Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

11 hours ago, Mickey_ said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from OttawaU?

I am ! Although I spoke with my 2nd choice POI yesterday (we are writing a paper together - he was my thesis supervisor) and he kind of hinted at the fact that I may not be getting an offer of admission... Sad face...

11 hours ago, Mickey_ said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from OttawaU?

I received an email stating I was awarded OGS but it does not guarantee admission into the program. I have not received any word on program admission (since interviewing with my POI) but I have 30 days to respond to the scholarship offer. So I assume admission offers will be sent soon because my decision to accept the scholarship would be based on the premise that I was accepted into the program..

2 minutes ago, disney said:

I received an email stating I was awarded OGS but it does not guarantee admission into the program. I have not received any word on program admission (since interviewing with my POI) but I have 30 days to respond to the scholarship offer. So I assume admission offers will be sent soon because my decision to accept the scholarship would be based on the premise that I was accepted into the program..

It may be helpful to connect with your POI and let he or she know that you've received OGS

1 hour ago, disney said:

Are OGS applications supposed to have already been submitted? I might've totally been looking at the wrong place...but I thought that I saw their deadline for those as being due in May 2019 or something like that?

1 minute ago, Willy36 said:

Are OGS applications supposed to have already been submitted? I might've totally been looking at the wrong place...but I thought that I saw their deadline for those as being due in May 2019 or something like that?

Pretty sure these vary school to school unlike CGS-M, so you need to find the deadline for the specific school (some have passed already i.e. Ryerson and Waterloo, some are still open i.e. UTSC). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

2 minutes ago, vandelay11 said:

Pretty sure these vary school to school unlike CGS-M, so you need to find the deadline for the specific school (some have passed already i.e. Ryerson and Waterloo, some are still open i.e. UTSC). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Ah you're absolutely right, my brain was just on the one-track of UTSC ... phew... ! Sorry for the false alarm

43 minutes ago, Willy36 said:

Ah you're absolutely right, my brain was just on the one-track of UTSC ... phew... ! Sorry for the false alarm

I had the exact same panic when I read it. But apparently at like UOttawa deadline is Dec 1. While UTSC is in May.

1 hour ago, vandelay11 said:

Many schools will automatically consider you for CGS once admitted into the program; your application materials are used for the CGS application

16 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Hey everyone!

I thought I would finally join the conversation here, as I've been lurking these threads for months :) I'm currently in my last year of undergrad at UofT doing my honours thesis and I have applied to SCCP at OISE, York (I've been rejected), and Ryerson. I've also applied to the MA of child study and education at OISE (teaching program) and MSW at UofT. 

I honestly won't be surprised if I don't get in anywhere my first year applying. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Adler University in Toronto? Apparently you can get your masters in psych and it prepares you to be registered with the college of psychologists of Ontario. The only downfall is, though, the tuition is almost $50k for the two years and the classes are only on the weekends...  

Hey! I've given a lot of thought to and gathered a lot of info on Adler. There are so many pros and cons, but I think determining whether it is a good decision for you comes down to many, many different factors. I am happy to talk about this further with you if that may be helpful! Feel free to DM me.

8 minutes ago, C_Lamoureux said:

Many schools will automatically consider you for CGS once admitted into the program; your application materials are used for the CGS application

Really? I'd be so pleased if that's true. When I submitted my CGS app + research proposal to the research portal on December 1st, it made me choose 3 schools that would review my application materials. None of those schools have offered me admission so I figured I'm SOL for CGS, crossing my fingers for OGS. 

From the York website, for example: "The selection process and post-award administration are carried out at the university level, under the guidance of the three agencies. Students submit their application to the university at which they propose to hold their award via the Research Portal." Deadline of December 1st 2018. 

Edited by gillis_55

Just now, gillis_55 said:

When I submitted my CGS app + research proposal to the research portal on December 1st, it made me choose 3 schools that would review my application materials. None of those schools have offered me admission so I figured I'm SOL for CGS, crossing my fingers for OGS. 

