews. I, unfortunately, did not get the opportunity to do PURE because of the administrative strike my year, but I have 2 conference presentations. Everyone has a different story and different credentials. Keep volunteering in research and maybe try to get a paid position. :) Be productive with the gap year!

22 hours ago, s_bellow said:

Do you think it's warranted to contact the grad or prog. coordinator to inquire about interview invitations? Given such the delayed update of our applications to "Under Review". Just notice the posted interview days are for next week

I heard from my lab supervisor, who is currently at UTSC in her last year of Ph.D., that invites and interviews have already been sent out for potential students :(. That being said, it ain't over until its over!!! 

Edited by Psych_101

8 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

I heard from my lab supervisor, who is currently at UTSC in her last year of Ph.D., that invites and interviews have already been sent out for potential students :(. That being said, it ain't over until its over!!! 

Ok thanks!

Has anyone had any interview conflicts yet? I've had 2 come up so far - Fri Feb 8th is a very popular interview day apparently! I had to ask for alternative dates for those 2 because I'd already booked non-refundable flights 2 weeks ago for the first invite that came in. In one case it seemed like the accommodation wasn't a big deal, but in the other, it means I won't be able to meet my POI in-person because he's travelling and is only available on the official interview day :( I'm disappointed about that, but can't be helped at this point. 

I wish all Canadian schools posted their interview days like the US, so I could be aware about potential conflicts and prioritize them ahead of time just in case. 

Edited by gillis_55

@calvindude1111 Aside from the great advice provided by others here, if you want a comprehensive overview of the requirements and process for applying to clinical psychology programs I'd highly recommend Mitch's Uncensored Advice Guide (free) and the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology (about $30). Hope that helps!

13 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Has anyone had any interview conflicts yet? I've had 2 come up so far - Fri Feb 8th is a very popular interview day apparently! I had to ask for alternative dates for those 2 because I'd already booked non-refundable flights 2 weeks ago for the first invite that came in. In one case it seemed like the accommodation wasn't a big deal, but in the other, it means I won't be able to meet my POI in-person because he's travelling and is only available on the official interview day :( I'm disappointed about that, but can't be helped at this point. 

I wish all Canadian schools posted their interview days like the US, so I could be aware about potential conflicts and prioritize them ahead of time just in case. 

Aghhh that blows! I haven't had this come up yet, but I can imagine how much of a bummer that would be, especially if you booked flights to another interview already and weren't given the opportunity to actually decide which to attend due to timing of invites. I feel like POIs should be understanding about this, especially if you emphasize your disappointment in not being able to meet them and that it was just a matter of bad timing. I agree about Canadian schools posting interview days! It would not only help people be aware of potential conflicts, but also help to ease some people's minds about when to expect to hear back...

1 minute ago, chopper.wife said:

Aghhh that blows! I haven't had this come up yet, but I can imagine how much of a bummer that would be, especially if you booked flights to another interview already and weren't given the opportunity to actually decide which to attend due to timing of invites. I feel like POIs should be understanding about this, especially if you emphasize your disappointment in not being able to meet them and that it was just a matter of bad timing. I agree about Canadian schools posting interview days! It would not only help people be aware of potential conflicts, but also help to ease some people's minds about when to expect to hear back...

Agreed about it easing minds, I've written off 2 schools so far (Dal and Concordia) because it sounds like the interview days have already happened, but it'd be nice to know officially if that's the case.

I did emphasize in my replies back that it wasn't a reflection of my interest in the program, just an unfortunate scheduling issue - hopefully it won't be a factor in deciding acceptances. The guides I posted above suggested that POIs do understand this happens, like you said :) 

5 hours ago, calvindude1111 said:

We will, as soon as we are accepted. Unfortunately the majority of us are waiting for interview days/final decisions - not to mention governmental funding. I am sure when you are in the midst of applying in Fall 2020 you will understand why we all need moral support!

1 hour ago, gillis_55 said:

I would share with one of your advisors you have already committedto an interview date and ask for another arrangement! It shows them you are a competitive applicant which is good because they're not only interviewing you, you are also interviewing them!

3 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

Agreed about it easing minds, I've written off 2 schools so far (Dal and Concordia) because it sounds like the interview days have already happened, but it'd be nice to know officially if that's the case.

I did emphasize in my replies back that it wasn't a reflection of my interest in the program, just an unfortunate scheduling issue - hopefully it won't be a factor in deciding acceptances. The guides I posted above suggested that POIs do understand this happens, like you said :) 

Ahh, so Concordia really is out... stings a bit. Ok, stings a lot but trying to be brave. 

1 hour ago, ZingyNeuron said:

Ahh, so Concordia really is out... stings a bit. Ok, stings a lot but trying to be brave. 

It’s been mentioned earlier, but the Concordia interview day is only for about 1/3 of the faculty. Many others will still be interviewing students throughout February. Don’t give up!