Anxiety and performance

AB1234

HI all,

I wanted to ask you a question regarding philosophical performance while waiting for admission results: do you feel that your capacity to work, or your concentration, diminishes or does it stays the same? I've been feeling that it is harder for me to concentrate and do assignments, etc. and I was wondering if it was normal or if I should see some mental health professional. 

Thank you all. 

I've struggled a lot to get work done over the past month. My ability to concentrate, my sleep etc. have been absolutely terrrible. I'm sure this is true for a lot of people going through this process. It feels like there's so much at stake. Basically, I think it's normal but seeing a professional and talk about it might still be helpful. 

I'm generally quite a workaholic, but I've been a little out of sorts the last few months too. I think this is for two reasons. First, and most obviously, admissions season takes a lot out of one. Second, I think it's hard to muster much motivation in one's last semester. I already have enough credits for my MA, and I'm already in at some very good places. So, it's kinda hard to give a damn about this semester. This, combined with my workaholic nature, makes me feel a bit weird. 

TL;DR: I'm with you, and I think it's perfectly normal. 

I'm right there with you. I can't concentrate, my performance is lacking lately, and I'm starting to get physical symptoms of anxiety. Now, I should preface and say I already have anxiety and depression as-is (both under treatment; I'm functioning fine), but this is making it so much worse. I have this muscle twitch that won't go away, it's great. 

Basically, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal under the circumstances, but there is never anything wrong with seeking professional help, especially if it would help you weather the storm. Go for it!

My situation is the same (or even worse). I only got accepted by Western, and I'm waitlisted by 6 schools. It's hard for me not to keep thinking about the chance of being admitted by one of the 6 schools. It's really anxious to keep waiting...

1 hour ago, AB1234 said:

I've been feeling that it is harder for me to concentrate and do assignments, etc. and I was wondering if it was normal or if I should see some mental health professional. 

I'd say both. This is a super stressful thing we're doing and it's okay to ask for help. 

43 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

I'm right there with you. I can't concentrate, my performance is lacking lately, and I'm starting to get physical symptoms of anxiety. Now, I should preface and say I already have anxiety and depression as-is (both under treatment; I'm functioning fine), but this is making it so much worse. I have this muscle twitch that won't go away, it's great. 

Basically, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal under the circumstances, but there is never anything wrong with seeking professional help, especially if it would help you weather the storm. Go for it!

Pretty much me, too. I have both an anxiety disorder as well as Persistent Depression Disorder, and I've been in an depressive episode since January (only gotten worse the last few weeks). Headaches. Lack of sleep. Constant going to the bathroom. Stomach bloating. Trouble breathing, etc. I've just been getting through it lol. It's been hard to get serious work done, although I have been doing some reading and playing my drum kit.

Edited by Anti-Climacus

21 minutes ago, Anti-Climacus said:

Pretty much me, too. I have both an anxiety disorder as well as Persistent Depression Disorder, and I've been in an depressive episode since January (only gotten worse the last few weeks). Headaches. Lack of sleep. Constant going to the bathroom. Stomach bloating. Trouble breathing, etc. I've just been getting through it lol. It's been hard to get serious work done, although I have been doing some reading and playing my drum kit.

God, same, all of that. Except the drums, but I've been doing some art. 

Echoing much here: definitely have had a hard time mustering up the emotional and psychological oomph to continue reading and writing philosophy, or do much else in life for that matter. Been rejected from all seven PhD programs I've applied to, cue all those thoughts: "Am I piece of shit?", "Terrible at philosophy," "Why do I try so hard?", "I just have to accept the level I'm at," "I should just buy a trailer and sell San Pedro cactuses instead."

But these all pass, and non of them are worth any real consideration. You're a bitchen good dude (gender neutral) whose found a great passion, and that's all that matters. If you feel like professional help would ease some stress, or if you feel like you just need to talk, go and find it. All it can do is help, and more power to you. 

And remember, don't buy a trailer and sell San Pedro cactuses. (Because I'd prefer to not have competition) 

Thank you all for your responses and for your support, you guys are great. It is a tough season and it has worn me somehow; given that almost everything related to admissions is out of my control gives me so much anxiety. But I'm glad there are other people who understand and with whom I can share my feelings. 

I wish you nothing but the best.

edit: typo

Edited by AB1234

I was falling apart earlier this term from anxiety about applications. Then, I kid you not, I started drinking more water (I was actually very dehydrated) and applied Stoic moral psychology. It quite literally cured me. The good news I've received so far happened after this, so they weren't a factor in my feeling better.

My point is not that you need to drink water and apply Stoic thought to your mental noise if you're feeling down. The point is that these two things are the last things I thought would help me, so you should try out everything you can that might help you.

2 hours ago, Prose said:

My point is not that you need to drink water.

This is actually very underrated advice. Crazy what hydrating our bodies can do for us. Unfortunately, I've been terrible with hydrating myself. Going to go grab a glass of water now.

I can completely relate to this. From around the end of January through a couple of weeks ago I had a persistent eyelid twitch. It disappeared as soon as I got my first acceptance notification...

29 minutes ago, redsubywa said:

I can completely relate to this. From around the end of January through a couple of weeks ago I had a persistent eyelid twitch. It disappeared as soon as I got my first acceptance notification...

AHA I knew my eyelid twitch was anxiety related! I'm not alone! My foot keeps doing it too, so violently it wakes me up at night. Maybe it'll all go away after Prospectives' Weekend....

You're not alone. This is normal to feel terrible and disoriented now. It is OK to get help. In fact I encourage you to get very well socially connected, either with your friends or your family or faith community or sign up for short term therapy. (Counseling services on your campus might be available for free)

Edited by Duns Eith

I hear this. This process has got me questioning my worth and viability as a philosopher - or even just as a student of philosophy - maybe even as a person! 1a/2w/6r/6 pending. Two of those 6 pending are presumed rejections. Very little possibility of going to a top 50 school remains, barring I get accepted at Rochester, where I was waitlisted (I emailed and was informed that the likelihood is low). Makes me wonder what the weaknesses in my dossier were. I assume the un-prestigious nature of both my BA and MA institution coupled with the relative obscurity of my letter-writers may have played a big role (Comes with the territory of un-prestigious institutions, which is doubly unfortunate for such individuals)