Applications 2019

Sigaba

5 hours ago, joebobthebumbo said:

Congrats on getting into Duke, @Karou!!

On that note, is anyone else still waiting to hear from Duke?

I'm still waiting to hear from Duke... A bit discouraged by the responses here indicating that acceptances have probably already been all sent out. I thought my chances were pretty good based on communication with 2 POI. Oh, well.

2 hours ago, daradara said:

Someone I know who once had a Yale interview mentioned that theirs was an hour, and was fairly relaxed but was also asked fairly similar questions, though the POI did not take notes. 

I hope this will be helpful, whether now or in the future. If you have any questions (or anyone else for that matter), please feel free to ask.

1 hour ago, TsarandProphet said:

My Yale interview was something like 25 minutes and involved no questions about my project, my proposed field of study or anything like that. Only casual talk.

This was kind of my experience (I also got invited to a Yale interview last weekend). It was about 50 minutes long and I was asked about my project (where I see it going, how I got interested in it), my interest in history, and about language training, but the questions were mostly fairly casual. 

Edited by potsupotsu

1 hour ago, TsarandProphet said:

My Yale interview was something like 25 minutes and involved no questions about my project, my proposed field of study or anything like that. Only casual talk.

3 minutes ago, potsupotsu said:

This was kind of my experience (I also got invited to a Yale interview on the 17th). It was about 50 minutes long and I was asked about my project (where I see it going, how I got interested in it), my interest in history, and about language training, but the questions were mostly fairly casual. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Indeed, I think this shows just how varied the experience can be. It really depends on your POI and their personality, it seems. After all, mine did say that they personally enjoy speaking with students at great length and they make it a point to do so, which probably accounts for why mine was so abnormally long.

Edited by daradara

2 hours ago, Sigaba said:

Because if you go to Duke, you're not going to a school in the United States, you're going to a school in North Carolina and all that entails.

North Carolina, particularly the Research Triangle where Duke and UNC are both located, is a wonderful place to live. @Karou I would check out the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill thread in the city guide section if you're interested in learning more about the area from afar. 

Thanks @Ragu! I've already looked into Durham quite a bit. Believe it or not, the most anxiety-inducing part of this whole process for me is the prospect of living in the same place for five to six years, I haven't lived anywhere for more than three years at a time in fifteen years! So looking into the location of the schools I wanted to apply to was a very important part of the selection process for me. I have read good things about the area, and think I would like it, but nothing beats going there to get an accurate  idea of how I feel about it. 

That being said, thank you for your perspective, it's nice to hear a positive opinion! If I'm being completely honest, I can be a bit of an idealist, and I believe that there's good and bad aspects to most places (within reason, obviously), it's all about finding the right community, there's something for everyone! Perhaps that is a bit naive, but it's worked out for me so far, in fact, I've become kind of an expert at that sort of thing (what with moving all the time and such ;) ).

Edited by Karou

7 hours ago, joebobthebumbo said:

On that note, is anyone else still waiting to hear from Duke?

Yeah I'm with you all on the anxious wait from Duke. I looked at the past few years and looks like acceptances go out over one or two days and rejections in late Feb/early March. At the start of this application process, I really believed I was going to be more chill about the waiting, but I think I'm going to be on edge until March or whenever the official rejection comes (even if I wholeheartedly trust @OHSP saying acceptances were sent out at the same time). I'm sure this waiting process is a violation of the Geneva convention. Somehow.

5 hours ago, ikeabookshelf said:

Was recently admitted to USC, which is my first decision/acceptance (I'm an Americanist; focus is on 20th century race/gender). I'm still waiting on other decisions, but curious what people's impressions are of USC (program, reputation, etc.) Also would love to hear from anyone else who was accepted!

Hello! I didn't apply to USC but we have very similar research interests -- may I ask where else did you apply?

6 hours ago, ikeabookshelf said:

Was recently admitted to USC, which is my first decision/acceptance (I'm an Americanist; focus is on 20th century race/gender). I'm still waiting on other decisions, but curious what people's impressions are of USC (program, reputation, etc.) Also would love to hear from anyone else who was accepted!

Check your PMs (personal messages).

I got my first acceptance this afternoon from University of Alabama by a phone call. It feels good to get one after not being accepted anywhere last year. Now to wait and see if I receive any funding. I hope this a sign of things to come with the other places I applied to!

6 hours ago, daradara said:

For those in the future who may be interviewed, it is best to know that the interview may vary wildly. For instance, my interview was well over 2 hours and featured sections of more casual talk along with more intense, directed questions about my project, various parts of my application, and my views of the field. For instance, questions about my proposed project included how do I see my topic expanding or contracting spatially and temporally, how important are certain elements to my project and how do I plan to enact them, what other directions can I go in with the topic, etc. During the interview, my answers were noted down for review. Someone I know who once had a Yale interview mentioned that theirs was an hour, and was fairly relaxed but was also asked fairly similar questions, though the POI did not take notes. Those interviewed for Near Eastern Studies said theirs were 30 minutes in length, so it seems to be up to the POI how they wish to conduct the interview and for what length of time. 

