Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Just now, chopper.wife said:

I have heard about one specific PI having completed interviews, but not sure about others. I can't remember if you messaged me or not about it, but if not, feel free to DM me for the PI's name!

Hi, yes I messaged you before about it. Thank you so much! 

15 hours ago, Leafway said:

It seems like the interview process is not as intimidating as people would think. I wonder under what kind of circumstances professors would reject a student who was invited to the interview? I believe everyone would be well-prepared (in terms of answering questions and having an idea of their research plan), behave politely, and show eagerness to know about the program. 

Faculty usually interview 3-6 applicants for one spot, so most will rejected even if they’re strong applicants and the interview goes well. A lot of the time it comes down to fit. They’re looking for students that mesh well with the lab, who have similar research interests, or skills that can advance the lab’s research. There also could be practical reasons, like the PI doesn’t get a grant so they choose the 4.0 GPA, multi-publication applicant who is most likely to get external funding.

You would also be surprised by how some people act at interviews. Some applicants are so nervous that they perform poorly, some people are over-confident and competitive, some are unprofessional or do stupid things (e.g. getting drunk at social event). 

21 hours ago, s_bellow said:

Anyone here do an MSc in Psychiatry at McGill? Just debating on applying

I know of a few people who have done the program. It can be a good way of getting research experience before applying to PhD programs. A lot of people end up doing masters programs in psychiatry/experimental psych in general before getting into clinical programs. 

Hey everyone! I just got my itinerary for an open house (Ryerson to be specific) and it seems that they scheduled a time for me to meet privately with a PI who's not the one I applied to. Any advice or insight to how to prepare? I know there's a separate thread for this but I was hoping other Canadian prospective grads (or grads) could share their experiences - thank you!!!

17 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I know of a few people who have done the program. It can be a good way of getting research experience before applying to PhD programs. A lot of people end up doing masters programs in psychiatry/experimental psych in general before getting into clinical programs. 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing. Also seems like a good way to stand out

7 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Hey everyone! I just got my itinerary for an open house (Ryerson to be specific) and it seems that they scheduled a time for me to meet privately with a PI who's not the one I applied to. Any advice or insight to how to prepare? I know there's a separate thread for this but I was hoping other Canadian prospective grads (or grads) could share their experiences - thank you!!!

Just experienced this at an interview last week- for us, the questions they asked were your typical structured interview questions (e.g., why x school?, strengths/weaknesses, tell us about a time when...) and the questions I asked during my time with the non-POI were program or school specific. She was also very aware that she wasn't my POI so in the answers she gave me, she referenced my POI and talked about how the answers related to the school generally and to him. Msg me if you want to talk in more detail!

For those who had interviews at SFU both Skype and in-person, my sources tell me that they are having their clinical meeting on Thursday this week to deliberate who they want to give offers to and who will be wait-listed. I am presuming they will do a top 3/4 but you will NOT be told where you are on the wait-list (and will have to wait until Apr 15th at the latest to know your fate, if that is the case). 

After this week, they will compile the list and hopefully, *fingers crossed, by next Friday, the 15th, you will know your immediate fate for SFU.

Most schools follow a similar format after interviews - Ontario schools like Windsor will invite you to an open house (which is their way of saying you got in). York has been perpetually bad at getting stuff out - I would recommend contacting them directly. Ryerson is still active...their open is coming up as stated by several people above AND, they will also have about a 2 week turn around. Concordia will go in to March. Queens, I have to ask a few people. Western is still interviewing...they have an in-house interview thing this Friday. 

18 minutes ago, pearl_lyng said:

Jfc OISE don't send me any emails that have nothing to do with my application. I don't care about your surveys right nowwww. :(

My heart can't take this stress lol

51663327_398070040760864_5431238814423056384_n.png

15 minutes ago, gradclinical said:

Same!!!!OISE would like your help!!!!!

RIGHT?! Like first of all, I already DID YOUR SURVEY! Second of all, I am expecting a rejection from you so........... 

57 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

RIGHT?! Like first of all, I already DID YOUR SURVEY! Second of all, I am expecting a rejection from you so........... 

1 hour ago, pearl_lyng said:

Jfc OISE don't send me any emails that have nothing to do with my application. I don't care about your surveys right nowwww. :(

My heart can't take this stress lol

51663327_398070040760864_5431238814423056384_n.png

I can't even with this shit ?? LOL 

2 hours ago, neocortical.coffee said:

Just a heads up, Windsor is contacting people with ~unofficial acceptances~ (i.e. approved by the clinical committee but not yet the Dean, which is essentially an acceptance). If you have been accepted PM me :) 

Does this include child clinical? I haven’t heard about anybody getting an interview from them yet, it appears that they do them separately. Unless I am wrong?

20 minutes ago, Clinicalh0peful said:

Does this include child clinical? I haven’t heard about anybody getting an interview from them yet, it appears that they do them separately. Unless I am wrong?

I think they do them separately, this is for neuro I should have specified 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, foood said:

Has anyone here had an interview at Western in a previous cycle or knows what is involved in their interview day? I was invited to the in-person interview but asked for a Skype interview instead. I have already spoken with my POI on the phone, so I'm not sure what to expect with the second Skype interview. Any info would be much appreciated!

Current PhD candidate at Western. I can answer any questions you may have (or anyone else with Western-specific questions, since our interview day is Friday). A Skype interview will just be a proxy for what you would have discussed on interview day. You get to skip all the other various interviews with us *wonderful* people, so that can be a benefit. But Skype interviews are more impersonal, so I'd be sure to make extra effort to appear engaged. Honestly, missing the social is nbd. People are usually exhausted from the day and those of us who've participated in interviewing are kind of wanting to get on with our days tbh so it's not like it's a critical evaluation. You do get a nice rundown of the program at the day, as well as a chance to speak candidly with current students, so if it comes down to making a decision between Western and another school that can also be a weakness of not attending.

19 minutes ago, gb697604 said:

Has anyone heard back from DAL or Mcgill Clinical ?

I believe all Dal offers have gone out at this point (I got my offer >2 weeks ago) but could be worth calling to check if they are doing it on a rolling basis.

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum after hearing about it at the Guelph Interview day last week! I was wondering if anyone has heard back from the CCAP program at Guelph yet since they said we'd hear back this week. I've been refreshing my inbox hourly to see if anything comes up.

Thank you ❤️ 

Edited by TEAfficionado

56 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

Me tooo, although I am horrible at bowling lol :)

Haha it's ok! You'll be a champ compared to me haha I've been doing physio for my wrist, so coupled with my horrid bowling skills, we'll see if I can manage to even hit a pin (let alone hold a bowling ball) ???