Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Hi guys, 

I applied to a couple of Canadian schools this year, but I don't think I will get in any. UBC is my dream school and I want to give it a try in the next application season. Based on UBC website's admission data, it seems like they only short-list very few students. Does it mean if students get the on campus interview opportunity, they will be more likely to get an offer? Any one has experience with UBC interview?

Positions/Training Capacity 7 4 6 6 5
Applications - at BA level 130 114 111 126 105
Applications - at MA level     8 13 31
Interviewed/Short-Listed   7 10 7 8
Offered Admission 7 4 6 6 6

1 hour ago, Leafway said:

Hi guys, 

I applied to a couple of Canadian schools this year, but I don't think I will get in any. UBC is my dream school and I want to give it a try in the next application season. Based on UBC website's admission data, it seems like they only short-list very few students. Does it mean if students get the on campus interview opportunity, they will be more likely to get an offer? Any one has experience with UBC interview?

I'm not sure if I understand your question -- are you asking whether students get interviewed on-campus vs over skype are more likely to get an offer? Or just that if you get an interview in general, you're more likely to get an offer? If the latter then, yes, you will be exponentially more likely to get an offer. I think it is extremely uncommon to get an offer without interviewing at all. It does happen in some programs (e.g., school psych programs), but is pretty rare. 

Edit: Just realized you might be asking whether, at UBC in particular, getting an interview means you're more likely to get an offer. I think this depends on the year -- for example, look at the year where they interviewed 10 but only offered admission to 6. In this year they maybe were expecting an incoming class of 5 max and offered to 6 with the expectation that at least 1 would turn down the offer.

Edited by chopper.wife

2 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone here has interviewed with Waterloo yet and if so, if they've been in contact at all with the program

I had a preliminary skype interview with my POI about a month ago, and got an invite from the POI to come for an on campus interview on Feb 8th. My understanding is that they are sending invites for on campus interviews on a student by student basis; there is no "interview day" where all shortlisted applicants attend together. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

10 minutes ago, Yeye said:

Has anybody else not heard anything from York yet? Haven't been contacted by any POI, but my application status still says it's under consideration.

From experience, most of the candidates that are invited to the Open House will be the ones that the POIs and adcomm will choose from when giving out offers. There have been cases where applicants who are not invited to the Open House end up interviewing afterwards. I would say be on the lookout unless your application is updated to unsuccessful

5 hours ago, Leafway said:

Hi guys, 

Generally if you are short-listed in a school, there is a faculty member who is interested in working with you. At that point your chances are much higher to receive an admission, and as other posters have said, I don't think there are many cases in clinical where people receive an offer without first having an interview (online/phone/in-person). Also you say UBC is your dream school which is awesome, but also try to consider the faculty members & research area you want to work in. 

Grad students & profs alike will tell you like you need to focus on the professor almost more so than the school (obviously do your homework - research if it is accredited, good licensing rates, funding opportunities, livable city, etc.) and I would urge you to do the same! This would also take a lot of pressure of yourself for trying to get into a specific school when a POI might not even be accepting students that year. 

5 hours ago, Yeye said:

Has anybody else not heard anything from York yet? Haven't been contacted by any POI, but my application status still says it's under consideration.

I also haven’t heard anything yet! But a few people have been contacted to be invited to the open-house. I believe all of these people were more neuro-focused, so I’m hoping the non-neuro PIs are just slow. Today I am optimistic I guess!

5 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I also haven’t heard anything yet! But a few people have been contacted to be invited to the open-house. I believe all of these people were more neuro-focused, so I’m hoping the non-neuro PIs are just slow. Today I am optimistic I guess!

Adult clinical people have started looking at things and doing prelims, I think CD are generally slower so theres that. 

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

Well... i didnt sleep much last night and am all shaky from lack of sleep. Hoping that doesn’t show once my interview starts today ?

Take care of yourself. It's awesome you have an interview. Remember, you are also there to "interview" them as well. You might be working closely with some of them for quite some time. Drink enough water (helps with tiredness) and take breaks outside if you can to clear your head. If you can, try to enjoy the interview as well.  You can do this! ?

2 hours ago, E19 said:

Anybody hear from Concordia at all? The generic open house emails keep hyping me up.. 

Some faculty had an interview day in January, the rest are probably in the process of contacting candidates/interviewing. I believe that the committee is meeting at the end of the month to make final decisions.

Just FYI, it seems OISE interviews are going out for SCCP & CCP programs around now. It depends on the faculty members and many other factors, but you can likely expect to hear back within the following weeks. Good luck everyone!

Edited by qualtrick

Got my first acceptance letter today!!! Can’t believe I’m definitely headed to grad school next year, it’s such an enormous relief and I can’t stop smiling! Thanks so much for all the guidance and support here, it played a big role in my apps and interviews this year for sure. 

Just now, gillis_55 said:

Got my first acceptance letter today!!! Can’t believe I’m definitely headed to grad school next year, it’s such an enormous relief and I can’t stop smiling! Thanks so much for all the guidance and support here, it played a big role in my apps and interviews this year for sure. 

YAYYYYY Congrats!! :) Break out the champagne hehe

On 1/31/2019 at 8:26 PM, Yeye said:

On 1/31/2019 at 8:31 PM, C_Lamoureux said:

I am in the same boat!

22 hours ago, chopper.wife said:

Hey guys! I was contacted by a POI on Tuesday and I applied to the general clinical psych field but correspondence has been suuuuper slow.

1 hour ago, gillis_55 said:

Congrats!

Also I'm looking to reconnect with someone I met at the Guelph Interview day today, she was interviewing with SL and KT as well - we said we would chat after the grad lunch but didn't have a chance. PM me if you see this :) 

4 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

Yay!! So happy for you :) congrats!