2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

7 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

Are there any neuro programs that are officially done with sending invites?

Just wondering if we can get a list going so we don't have to keep wondering. Also so that more than 1 person doesn't have to call in and ask.

Harvard is definitely done, someone else asked admissions.

9 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

Are there any neuro programs that are officially done with sending invites?

Just wondering if we can get a list going so we don't have to keep wondering. Also so that more than 1 person doesn't have to call in and ask.

UC Davis is done as well.

So it is UC Davis, Duke Neurobiology, Harvard Neuro so far.

Edited by Compneuronerd

I have now read every post on this board only to find myself really upset. I have applied to 7 programs at 6 schools. 

The reason I find myself upset is because is because I paid the two separate application fees to apply to both the Graduate Neuroscience Peogram AND the Behavioral Neuroscience program both at Oregon Health and Science Uni. I read that somebody who didn’t even apply for the behavioral neuroscience program was offered an interview. That really, really pisses me off that behavioral neuroscience would offered an interview to someone that did not even pay the application fee or formally apply to their specific program. I have been officially rejected from the neuroscience graduate program but I have not yet heard from behavioral neuroscience.  I have a GPA of 3.9 in my current masters program, 1 pub, 4 posters. My disadvantage is that neuroscience was not my bachelors nor my masters But I have still demonstrated that I am capable of being productive and publishing. Because of my masters degree, I was able to get the GRE waiver.

If I end up getting rejected I am seriously going to raise a stink. It’s not fair to offer it to someone who didn’t even formally apply for the program when others are just as qualified.

57 minutes ago, basejumper said:

I have now read every post on this board only to find myself really upset. I have applied to 7 programs at 6 schools. 

The reason I find myself upset is because is because I paid the two separate application fees to apply to both the Graduate Neuroscience Peogram AND the Behavioral Neuroscience program both at Oregon Health and Science Uni. I read that somebody who didn’t even apply for the behavioral neuroscience program was offered an interview. That really, really pisses me off that behavioral neuroscience would offered an interview to someone that did not even pay the application fee or formally apply to their specific program. I have been officially rejected from the neuroscience graduate program but I have not yet heard from behavioral neuroscience.  I have a GPA of 3.9 in my current masters program, 1 pub, 4 posters. My disadvantage is that neuroscience was not my bachelors nor my masters But I have still demonstrated that I am capable of being productive and publishing. Because of my masters degree, I was able to get the GRE waiver.

If I end up getting rejected I am seriously going to raise a stink. It’s not fair to offer it to someone who didn’t even formally apply for the program when others are just as qualified.

I think you may be overreaching to assume you're "just as qualified" as the other person who got an interview. It's always upsetting to be passed over for an interview, especially when other people get an interview who didn't formally apply, but presumably these people probably have some advantage that you don't. Maybe they had a stronger SoP, or they had a better fit with the program. I'm not saying this to be mean, but just to caution you against "raising a stink" which may burn bridges for you in the future. Offering interviews to students who fit better with another program is fairly common practice for a lot of schools.

25 minutes ago, maya123z said:

I think you may be overreaching to assume you're "just as qualified" as the other person who got an interview. It's always upsetting to be passed over for an interview, especially when other people get an interview who didn't formally apply, but presumably these people probably have some advantage that you don't. Maybe they had a stronger SoP, or they had a better fit with the program. I'm not saying this to be mean, but just to caution you against "raising a stink" which may burn bridges for you in the future. Offering interviews to students who fit better with another program is fairly common practice for a lot of schools.

The fact remains. Preference should have been given to those who applied for that specific program.

I saw two posts on the results page that interview invites were sent out on Friday for Dartmouth Psychological and Brain Sciences program. Does anyone know which area of interest sent out invites? Or was it the whole department?

40 minutes ago, vallaboop said:

I saw two posts on the results page that interview invites were sent out on Friday for Dartmouth Psychological and Brain Sciences program. Does anyone know which area of interest sent out invites? Or was it the whole department?

I received mine from a professor who was interested in working with me (the program doesn't have rotations, so you get admitted by specific labs i guess) on Dec. 23rd. And he says that if I am also interested in working in his lab, I will be invited to the recruit weekend (Jan 25-26). Unfortunately I wasn't able to accept the invitation...

