Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

1 minute ago, utley24 said:

For what it's worth, I actually agree with your premise that celebrating/bragging on this site can be in poor taste, since so many people here are primarily anxious and dealing with rejections and/or difficult decisions. I think this forum ought to primarily be for information exchange and commiserating--although claiming acceptances is fine when done appropriately and lends credibility to the results board...but because this is all anonymous, we can't really properly actually celebrate the individual's accomplishment, so bragging about one's wealth of acceptances really just serves to make other people feel like shit while signaling that some person out there is having a swell time with this process. Nobody really comes out ahead there. 

That being said, you were a dick about it when you could have just said something simple like "Hey congratulations, that's great, just be conscientious that a lot of people reading this board are nervous and dealing with rejections of their own".

Don't be a dick. And go Google the Streisand Effect while you're at it. 

I actually think it's heartening to see other people getting into a lot of places. It shows that the unexpected can happen. Like for the Stanford admit, they're clearly surprised at how well things are going for them. It gives me hope that there might be some surprises on the horizon for me (and the rest of us). And looking back on this thread, there's plenty of congratulating one another going on. It's mostly positive vibes. Everyone engages with this site differently. I also do think there's an importance difference here between bragging and celebrating. The original post didn't read as bragging to me at all. 

5 minutes ago, DuBois said:

Will really be grateful if anyone can confirm it as I am 12.5 hours away from the US and cannot call. I have to stay awake even during nights to go through this. 

None of us really have any way of knowing this, unfortunately. It's way too early to call.

27 minutes ago, DuBois said:

Does anyone know if all the Chicago and Harvard acceptances have gone out ? Would be immenseley grateful. Thanks 

I saw 3 Harvard admits. 2 by phone, 1 by e-mail. I did not receive anything yet

1 minute ago, TheBunny said:

I saw 3 Harvard admits. 2 by phone, 1 by e-mail. I did not receive anything yet

Yeah, there have been a few. But we don't know if they're sending them all out at the same time or spacing them out. This varies by school to school and year to year, so unless someone had insider information or spoke to someone at Harvard, we have no way of knowing whether they're done sending acceptances. Clearly, they're using both email and phone, which makes it even more unpredictable, rather than just sending  out a ton of acceptances at once via email or on a portal.

11 minutes ago, tobe_newbee said:

Hi, I'm currently a doctoral student and applying for other doctoral programs for "fit" reason. Does anyone know if it is a disadvantage that I am already in a doctoral program? I've heard such things... so that makes me so nervous because I didn't receive good news yet. 

No problem, I think, If u have legitimate reasons for this. My case is the same and I got admitted to two programs, and none of them asked anything about it. I only explained why I decided to change my school/and also country (as I am international student) in my SOP. Plus one of the professors from my school wrote a LOR for me. Don't worry about it :)

Edited by Sercan_

5 hours ago, DuBois said:

Will really be grateful if anyone can confirm it as I am 12.5 hours away from the US and cannot call. I have to stay awake even during nights to go through this. 

Are you from India? :) I am - and in that +12.5 hour zone as well. Can totally relate to how many late night you must've had over the past 4-6 weeks.

37 minutes ago, ALieNNatioN said:

I just hope to hear back from the schools that I saw accepted result posts (UCI, UCSD, SUNY Albany, UChicago) :(

Dropped a message to my POI at UCSD a few days back - and he hasn't responded to me yet. ? This comes in after having spent an hour with him on Skype a few months ago, where he offered to review my SOP As well. I'm hoping he replies soon - some clarity would be nice. 

Hi,

I stumbled on this site/thread while looking up on Google when the Princeton admissions would come out, and created an account to hopefully provide some insight to those who applied to Harvard. I got an acceptance call on Monday, and the next day (Tuesday) they sent out an email to about a dozen applicants admitted to the Sociology PhD program (listing each person by name) about being accepted and going to the visit day. If you weren't included on that email, it seems unlikely you were accepted. I'm sorry, and I hope this brings you some closure. From what I gather in that email, however, they haven't made decisions for the Sociology and Social Policy PhD program. I don't know how that program works, how admission to that affects admission to just sociology, so maybe there's hope?

11 hours ago, Vldksh said:

Anyone wants to claim NYU acceptance?? Congratulations! was it an automated email?

It wasn't an automated email to check the portal, it was an email from the chair of the admissions committee (so not a POI necessarily)

2 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

Dropped a message to my POI at UCSD a few days back - and he hasn't responded to me yet. ? This comes in after having spent an hour with him on Skype a few months ago, where he offered to review my SOP As well. I'm hoping he replies soon - some clarity would be nice. 

Hope you'll hear from your POI soon! At least they should notify their decisions instead of keeping us waiting...

1 hour ago, guest673929 said:

Hi,

I stumbled on this site/thread while looking up on Google when the Princeton admissions would come out, and created an account to hopefully provide some insight to those who applied to Harvard. I got an acceptance call on Monday, and the next day (Tuesday) they sent out an email to about a dozen applicants admitted to the Sociology PhD program (listing each person by name) about being accepted and going to the visit day. If you weren't included on that email, it seems unlikely you were accepted. I'm sorry, and I hope this brings you some closure. From what I gather in that email, however, they haven't made decisions for the Sociology and Social Policy PhD program. I don't know how that program works, how admission to that affects admission to just sociology, so maybe there's hope?

Thanks so much for sharing and CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!! What an accomplishment ?

3 hours ago, guest673929 said:

Hi,

Have the Chicago admits also been sent out ?

31 minutes ago, antioxidant17 said:

Ok so, I've seen people have been admitted to UC San Diego, Boston College, and USC. I'm guessing there's no way I got into San Diego, but should I give up on USC and Boston College as well?

When did you hear back from BC? I am still waiting for it. I did not get any notification