6 hours ago, TsarandProphet said:

4 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

This was kind of my experience (I also got invited to a Yale interview last weekend). It was about 50 minutes long and I was asked about my project (where I see it going, how I got interested in it), my interest in history, and about language training, but the questions were mostly fairly casual. 

Thanks all of you for sharing your expereinces. Would you be able to say whether your interviews were conducted over the phone, in person, via Skype, or some other medium? And was it only your POI you spoke to or several professors in the department?

2 minutes ago, dauery said:

Thanks all of you for sharing your expereinces. Would you be able to say whether your interviews were conducted over the phone, in person, via Skype, or some other medium? And was it only your POI you spoke to or several professors in the department?

For me, it was just my POI. I have heard that other schools do it with several professors or often surprise you with additional faculty members, but I do not think Yale bothers to do this. As for your other question, mine was held via Skype, but the phone was also an option that was given in the event that the Skype connection was poor.

9 minutes ago, dauery said:

It was over Skype with just my POI.

My POI mentioned that he and his "colleagues" had read and liked my application, but like @daradara said in his post, I'm not sure whether he means just those professors in my sub-field or that the general committee had read my application before the interview. 

Edited by potsupotsu

6 hours ago, Ragu said:

North Carolina, particularly the Research Triangle where Duke and UNC are both located, is a wonderful place to live. @Karou I would check out the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill thread in the city guide section if you're interested in learning more about the area from afar. 

Seconded. I've lived in Durham and it's absolutely fantastic.

Edited by AfricanusCrowther

12 hours ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

Seconded. I've lived in Durham and it's absolutely fantastic.

Glad to hear it! 

Turns out I'll be able to see that for myself pretty soon, I've heeded the advice I've received here, and have decided to go to the prospective students' event!

Hi all! This waiting period is an absolute nightmare so I had to share my good news.  I got my first acceptance today from UVA through an email from their DGS with my prospective advisors CC’ed! Honestly, I’m relieved and thrilled.

1 hour ago, historygeek said:

Still radio silence from all of my schools so far. ? I'm feeling pretty discouraged

Don't be. Most of the programs you've applied to won't inform you until mid-February. Ivies can afford to take longer, so they often do. I realize it's somewhat nerve-wracking, but that's just the way it is.

Try to distract yourself with another hobby or work.

Edited by psstein

14 minutes ago, psstein said:

Don't be. Most of the programs you've applied to won't inform you until mid-February. Ivies can afford to take longer, so they often do. I realize it's somewhat nerve-wracking, but that's just the way it is.

Try to distract yourself with another hobby or work.

After posting, I went through the results page and wrote down the average range for the places I applied, most of which are the first full week to the second week of February. 

Hopefully (and probably, with how my syllabus for my thesis is looking), I'll be knee-deep in demographic research in the mean time.

39 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Still radio silence from all of my schools so far. ? I'm feeling pretty discouraged

Try as hard as you can to focus the here and now by making a strong finish. Your senior thesis, your knowledge development through study and reading, your relationships with your professors, your GPA.

The resiliency you develop now will serve you well when you're a graduate student.

43 minutes ago, historygeek said:

After posting, I went through the results page and wrote down the average range for the places I applied, most of which are the first full week to the second week of February. 

Hopefully (and probably, with how my syllabus for my thesis is looking), I'll be knee-deep in demographic research in the mean time.

Same boat here - I probably won't hear back until the first or second week of Feb. It is nerve wracking.

But, I did get some uplifting news...I received a really out of the blue encouraging email from a POI I actually never contacted. It was pretty long, basically saying how they were very impressed by my application and are very "enthusiastic" about it, some really nice things about my potential to be a historian, and finally that I should consider the school very seriously. I also received two similar but shorter emails from two other schools. Good news, I hope?

35 minutes ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

Good news, I hope?

Yes, maybe not in the way you most want it to be right now, but definitely in the way you will need it down the line.

I'll remind everyone-- in addition to keeping focus with hobbies and work-- be sure to explore other possibilities if graduate school does not work out.  Find something  you're excited about too. Searching for jobs does take time so it doesn't hurt to start now-- you can always turn down the job later if offered. I am speaking from experience:

2010: Graduated with my MA in hand, jobless and no PhD acceptances, sadly wondered why I got my MA at all, then spent whole summer in my parents' home looking for jobs, and finally decided to run away to Berlin to study German.

2011: Finished German classes. Devastated with only one unfunded PhD acceptance and never got out of bed before 1 PM every single day for 6 weeks or so. Spent the summer as a camp counselor and looked for jobs.  Ended up with an internship at a museum (at least it was paid and I liked the people). My depression relapsed after 6-7 hiatus.

2012: Before decisions came, I proactively started inquiring about jobs at my internship place and felt a bit more positive. Then I received funded PhD acceptances. I expressed gratitude to my work colleagues for being willing to discuss job possibilities while I wasn't sure what was going to happen to me and they encouraged me to take the PhD.

Even as I applied for fellowships to support my dissertation, I had to bounce back very quickly to keep things rolling with my progress and maintain my own mental health.  As @Sigaba point out, dealing with the wait and the decisions is all part of building resiliency necessary to succeed in academia.