Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

8 minutes ago, Leafway said:

When do you guys usually hear back from the school after the on-site interview?

I think they generally get back to you within a week or two with their decision after that; I heard within a few days, though I'm sure some schools take longer.

For those wondering about Queen's: I emailed my POI to see if I should wait for an official invitation to the open house to book my flight (I would be coming from the US), as she had invited me verbally in the interview at the beginning of January, but I haven't heard anything since (like others here). She mentioned that the committee met on Thursday of last week to discuss Canadian applicants, and international applicants haven't been discussed yet. She said official invitations should be coming soon, but didn't give an exact timeline. I hope that helps ease some worried minds, I know it helped me relax just a bit!

Edited by hdclark

1 hour ago, hdclark said:

For those wondering about Queens: I emailed my POI to see if I should wait for an official invitation to the open house to book my flight (I would be coming from the US), as she had invited me verbally in the interview at the beginning of January, but I haven't heard anything since (like others here). She mentioned that the committee met on Thursday of last week to discuss Canadian applicants, and international applicants haven't been discussed yet. She said official invitations should be coming soon, but didn't give an exact timeline. I hope that helps ease some worried minds, I know it helped me relax just a bit!

Thank you for the information. 

I didn't apply to Queens, however, it is interesting to note that some programs discuss international applicants in a separate meeting. I guess it has to do with funding and similar matters? (I am international as well)

3 hours ago, Mickey_ said:

Has anyone here applied to the Clinical and Counselling Psychology program at OISE? Any news yet?

Faculty are individually reviewing the applications forwarded by the admissions staff (i.e., those that made cutoffs based on GPA, GRE, etc) and are interviewing applicants over the next 2-3 weeks; they meet in early March as a committee to decide who is accepted.  There is no single interview day. 

Edited by gillis_55

Acceptance!! Woooot!

School: University of Regina

Concentration: Clinical

Type: MA/PhD

Date of acceptance: Feb 4th

Notified by: email from POI

FYI from POI: The committee met this morning with ranked applicants. Unofficial offers go out today. Official offers will out in a few weeks!

4 hours ago, chopper.wife said:

Starting to feel like Toronto is not in the cards for me -- haven't heard from York and am presuming rejection with OISE. Feeling pretty disappointed 

I know it's so frustrating, this process is ROUGH. Try to keep your chin up, you just never know with this process - there are stories and posts about getting invited for interviews in March or even April as accepted applicants start to decline offers.

I really hope you end up hearing back, or that you're so jazzed about your other schools that it doesn't feel like you missed out on TO. As another possible balm - how the hell do grad students live on $10-$20K in Toronto?! Even at the high end of $20K, that's $1600 a month - rent would eat up 80% of that or more, easy. 

7 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Acceptance!! Woooot!

FYI from POI: The committee met this morning with ranked applicants. Unofficial offers go out today. Official offers will out in a few weeks!

You're absolutely KILLING it, congrats!!

8 minutes ago, E19 said:

Spoke to a PI at York and was told that they're in the process of reviewing applications! It's not over yet !! 

That is good news! But also if that is the case they really don't give you a lot of time to plan for travel to the interview day, yikes

1 hour ago, pearl_lyng said:

Just spoke to the Queens Graduate Program Administrator - she said formal invitations for the open house will be going out within the next two weeks. Hold tight!

Thank you for the heads-up!! :) 

53 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

You're absolutely KILLING it, congrats!!

Hehe thanks for your support ❤️ ! :)

1 hour ago, gillis_55 said:

I know it's so frustrating, this process is ROUGH. Try to keep your chin up, you just never know with this process - there are stories and posts about getting invited for interviews in March or even April as accepted applicants start to decline offers.

I really hope you end up hearing back, or that you're so jazzed about your other schools that it doesn't feel like you missed out on TO. As another possible balm - how the hell do grad students live on $10-$20K in Toronto?! Even at the high end of $20K, that's $1600 a month - rent would eat up 80% of that or more, easy. 

Thank you so much for your kind words! I know I shouldn't give up on York yet, but it's just getting so close to the open-house that it's hard to not feel discouraged. I knew my research match at OISE was a bit of a reach, but was definitely hopeful for York!

