Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

5 minutes ago, nerdy_metalhead said:

Not for most schools. I believe most are looking for a high verbal. But UTSC is looking for a high quant. 

Keep in mind I don't think Quant scores have to be exceptionally high for UTSC - I was 65th percentile on Quant and have an acceptance. Balanced out with high scores on other sections + Psych GRE though. 

5 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Keep in mind I don't think Quant scores have to be exceptionally high for UTSC - I was 65th percentile on Quant and have an acceptance. Balanced out with high scores on other sections + Psych GRE though. 

Oh congrats! Do you mind telling me who is your POI, and your scores for other sections? Would like to know what to strive for for next year :)

16 minutes ago, nerdy_metalhead said:

Oh congrats! Do you mind telling me who is your POI, and your scores for other sections? Would like to know what to strive for for next year :)

Would also appreciate knowing this :) UTSC was my top choice this year

Can anyone give me any insight on what happens if I get rejected from the program I applied to but then in April receive a SSHRC? Could this potentially get me admission to the program? In my undergrad I heard of this happening once in a while, but I'm not sure how likely it actually is. 

I haven't received a rejection letter, but the radio silence is telling me I didn't even make the shortlist. My application is pretty spectacular with the exception of a very crummy GRE quant score, so I'm thinking that immediately disqualified me. Do I still have a shot at acceptance?

1 minute ago, mdmhfx said:

Can anyone give me any insight on what happens if I get rejected from the program I applied to but then in April receive a SSHRC? Could this potentially get me admission to the program? In my undergrad I heard of this happening once in a while, but I'm not sure how likely it actually is. 

I haven't received a rejection letter, but the radio silence is telling me I didn't even make the shortlist. My application is pretty spectacular with the exception of a very crummy GRE quant score, so I'm thinking that immediately disqualified me. Do I still have a shot at acceptance?

From what I read from last year's thread, it is possible where you receive tri-agency funding, but not a school acceptance. In this case, some people have mentioned that it might be worth emailing your POI and letting them know that you received the award... have heard of rare cases where people have been given acceptance after the fact. However, if you do receive the award, your application next year will be extremely convincing for acceptance. 

Just now, Willy36 said:

From what I read from last year's thread, it is possible where you receive tri-agency funding, but not a school acceptance. In this case, some people have mentioned that it might be worth emailing your POI and letting them know that you received the award... have heard of rare cases where people have been given acceptance after the fact. However, if you do receive the award, your application next year will be extremely convincing for acceptance. 

So good to know! Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

I was waitlisted last year for 2 schools and was not notified. I found out by contacting the program coordinator. 

On a related note to this -- anyone have any suggestions for when it is appropriate to contact the program coordinator about your status? I'm trying to make some decisions and feel like it would be good to know where I stand with other institutions

Just checking in again to see if anyone’s heard from Queen’s. I thought I would have heard by last Friday, but I haven’t heard anything official since my interview on 1/7. I’m worried that I’ve been put on a waitlist perhaps for funding reasons (I’m an international applicant). My professor indicated they would be promoting my application to acceptance, but I think the meeting to discuss applicants was over two weeks ago. Getting concerned since the open house is next weekend...

Hey everyone!

I thought I would finally join the conversation here, as I've been lurking these threads for months :) I'm currently in my last year of undergrad at UofT doing my honours thesis and I have applied to SCCP at OISE, York (I've been rejected), and Ryerson. I've also applied to the MA of child study and education at OISE (teaching program) and MSW at UofT. 

I honestly won't be surprised if I don't get in anywhere my first year applying. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Adler University in Toronto? Apparently you can get your masters in psych and it prepares you to be registered with the college of psychologists of Ontario. The only downfall is, though, the tuition is almost $50k for the two years and the classes are only on the weekends...  

9 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

I relate lmao, also got the same rejection letter early January (twice!!! because I clearly didn't get it the first time). Apparently, the grad committee screens out a bunch of applicants and then only directs successful candidates to the PIs. Hearsay, but makes sense. For instance, I heard they're super strict about the GRE and will scan applicants out off the bat - even their website says 80th percentile or above so rip to me

>takes our talents and shitty math skills to Ryerson

TAKE THAT UBC!! 

7 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

I honestly won't be surprised if I don't get in anywhere my first year applying. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Adler University in Toronto? Apparently you can get your masters in psych and it prepares you to be registered with the college of psychologists of Ontario. The only downfall is, though, the tuition is almost $50k for the two years and the classes are only on the weekends...  

Don't do Adler, those professional schools for clinical psychology are sketchy. 

10 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

Kind of shocking though, no? Like how come my accuracy with calculating the volume of a cylinder counts but not my ability to write or think critically? Lmao... because in practice I'll definitely be assessing my patients with protractors and not critical thinking skills

???? fact. 

16 minutes ago, Mickey_ said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from OttawaU?

I actually got a super weird email today from Ottawa that was supposed to be about OGS... but alluded to my admission status...? Essentially, it was a letter saying my OGS app had been reviewed by the committee and that since I was “waitlisted”, my application would be on hold until further notice. SUPER confusing e-mail which also was extremely poorly writtern in terms of grammar so I could be wrong, but I think that was the jist. Anyone else got this e-mail and can comment?

Edited by ventiamericano

3 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

I actually got a super weird email today from Ottawa that was supposed to be about OGS... but alluded to my admission status...? Essentially, it was a letter saying my OGS app had been reviewed by the committee and that since I was “waitlisted”, my application would be on hold until further notice. SUPER confusing e-mail which also was extremely poorly writtern in terms of grammar so I could be wrong, but I think that was the jist. Anyone else got this e-mail and can comment?

Did you apply for OGS or was it automatic? That’s so weird!

8 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

I did too. The OGS and admissions processes are completely separate, so this just means that you were waitlisted for an OGS award. You can receive an award without being admitted, or be admitted while getting rejected for OGS. 

2 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

I did too. The OGS and admissions processes are completely separate, so this just means that you were waitlisted for an OGS award. You can receive an award without being admitted, or be admitted while getting rejected for OGS. 

@Mickey_ Oops, guess I was wrong - sorry to mislead you! But interesting, probably should be better worded in their e-mail.