47 minutes ago, basejumper said:

The fact remains. Preference should have been given to those who applied for that specific program.

Preference is usually given to the strongest applicants whose interests best align with that program. Its well known/common place that programs can refer exceptional applicants to other departments of similar interests. Especially programs that are so close like Behavioral Neuroscience and Graduate Neuroscience...

It might be useful to ask the programs if it is necessary to apply to both-and if they refer applicants to the other one. Might’ve saved you time, money, and disappointment. 

Received an email an hour ago inviting me to interview with Vanderbilt Neuroscience!! Interview is Jan 24-25, with the main interview day on Friday the 25th. 

I'm so relieved, their IGP sent out interview invites so long ago, I thought NGP must have already sent them and I missed it. 

2 hours ago, basejumper said:

Hey, It's me you're talking about. I haven't fully clarified the situation, but the short explanation is yes I applied to OHSU NGP, was invited for an interview with Behav Neuro, and waitlisted by NGP. 

The long explanation is... longer. I spent a hugely long time on the phone with directors of both NGP and Behav Neuro, talking about which program is more applicable to my interests, because I didn't want to pay both application fees. On multiple days at SfN, I spent a long time at OHSU's booths, talking to current students and faculty about which program to apply to, and subsequently getting my name in their door. I invited members of both admissions committees to come to my poster, to see what my research interests were, and further discuss what program I should be applying to. So even though I ended up only applying to the NGP, I had huge amounts of contact with Behav Neuro, who probably were interested in my application and offered to review it when the NGP made their decision. 

The reason I share this is because it shows that the personal aspect of the application process... through my personal interactions with these people, I was able to secure an interview. I would really advise against "making a stink" about it, since this alone has shown how much your personal interactions can influence the decisions. 

2 hours ago, vallaboop said:

Sheesh. I applied. I would think it would be PBS in general and then they ask for your faculty interests

2 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

I received mine from a professor who was interested in working with me (the program doesn't have rotations, so you get admitted by specific labs i guess) on Dec. 23rd. And he says that if I am also interested in working in his lab, I will be invited to the recruit weekend (Jan 25-26). Unfortunately I wasn't able to accept the invitation...

Thanks for the info! That makes things a little tighter!

7 hours ago, k8e said:

Anyone know if JHU Neuro is done sending out invites? 

Yeah I think they are done. Their dates were 17-19th December for sending out interview invites and a couple days after that they sent out an unofficial rejection email.

13 hours ago, dexter9543 said:

Yeah I think they are done. Their dates were 17-19th December for sending out interview invites and a couple days after that they sent out an unofficial rejection email.

I haven't gotten a rejection or acceptance email from them yet. An interview on the 17th is looking unlikely though haha.

3 hours ago, 7layermagik said:

I haven't gotten a rejection or acceptance email from them yet. An interview on the 17th is looking unlikely though haha.

Their interviews are from Jan 30~, but the acceptances came out around the 18th of December or so. I'm not sure if they are done sending out invites but the deadline to respond to email is Jan 2nd - if not a lot of people are attending the interviews, then I guess it's possible that they'll start going into waitlist.... (although please don't quote me when I say this!)

Just got my first interview (wooo!) at UC Davis for IGG. Somewhat annoyed though as I realized the recruitment weekends for IGG and Neuro are the same, so I believe I didn't get a neuro interview as I put my first choice as IGG. Just sad I spent the extra $105  on an application when there was no way I could have gotten an interview for both.

2 hours ago, jayewal said:

Just got my first interview (wooo!) at UC Davis for IGG. Somewhat annoyed though as I realized the recruitment weekends for IGG and Neuro are the same, so I believe I didn't get a neuro interview as I put my first choice as IGG. Just sad I spent the extra $105  on an application when there was no way I could have gotten an interview for both.

congrats!! I applied to UCD as well and haven't heard from them yet. In fact, I only got a few rejections but no interview. Anxious and desperate, but you gave me some hope~

So are we calling it for CNBC PNC? I saw a couple people say they were releasing them on the 22nd, but only one result submitted...I feel like they could just be doing another round in January, no?

I tried to email them last week, but got an out of office message. Maybe I'll try again later this week.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, zzzz233 said:

Thanks, that was helpful! Who was the professor if you don't mind me asking