Current mood, I'd be so happy to get CGS even though I got declined by all 3 and it'd be totally useless at this point LOL

Just now, higaisha said:

Current mood, I'd be so happy to get CGS even though I got declined by all 3 and it'd be totally useless at this point LOL

Hey, you can still put it on your CV as a declined award! That's what I'm telling myself to feel better, haha. 

Just now, gillis_55 said:

Hey, you can still put it on your CV as a declined award! That's what I'm telling myself to feel better, haha. 

Thats why I want it--it'd be so good for applying next round and will sit so beautifully on my CV with the declined in italics 

Unless my memory is off, decisions for CGS-M are sent out April 1st. And considering the deadline, as mentioned above, was December 1st, I don’t think accepting applicants are automatically considered for a CGS award.

Even if the department used your application materials, federal funding applications typically require references to upload their documents via their institution email (which a university administrator obviously cannot do)

41 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Really? I'd be so pleased if that's true. When I submitted my CGS app + research proposal to the research portal on December 1st, it made me choose 3 schools that would review my application materials. None of those schools have offered me admission so I figured I'm SOL for CGS, crossing my fingers for OGS. 

From the York website, for example: "The selection process and post-award administration are carried out at the university level, under the guidance of the three agencies. Students submit their application to the university at which they propose to hold their award via the Research Portal." Deadline of December 1st 2018. 

I know for certain some schools do this but I can’t say which

29 minutes ago, C_Lamoureux said:

I know for certain some schools do this but I can’t say which

You sure you're not thinking of OGS? I know some schools (like Ryerson) do automatically consider you for OGS using your admission application.

56 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Unless my memory is off, decisions for CGS-M are sent out April 1st. And considering the deadline, as mentioned above, was December 1st, I don’t think accepting applicants are automatically considered for a CGS award.

Even if the department used your application materials, federal funding applications typically require references to upload their documents via their institution email (which a university administrator obviously cannot do)

Interesting, I was worrying that the tri-council/CGS-M decisions would be later than that and that I wouldn't find out about what institutions I potentially got CGS-M funding for until after the deadline to accept/decline (April 15th). That being said, I don't want to hold on to an offer for a school I am less enthused about just because of that? Ack!

2 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Interesting, I was worrying that the tri-council/CGS-M decisions would be later than that and that I wouldn't find out about what institutions I potentially got CGS-M funding for until after the deadline to accept/decline (April 15th). That being said, I don't want to hold on to an offer for a school I am less enthused about just because of that? Ack!

Certainly worth double-checking (I haven't checked since December) but I'm fairly sure the status of your application is updated April 1st

Just now, s_bellow said:

Certainly worth double-checking (I haven't checked since December) but I'm fairly sure the status of your application is updated April 1st

Wooh! You're right! Thank you for alerting me to this, I dunno why I thought otherwise

4 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Wooh! You're right! Thank you for alerting me to this, I dunno why I thought otherwise

No problem. Good luck!

I'm not exactly sure why they don't offer them a bit sooner, considering the deadline to accept program offers is shortly thereafter

Edited by s_bellow

2 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

I'm not exactly sure why they don't offer them a bit sooner, considering the deadline to accept program offers is shortly thereafter

I know.... I would rather not wait that long before deciding both to ease my own mind but also because it seems cruel to the alternate/wait-listed people. 

50 minutes ago, gradlady said:

Has anyone on this thread heard back about acceptance or rejection/ waitlisted from Waterloo. I know someone from the results page got a Waterloo acceptance but anyone else?

Yeah, I interviewed there as well and haven't heard a peep. I assume that I'm either waitlisted or rejected at this point because there have been a couple acceptances (I think?) on the results page. But I'm wondering whether it's appropriate to email either the POI or the coordinator to ask about the status of my application? I wish I knew where I stood with them for certain.

2 hours ago, gradlady said:

Has anyone on this thread heard back about acceptance or rejection/ waitlisted from Waterloo. I know someone from the results page got a Waterloo acceptance but anyone else?

Hi yes, i accepted my unofficial offer although an official one hasn't come yet. Let me know if you have questions or anything