Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

1 hour ago, siriuslypadfoot said:

Have interviewed at Queen's and UNB! Those are the only clinical programs I've applied to this year because of last year was too draining with a bunch of apps, so I'm pretty pleased with this!!

Has anyone heard anything from Queen's post-interview? I interviewed super early January and am getting anxious with the silence.

I haven't heard anything since the interview as well, but my PI indicated that they are required to submit a list to the department of invites to the open house by Jan 20th. He also said that this list can involve offers/waitlists. 

1 hour ago, siriuslypadfoot said:

Have interviewed at Queen's and UNB! Those are the only clinical programs I've applied to this year because of last year was too draining with a bunch of apps, so I'm pretty pleased with this!!

Has anyone heard anything from Queen's post-interview? I interviewed super early January and am getting anxious with the silence.

From what I know, most PI's have interviewed their prelim shortlist and have started to narrow it down. The PI I applied to told me that she was going to e-mail her short-short list sometime this week and from what I've heard, has already made rejections. My guess is that you'll hear back in the next week or so! The open house isn't until March 1st, but I think most PIs in the department know who they want already (is what has been implied).

Edited by ventiamericano
Realized I kinda doxxed myself in the first post - oops!

Ok so I think I need to find a way to block gradcafe from my browser for like a day... I swear when this whole process is over I will STILL be checking every 30 minutes out of habit. Because, you know, knowing about one of the schools I applied to contacting applicants RIGHT NOW is so much more important than getting shit done in my day ?

On 1/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Neurophilic said:

Ahhhhh. This wasn’t someone I applied to work under but excited nonetheless!!!

School: Ryerson University

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 9th, 2018

Type of invite: Email for Skype interview

Interview date(s): Day between tomorrow to Sunday morning  

POI: PM me :) 

Received e-mail from POI today that she forwarded my name for the Visiting Day on Feb 11! :) For those waiting to hear from Ryerson, we should receive the official invitation over the next week from the Graduate Program Administrator.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, chopper.wife said:

Yayyy!!!!

School: University of Calgary

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan. 9/2019

Type of invite: Email from graduate program administrator to attend open house

Interview date(s): Feb. 8-9th

POI: pm me

See you there!!

10 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

I agree! I had a hunch about UVic given the Results page, but it would be so much better if we knew. I understand that some of the applicants are still under review/ on waitlist, but I doubt that most are still under consideration. Put me out of my misery sooner rather than later lol  

I have gotten an interview at Uvic!

Interview offers!

School: UVIC & UofC

Type: MSc/PhD Clinical Psychology

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype/phone interview & invitation to open house

Interview date(s):  this week & Feb 8-9

POI: message me!

4 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

I have gotten an interview at Uvic!

Is this for the formal interviews, or a Skype interview? I had a Skype interview that I thought went quite well about 10 days ago, but haven't heard anything since. 

Hi everyone!! 

Is anyone here familiar with the Western shortlist/interview process? My POI emailed me today saying they have forwarded my application to the clinical psych committee who will be reviewing files for the 'very short list". I was under the assumption that the decision-making process usually involved POIs deciding who to invite to interview day and afterwards giving their recommendations to the committee. I'm curious as to why the committee would be reviewing files prior to the interview invites even being sent out? Do they get the final say on who comes to interview day? Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Psychology_101_

1 minute ago, gillis_55 said:

Is this for the formal interviews, or a Skype interview? I had a Skype interview that I thought went quite well about 10 days ago, but haven't heard anything since. 

I had three set up: 

-one with POI

-one with POI's grad students

-one with 2 other clinical faculty

Was this the same as you? I got a formal invite from grad secretary.

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

I had three set up: 

-one with POI

-one with POI's grad students

-one with 2 other clinical faculty

Was this the same as you? I got a formal invite from grad secretary.

No, it was just one informal Skype interview with the POI. She said next stage would be Skype interviews with other faculty, etc. like you just described. Sounds like I didn't make the cut unfortunately. Disappointing, but this is all part of the process :) Good luck with your application, I hope you get an offer!

Just now, gillis_55 said:

No, it was just one informal Skype interview with the POI. She said next stage would be Skype interviews with other faculty, etc. like you just described. Sounds like I didn't make the cut unfortunately. Disappointing, but this is all part of the process :) Good luck with your application, I hope you get an offer!

Thank you so much! Good luck to you as well :)

15 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Hi everyone!! 

Is anyone here familiar with the Western shortlist/interview process? My POI emailed me today saying they have forwarded my application to the clinical psych committee who will be reviewing files for the 'very short list". I was under the assumption that the decision-making process usually involved POIs deciding who to invite to interview day and afterwards giving their recommendations to the committee. I'm curious as to why the committee would be reviewing files prior to the interview invites even being sent out? Do they get the final say on who comes to interview day? Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

I believe the clinical committee at Western is pretty involved in admissions and make most decisions as a group, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the committee reviews the selected candidates prior to sending the invites. They don’t tend to interview many people, so maybe they want to be sure that everyone is a good candidate, meets admissions criteria, etc, 

53 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

Has anyone applied to UofA school and clinical child psych and heard anything?

I applied. and my status is under-review. I don't think they do any interviews.

1 hour ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Hi everyone!! 

Echoing everyone else's sentiments, Western are very much committee-driven, they decide slots and who is assigned to who as a group. 

10 minutes ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

Did anyone here apply to uOttawa? I applied to the French Stream but haven't heard anything and haven't seen anything in the forums about it. 

I applied to uOttawa as well, and haven’t heard anything yet. When I emailed my POI before applying she mentioned that initial invites aren’t sent out until late January/early February or even later sometimes because of how the “uOttawa timeline” is. I assume uOttawa is just a bit later in general so I wouldnt be too worried!