Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

1 minute ago, antioxidant17 said:

I haven't heard back from BC, I've just seen that a few people were accepted there on the results page.

I only saw one person I think, but I don't think they sent all the offers. I am tirelessly waiting to hear back from BC. The last time I spoke to them they told me that they are still reviewing apps for the sociology btw

9 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I only saw one person I think, but I don't think they sent all the offers. I am tirelessly waiting to hear back from BC. The last time I spoke to them they told me that they are still reviewing apps for the sociology btw

Good to know! Thank you. I was hoping they hadn't made all their decisions yet.

46 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

Just got an email from Penn two seconds ago. I'm in!!!! Can't believe it.

Congrats!!! I wonder, did the department email you or the POI email you? I'm still waiting and there is no change on my status now?Fingers crossed!!

17 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Congratulations! So exciting! Do you have a preference out of your acceptances so far?

Thanks so much! Right now, I'm debating UCLA vs. Penn, assuming I don't get into either. I love LA so much, but it is pretty expensive to live there, especially on a grad stipend. Philly is much more affordable by comparison, and Penn has more professors whose interests align with my own. My partner is from Boston and I'm from Chicago, so Penn definitely makes more sense as far as being near family and friends. I guess I just figured out my preference lol

I am still waiting to hear back from Northwestern and UChicago (assuming I've been implicitly rejected from Columbia, NYU, and Harvard). I would probably pick Northwestern over Penn because of the location. But now who knows? I really wasn't anticipating getting into Penn (or anywhere really, given the randomness of this process). 

Hey, I am on the wait-list at University of Toronto... I will say it is *one only* good thing happening to me recenlty... but I’ve heard that getting admission for non-Canadian international applicants (yes, I’m, although I am in a doctoral program in the U.S now, and non-American) is extremely difficult, so I’m not expecting much... (maybe they have separate slots?) but really wanted to get accepted!!!

Anyone knows about those who got accepted from the wait-list at U of T and who international applicants?  

1 hour ago, SgtDonut said:

Thanks so much! Right now, I'm debating UCLA vs. Penn, assuming I don't get into either. I love LA so much, but it is pretty expensive to live there, especially on a grad stipend. Philly is much more affordable by comparison, and Penn has more professors whose interests align with my own. My partner is from Boston and I'm from Chicago, so Penn definitely makes more sense as far as being near family and friends. I guess I just figured out my preference lol

I am still waiting to hear back from Northwestern and UChicago (assuming I've been implicitly rejected from Columbia, NYU, and Harvard). I would probably pick Northwestern over Penn because of the location. But now who knows? I really wasn't anticipating getting into Penn (or anywhere really, given the randomness of this process). 

That's awesome. I wanted to get into UCLA so bad so that I could stay in CA, but you're right, COL is pretty outrageous. UCLA also seems to have much larger cohorts than UPenn. I'm completely unfamiliar with Philadelphia so I'm excited to go for visit day and check-out what the program and the city have to offer. Best of luck to you with Northwestern!

11 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

That's awesome. I wanted to get into UCLA so bad so that I could stay in CA, but you're right, COL is pretty outrageous. UCLA also seems to have much larger cohorts than UPenn. I'm completely unfamiliar with Philadelphia so I'm excited to go for visit day and check-out what the program and the city have to offer. Best of luck to you with Northwestern!

You'll be at the visit day as well? Awesome! And I agree, the larger cohorts make me a bit nervous. So that's a big plus with Penn. Philly is a cool city though. I think it flies under the radar since it's in the Northeast and there's such a high concentration of cities there.

11 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

You'll be at the visit day as well? Awesome! And I agree, the larger cohorts make me a bit nervous. So that's a big plus with Penn. Philly is a cool city though. I think it flies under the radar since it's in the Northeast and there's such a high concentration of cities there.

How big is the cohort usually?

i am relieved that northwestern seems to release all results at the same time. If they are “on schedule” it will be a nice change of pace 

1 minute ago, markhame said:

How big is the cohort usually?

i am relieved that northwestern seems to release all results at the same time. If they are “on schedule” it will be a nice change of pace 

https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/social-sciences/sociology/#program-statistics

Average number of students in a new cohort = 15
Average number of total students in the program = 113

3 minutes ago, markhame said:

While we are at it can we do our best to stop using the results board as a chat room 

Second this. It's great when people include some details when they post an actual result, but the miscellaneous convo just makes it a mess with little credibility.

Edited by bandanajack