Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

2 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

I PM-ed Magnolias to check if we have the same POI at York, but I guess he or she is busy preparing for interview, which I don't blame them at all :) 

But yeah, I also assumed rejection since the Open House will be mid February (according to several sources). We'll just wait a bit more and see. 

I believe Magnolias was applying to Adult Clinical. They PM'd me their POI's initials; feel free to PM me for them!

31 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I believe Magnolias was applying to Adult Clinical. They PM'd me their POI's initials; feel free to PM me for them!

Oh thank you that's so nice of you. I applied to Clinical Developmental, so probably not the same POI. 

Good thing I will have a busy week ahead at work to keep me busy. I might have jumped the gun there a little. 

And rewatching Frasier keeps me sane. I recommend it for other forum friends who need a new addiction to keep their mind off this process for a while ?

1 minute ago, Neurophilic said:

Whoever posted in the results for York CD can you pleaaaase PM your POI :) And congrats!!

Same here please! Though part of me doubts that a lot of people who post on the results page check here (or even know it exists??)

Just now, chopper.wife said:

Same here please! Though part of me doubts that a lot of people who post on the results page check here (or even know it exists??)

what is this results page you speak of!? 

1 minute ago, SoundofSilence said:

Oh thank you that's so nice of you. I applied to Clinical Developmental, so probably not the same POI. 

Good thing I will have a busy week ahead at work to keep me busy. I might have jumped the gun there a little. 

And rewatching Frasier keeps me sane. I recommend it for other forum friends who need a new addiction to keep their mind off this process for a while ?

Haha I am planning a road trip to Haida Gwaii to keep me sane ?

3 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

what is this results page you speak of!? 

It is diabolical.

But yeah, follow the link @Neurophilic posted and you can filter your search results by searching keywords. For example, I usually input "clinical" as a key word. Then, it sorts the results from new posts to old, so you can check each day and see the most recent results. 

Just now, chopper.wife said:

It is diabolical.

But yeah, follow the link @Neurophilic posted and you can filter your search results by searching keywords. For example, I usually input "clinical" as a key word. Then, it sorts the results from new posts to old, so you can check each day and see the most recent results. 

This is next level brutal. ? 

8 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Anyone interviewing at UTSC this week? Just curious if they are sticking to the posted timeline

Wondering the same thing. Also, anyone knows if these are the full panel interviews or just with your POIs? 

12 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

This is next level brutal. ? 

I find it so fascinating and I didn't even realize that some people might not be aware of the forum / results page. I've been faithful looking at it weekly (or more) since last summer. 

Don't get too caught up in it though. The community here is much more friendly :)

46 minutes ago, nerdy_metalhead said:
56 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Anyone interviewing at UTSC this week? Just curious if they are sticking to the posted timeline

Wondering the same thing. Also, anyone knows if these are the full panel interviews or just with your POIs? 

The interview days were today/yesterday. Yesterday was a series of 25 minute interviews with each member of the core clinical faculty individually, plus your POI/ their grad students if they are a core faculty member. Today was off campus interviews for people whose POIs are not core clinical faculty members.

Ahhhhh, was starting to lose hope!

School: York University

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Developmental Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 29th, 2019

Type of invite: Email from POI for open house

Interview date(s): Feb 15!

PM for POI :)

Edited by Neurophilic

22 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Ahhhhh, was starting to lose hope!

School: York University

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Developmental Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 29th, 2019

Type of invite: Email from POI for open house

Interview date(s): Feb 15!

PM for POI :)

Ur killing it this cycle mate, congrats!

11 minutes ago, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Does anyone know about McGills interview day? I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming I didn't make the cut..

I think it depends on the POI. I was emailed mid-Jan and my interview is Feb 1. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:20 PM, Fabretti said:

I know how that feels... I just started developing depression symptoms LoL... for real :(

Same here! Trying to stay positive though and hoping to learn from this experience sigh

On 1/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, neocortical.coffee said:

How to improve your application 

1. a high GPA

2. Publications and poster presentations- with how competitive it is now you basically need some form of published work that indicates you can be a productive researcher over and above an honours thesis project. Try to find a productive research mentor that is willing to let you work for them in order to do this for applications next year.

3. Clinical experience- depending on your field either volunteering at a distress hotline, working with individuals with developmental disabilities, an Alzheimer's association etc. A lot of the times, if you only currently have a Bachelor's degree you might have to take this position unpaid or move to an area that has some paid research positions with clinical experience.

4. Potentially think about getting a Master's in another related field (eg; MSc. in neuroscience, M.Ed or something). The credits will not transfer but this is another method to boost GPA and have a more competitive resume while proving you are capable of research in some form.

5. In my opinion, GREs do not matter much as long as you are at the typical average of the school but potentially retaking them if you did poorly.

6. You have to make sure your research interests/ past experience match with the POI you are applying to

Thank you for your input!! Sorry for the delayed thanks -- I've actually been trying to stay off this site for a bit because I feel like I was going crazy constantly checking to see if other people have received news from the schools I applied to hahaha but its honestly pretty great seeing other people get their interview offers! Those are hard to get so it was well deserved :) 

As for me and others who have not heard back from any schools, hopefully we get some news soon... but nice to see everyone being so supportive and helpful on this page!

4 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hi! Really sorry! I answered the first few and hadn't checked the forum since then. I will respond to the rest asap. To the person who asked, I applied to Adult Clinical at both York and Windsor.

I have also gotten a second email from a York professor and will mention her too if anyone's interested. The first professor called me and the second emailed me, and I didn't apply to the second, so I think she was just looking through the applicant pool. This should tell you guys that the professors are on their own timelines! I wouldn't panic too just yet.

Best of luck everyone. Take care of yourselves. Don't let it get to you.

Edited by magnolias

9 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Haven't heard anything at all. Presumed rejection at this point haha

Technically not POIs have sent prelims, we should hear by the end of this week as they have open house shortlist finalized by now (I think). 

41 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Anyone else waiting on POIs at Queens? 

I think someone posted that they had their prelim meeting last week and would probably be sending open house invitations this week. I may have worn out my refresh key waiting on this one...