Oh MAN I am wondering the same... I interviewed at SFU on Friday and I just can't figure out how people are living in cities like Vancouver or Toronto on such a tiny stipend!? Like am I missing something???

2 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Acceptance!! Woooot!

Congrats!!!

Looking for advice! I interviewed with Saskatchewan several weeks ago (both with my POI and another faculty member) and was told I would “find out” by the end of the month... as in January. Right now I’m assuming the lack of contact just means a rejection, but I’m almost positive she said I would find out either way, so I’m a little stuck. The online portal hasn’t changed at all, but I’m not really sure if emailing my POI is appropriate or reflects poorly on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

2 minutes ago, kcm97 said:

Looking for advice! I interviewed with Saskatchewan several weeks ago (both with my POI and another faculty member) and was told I would “find out” by the end of the month... as in January. Right now I’m assuming the lack of contact just means a rejection, but I’m almost positive she said I would find out either way, so I’m a little stuck. The online portal hasn’t changed at all, but I’m not really sure if emailing my POI is appropriate or reflects poorly on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Heyy,  first off, I've heard USask is a fantastic school! Congrats on the interview! :)

Given that Feb 1st was Friday...they might just be bogged down right now. I would give the program coordinator a call tomorrow and inquire about your status/ask whether offers have been extended. Best of luck :)

3 minutes ago, kcm97 said:

I would wait another few weeks. It's possible they made an offer to another person and are waiting to hear from them. If they reject, then you will take the spot. Just a possibility though... Regardless, I think waiting until mid-February would be best unless you are sitting on other offers!

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

Heyy,  first off, I've heard USask is a fantastic school! Congrats on the interview! :)

Given that Feb 1st was Friday...they might just be bogged down right now. I would give the program coordinator a call tomorrow and inquire about your status/ask whether offers have been extended. Best of luck :)

Ahh thank you so much! That's very true, I think a quick call wouldn't hurt to just inquire at least. Thank you for your input!!

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

I would wait another few weeks. It's possible they made an offer to another person and are waiting to hear from them. If they reject, then you will take the spot. Just a possibility though... Regardless, I think waiting until mid-February would be best unless you are sitting on other offers!

So true - I didn't feel super confident with the 2nd interview (not w/ my POI) so right now I'm just sitting here overthinking and the temptation to just ask is killing me. I think I'm going to call the program coordinator per @Mickey26 suggestion to inquire about my status, as I feel like doing that is much better than reaching out to the POI directly. There's a huge part of me just desperately envisioning the email acceptance coming into my inbox sometime this week but I'm not too sure about that ?

Hi everyone!

I hope you all get into your first choice programs :) I’ve been following this thread for a while just to get an understanding of the application process for clinical psych programs. I’m currently in my 4th year and plan to do a 5th year before I apply myself. I’m particularly interested in the OISE SCCP program, does anyone know if they actually only look at your last year of studies or your whole GPA? Sorry if i’m posting in the wrong thread, if someone could direct me to the correct one that’d be great. good luck and thanks

5 minutes ago, psychstudent97 said:

Hi everyone!

I hope you all get into your first choice programs :) I’ve been following this thread for a while just to get an understanding of the application process for clinical psych programs. I’m currently in my 4th year and plan to do a 5th year before I apply myself. I’m particularly interested in the OISE SCCP program, does anyone know if they actually only look at your last year of studies or your whole GPA? Sorry if i’m posting in the wrong thread, if someone could direct me to the correct one that’d be great. good luck and thanks

Hey and welcome! This is the correct thread as that program has been mentioned before. I personally cannot answer your question as I did not apply to that program--hopefully someone can answer that shortly :) 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:02 PM, Mickey26 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UManitoba? :) It's been radio silence so far haha

I graduated from UManitoba and interviewed with them last year. PM me if you have any questions about interviews!

11 hours ago, psychstudent97 said:

Hi everyone!

Hi! I applied to OISE and can't say for sure that they only look at your last year. You have to meet this requirement to have your application looked at: "A- or better in the final year or over senior courses." However, that doesn't mean they don't look at your other grades/cumulative GPA/psych-specific GPA. I think that your overall GPA gets considered to some extent when they are ranking applicants.

10 hours ago, TrindStarr said:

I graduated from UManitoba and interviewed with them last year. PM me if you have any questions about interviews!

Thank you for this generous offer! Pm on the way :)