Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Just now, lobstergirl said:

I was freaking out just now because I thought I didn't get the email and then I started jumping to conclusions...then I looked in my inbox and it was in my junk mail. I have never felt so mentally fragile in my life ?

Hahaha so relatable re: jumping to conclusions. Somehow this process has made me into the most superstitious/speculative person of all time.

13 minutes ago, PsychologyClinical said:

Does this apply to UBC-V as well? 

I think so. I (and others here) got sent a general rejection letter ~a week ago from the graduate secretary. My guess is that if you haven't received that e-mail or if the status of your application hasn't changed, you're most likely still in the running and your POI is just taking his/her sweet time haha.

I accidentally opened a spam e-mail with the subject "CONGRATS.... you've won" and now they're coming in every 10 minutes. So every 10 minutes I think I'm being invited for an interview or something. ?

59 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

I was freaking out just now because I thought I didn't get the email and then I started jumping to conclusions...then I looked in my inbox and it was in my junk mail. I have never felt so mentally fragile in my life ?

ahh I didn't get the survey should I be concerned??

30 minutes ago, matche11 said:

If anyone applied to Windsor for neuropsych, you should be getting your interview invites soon. My current supervisor just informed me that I have an interview so I'm assuming the committee has made their decisions on who to shortlist.

Awesome! My supervisor there informally hinted at my interview a few weeks back but no updates since. I wonder if they will send a mass email from the secretary?

4 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Do you know if it happens often, even when you never have a contact with your POI? These canadian universities are getting on my nerves...

I don't think it happens often, and I would say never when the POI doesn't know the applicant. 

1 hour ago, ventiamericano said:

I think so. I (and others here) got sent a general rejection letter ~a week ago from the graduate secretary. My guess is that if you haven't received that e-mail or if the status of your application hasn't changed, you're most likely still in the running and your POI is just taking his/her sweet time haha.

Ok thank you for this update! :)

Question for everyone - is there a difference between the terms "short-list" and "waitlist" or are they used interchangeably? Just got contacted by one of my PIs and they said I was currently waitlisted but would be updated again after the committee meets. So I'm a bit confused to whether they mean I'm in the running to be invited to the open house or if I'm the third (or Xth) option if their other candidates don't work out...

Edited by ventiamericano

4 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Question for everyone - is there a difference between the terms "short-list" and "waitlist" or are they used interchangeably? Just got contacted by one of my PIs and they said I was currently waitlisted but would be updated again after the committee meets. So I'm a bit confused to whether they mean I'm in the running to be invited to the open house or if I'm the third (or Xth) option if their other candidates don't work out...

I think typically "short-list" means you are likely to be invited to the open house or a more formal interview, and "waitlist" means that you are a backup option in the event other students decline. I could be mistaken though

19 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I think typically "short-list" means you are likely to be invited to the open house or a more formal interview, and "waitlist" means that you are a backup option in the event other students decline. I could be mistaken though

^^ That's correct :) Shortlist means you essentially made it to the next stage, be it interviews/open house/shortlisted for admissions, etc

On 1/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, Psych_101 said:

Grad Assistant! 

Do you think it's warranted to contact the grad or prog. coordinator to inquire about interview invitations? Given such the delayed update of our applications to "Under Review". Just notice the posted interview days are for next week

Edited by s_bellow

22 hours ago, gradclinical said:

hahaaaa....Have you applied for Adult clinical or school and child clinical at OISE? Do you know when the results are released? I have heard from some students at OISE that they didn't have an interview last years! Have you heard what the process is at OISE?

What a dreadful time to send out a survey!! 

From my gatherings, everyone admitted to OISE programs will have done an interview (in person or skype) but perhaps there are exceptions!

The official e-mail comes from SGS and has the terrifying title of Decision Reached For Your University of Toronto Application and then you follow the link to the SGS site, where is changed from 'Under Review' to 'Decision Made' and then you open a document (heart pounding) and see if it's an offer or a decline. My e-mail came in the first week of March. 

1 hour ago, +ve regard said:

From my gatherings, everyone admitted to OISE programs will have done an interview (in person or skype) but perhaps there are exceptions!

The official e-mail comes from SGS and has the terrifying title of Decision Reached For Your University of Toronto Application and then you follow the link to the SGS site, where is changed from 'Under Review' to 'Decision Made' and then you open a document (heart pounding) and see if it's an offer or a decline. My e-mail came in the first week of March. 

Thanks for the info! Do you know the timeline for receiving interview invites? Would it be too late at this point?

I just received the itinerary for one of my interview days.. It seems as though I'm meeting graduate students from different labs for a lunch. Should I be familiar with their research as well? Or is this just an opportunity to ask them questions? 

1 hour ago, +ve regard said:

Thank you so much for your information. Do you know when do they have an interview ( School and Child Clinical Psychology at OISE)? Would it be too late at this point?!

37 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

Thanks for the info! Do you know the timeline for receiving interview invites? Would it be too late at this point?

Not too late! I was first contacted for an interview in the first week of Feb, so there's plenty of time for OISE :) 

Just now, gradclinical said:

Thank you so much for your information. Do you know when do they have an interview ( School and Child Clinical Psychology at OISE)? Would it be too late at this point?!

I think they go to committee for final selections in mid-Feb, so there's still time :)