Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

9 minutes ago, Docsoc said:

long time lurker here. curious, do the schools sponsor you to come for visit day? Got into Berkeley and I'm curious if students typically buy their own flights

Congrats on Berkeley! So far, Emory is the only school I've heard back from that offered to pay for the entire recruitment weekend. Also, I would bet that some schools offer financial assistance to low-income students who can't afford the trip, but not sure.

13 minutes ago, Docsoc said:

long time lurker here. curious, do the schools sponsor you to come for visit day? Got into Berkeley and I'm curious if students typically buy their own flights

Most if not all of the schools I got into offered to reimburse flights and provide lodging with a current graduate student. One (University of Washington) said they would "subsidize" travel. 

22 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

Same here, $24k for 9 months plus $4-6k for summers. That's all the info I have.

Same. I'm hoping to find out about a travel stipend or something in the final details -- I don't think I'll make it to visit days without one, unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

Same. I'm hoping to find out about a travel stipend or something in the final details -- I don't think I'll make it to visit days without one, unfortunately. 

My email from UCLA says $500 for out of state travel and $250 for in state travel and lodging at a current graduate student's house. 

25 minutes ago, socchi92 said:

My email from UCLA says $500 for out of state travel and $250 for in state travel and lodging at a current graduate student's house. 

That's good news! Hopefully I'm eligible as well. My email doesn't mention anything like that, though. I'll have to look into it. 

39 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

That's good news! Hopefully I'm eligible as well. My email doesn't mention anything like that, though. I'll have to look into it. 

I'm wondering if they decided on it later in the process. You were accepted weeks before I was, if I remember correctly. 

Congrats to all the Toronto admits! I had also applied there, safe to assume I'm rejected.. and no other acceptances yet.

and despite all the pessimism brewing up inside me, I feel so warm when I read all these encouraging comments in this forum. Makes me all the more want to be part of the graduate community :( 

56 minutes ago, artvandaley said:

Congrats to all the Toronto admits! I had also applied there, safe to assume I'm rejected.. and no other acceptances yet.

and despite all the pessimism brewing up inside me, I feel so warm when I read all these encouraging comments in this forum. Makes me all the more want to be part of the graduate community :( 

Me too. Good things will come. Have faith!

This waiting is hurting my anxiety numbers that I have been working so hard to keep at a bearable level. Have not even been called for an interview from anywhere... talk about blue. I had a temper tantrum in front of my mentor who told me I would be turning people away! There were vigorous hand gestures and everything... and I am her most decorous mentee.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:06 PM, jriveracal said:

Lol YAAAAASSS. I literally died. And then realized it was a frickin webinar lol. I'm 'diverse' too though so can't really speak to whether it went out to everyone or not.

Was this for an interview? Im an international student and didnt get the email. Im wondering if I should assume ive been rejected. 

I woke up feeling like I was going to make February my bitch, but my horoscope is sad af ?

Feb 1, 2019 - A goal you've recently been on the verge of attaining may suddenly hit unexpected setbacks. However major or minor they are, it's going to be disheartening. The only thing you can do is pick up the pieces and move on. The goal isn't dead in the water. There are only some extra tasks that need to be done before you achieve it. Do what you have to, and hang in there.

5 hours ago, aniesociology said:

Has anyone been called for interview from Duke, Princeton or Yale? 

Does anyone know if these departments normally interview all the people they plan to accept ? 

I don’t think Princeton will communicate about acceptances until later in Feb. now we are in feb so it could be any time now I guess.

heres hoping I hear from somewhere today! Whether positive or negative. I’ve been refreshing my email to no avail.

32 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

I woke up feeling like I was going to make February my bitch, but my horoscope is sad af ?

Feb 1, 2019 - A goal you've recently been on the verge of attaining may suddenly hit unexpected setbacks. However major or minor they are, it's going to be disheartening. The only thing you can do is pick up the pieces and move on. The goal isn't dead in the water. There are only some extra tasks that need to be done before you achieve it. Do what you have to, and hang in there.

Got any other goals beside getting into grad school? Lol

Had a heart attack when a call came in during class today. Almost stepped out to take it but rationalized that I could call back after class. 

Finally listened to the voicemail and it was just the fake IRS telling me I owed California money... I feel like my anxiety is going to be at an all time high until 5pm today.