Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

1 hour ago, utley24 said:

How legit of a site is http://www.phdstipends.com/ ? I believe @jriveracal and @socchi92 were the ones promoting it. I'm looking at the numbers now...

A lot of it looks accurate (and the concept of it is awesome), but I find it pretty hard to believe that someone at Boulder is getting $40k per year. 

And find it especially hard to believe that Chicago is simultaneously giving different students $40k, $37k, and $28k...there's no way they have that big of a difference. 

Any insight? 

One thing to note is a person is not necessarily getting 40k per year if they inputted 40k, it could be just 40k for one year, including summer and external fellowships. Other years they could be getting less (or more). 

5 hours ago, Soc_foucault said:

Has anyone accepted at Berkeley gotten any emails from faculty or grad students there? I received my acceptance letter and info about the visit weekend from Amie Acik, their graduate coordinator, but I haven't gotten emails from anyone else. I would love an opportunity to chat with a faculty member or two, if they have time. 

Berkeley was the only school were I applied to the GSE instead of Sociology dept...but I also am in the same boat. I got an official letter from the Graduate Student Division, then an invite to the Diversity Day, but haven't heard from my dept./ about funding at all.

5 minutes ago, Koba17 said:

I see one update for CUNY on the results page, anybody claim and give any more details about it?  Any others get word from them?  I'm still in the dark

In the same boat, haven't heard anything yet. I'm curious to know what the acceptance notification said if it didn't stipulate whether the admit was funded...They mentioned they didn't know whether or not they had only been awarded a stipend. I'd expect CUNY to be upfront about that. 

Edited by SeijiAmasawyeah

Just now, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

In the same boat, haven't heard anything yet. I'm curious to know what the acceptance notification said if it didn't stipulate whether or not the admit was funded or not...They mentioned they didn't know whether or not they had only been awarded a stipend. I'd expect CUNY to be upfront about that. 

I think their hunch about "tuition" funding probably means it only covers tuition.  Another poster last week said they were giving half of the admits full tuition plus stipend, and the other half was only tuition.  So it would add up if that were true.  Its just strange that the updates from them have been so few and far between

1 minute ago, Koba17 said:

I think their hunch about "tuition" funding probably means it only covers tuition.  Another poster last week said they were giving half of the admits full tuition plus stipend, and the other half was only tuition.  So it would add up if that were true.  Its just strange that the updates from them have been so few and far between

Ah, thanks, I remember that now. I also wonder whether or not they were interviewed prior to receiving their acceptance. 

Made this account just to respond as I am on the same boat with frustration/anxiety. I posted the CUNY acceptance.

I was not interviewed but talked to my contact last week after I emailed about acceptances. I am a little on the fence with this, because I was hoping to get full funding. The letter stated that I was awarded a Tuition Fellowship which according to the website is only full tuition coverage for five years. I did not receive an email about my acceptance, I just happened to look at the website and the decision letter was there (dated today, Feb 20th).

Edited by atena19

4 minutes ago, atena19 said:

Made this account just to respond as I am on the same boat with frustration/anxiety. I posted the CUNY acceptance.

I was not interviewed but talked to my contact last week after I emailed about acceptances. I am a little on the fence with this, because I was hoping to get full funding. The letter stated that I was awarded a Tuition Fellowship which according to the website is only full tuition coverage for five years. I did not receive an email about my acceptance, I just happened to look at the website and the decision letter was there (dated today, Feb 20th).

Hi yes, also got a CUNY acceptance informally a while ago, a formal decision was posted today. I have both a tuition waiver and a 26k stipend for 5 years.

Edited by socquant

18 minutes ago, atena19 said:

15 minutes ago, socquant said:

Hi yes, also got a CUNY acceptance informally a while ago, a formal decision was posted today. I have both a tuition waiver and a 26k stipend for 5 years.

This is good to know.  I'm going to check now. Thank you both.  I'm anxious too because CUNY is my last school that I have a chance with, so I'm really hoping to get in.  Otherwise I have no idea what I'll do lol

I have a somewhat random question - do international students know whether we should apply for a tourist visa for the visiting weekend? There seems to also be a different one for those 'attending meetings or conferences' and I'm just not sure whether it would fit into this category?

15 hours ago, socquant said:

Here to claim another CUNY acceptance! Was interviewed last week and asked about whether I intended to continue working part time during the PhD. I was awarded only the tuition scholarship in my acceptance letter today. 

Excited to attend the admitted students events and go from there.

16 hours ago, socquant said:

Same here. I got a call last week from them asking about how I felt about the program and if I was intending on being a full time student. I then received an email early this morning to check the portal where I found a decision letter with the same package (26k stipend plus tuition waiver for 5 years). Hope this info is helpful and best of luck to all!