Applications 2019

Sigaba

15 hours ago, villageelliot said:

Based on the fact that several Art History acceptances were just posted, and that last year acceptances didn't come out until 2/5, I'm guessing that the one history PhD post on the results page was actually for Art History and the poster just didn't specify. I could be wrong, but I think it's a fair assumption.

There's actually two posts about NYU History -- but @OHSP said they send them out by advisor, so all it means is that it's started -- we won't know when it's finished. Also, tomorrow is February?! I feel like we've all earned a pint. If it does actually come. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day, but it's really Groundhog Month; I swear I've lived through Jan 25th twice this year.

57 minutes ago, elx said:

Also, tomorrow is February?! I feel like we've all earned a pint. If it does actually come. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day, but it's really Groundhog Month; I swear I've lived through Jan 25th twice this year.

I feel the same way! Weekends feel much, MUCH longer than they have any right to and I find myself irrationally annoyed on Friday evenings, knowing it will be another couple of days of radio silence. A pint might be a good distraction. :)

4 hours ago, elx said:

There's actually two posts about NYU History -- but @OHSP said they send them out by advisor, so all it means is that it's started -- we won't know when it's finished. Also, tomorrow is February?! I feel like we've all earned a pint. If it does actually come. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day, but it's really Groundhog Month; I swear I've lived through Jan 25th twice this year.

Fortunately the NYU website mentions that they do two rounds of offers. Not sure if they mean they always do it or that it's just possible for them to do it, but regardless it should be enough to give some hope if you don't hear back right away!

Also as far as I see there's only one NYU History PhD acceptance, the other was an interview.

Edited by villageelliot

Hi all--first ever post here. I have been lurking this thread for the last month, and I saw lots of interest in Harvard. So, I thought I would let you know I have just received an email from the graduate director informing me he must "be circumspect with the language" he uses, and that the admissions process is not "ENTIRELY over", and that the "final decision on your application will be made in collaboration with the GSAS", but that the "history department has recommended to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences that you be admitted to our PhD program."

Edited by Coniferous

17 minutes ago, Coniferous said:

Hi all--first ever post here. I have been lurking this thread for the last month, and I saw lots of interest in Harvard. So, I thought I would let you know I have just received an email from the graduate director informing me he must "be circumspect with the language" he uses, and that the admissions process is not "ENTIRELY over", and that the "final decision on your application will be made in collaboration with the GSAS", but that the "history department has recommended to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences that you be admitted to our PhD program."

Congratulations! What that means is, unless you're a violent felon or lied on the application, you're accepted.

Oh, I'm so happy for all of you getting decisions these last few days! Congrats on the Northwestern acceptances, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll hear from them one way or another. Of course, looking at Chicago and Madison these last few days has me (and my husband, perhaps especially so) wondering what on earth I might have signed myself up for. ?

It's hard to believe it's February already. I wish I just fast forward through the next few weeks. We're almost there!

28 minutes ago, Balleu said:

Oh, I'm so happy for all of you getting decisions these last few days! Congrats on the Northwestern acceptances, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll hear from them one way or another. Of course, looking at Chicago and Madison these last few days has me (and my husband, perhaps especially so) wondering what on earth I might have signed myself up for. ?

The decisions will probably go out next week. The committee meets on the 4th.

Just now, psstein said:

The decisions will probably go out next week. The committee meets on the 4th.

Thank you!! So helpful to know.

1 hour ago, historygeek said:

Congrats to everyone who got their acceptances! 

Still radio silence for me, but hopefully next week brings some news (preferably good)! 

Thread originator back from the dead, mostly to say that it's the first week of the semester here at NYU so I'm willing to bet most advisers either sent out acceptances already or are still busy with beginning-of-the-semester stuff. Prof Diner especially (who I seem to remember you wanted to work with?) has been busy lately, I wouldn't sweat it.

2 hours ago, Coniferous said:

I got same from Harvard and was told by my potential adviser that only once in the history of the history department has the GSAS not admitted someone recommended for admission so...congrats!

Edited by hbhowe

5 minutes ago, hbhowe said:

Thread originator back from the dead, mostly to say that it's the first week of the semester here at NYU so I'm willing to bet most advisers either sent out acceptances already or are still busy with beginning-of-the-semester stuff. Prof Diner especially (who I seem to remember you wanted to work with?) has been busy lately, I wouldn't sweat it.

That makes me feel slightly better! Congrats on Harvard!

1 minute ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

Okay, as I have read the above post, I am excited to announce that I have also received that email and I'm assuming that I have been accepted to Harvard!!

Congrats!!

And to everyone else too who's received the Good News today!! I've noticed Thursdays are especially popular for results, but I'm with you @historygeek with the radio silence. Hope you get some admits very soon!

1 minute ago, ikeabookshelf said:

What do folks think — if I still haven't gotten a decision one way or the other from Northwestern after the flood of decisions this morning, is it kosher to call them today?

To be fair, you still have ~3 hours until it's 5pm CST, so there might be hope yet.

29 minutes ago, hbhowe said:

Thread originator back from the dead, mostly to say that it's the first week of the semester here at NYU so I'm willing to bet most advisers either sent out acceptances already or are still busy with beginning-of-the-semester stuff.

Those are the only two options, aren’t they? Either the decisions are out or they aren’t...

Congrats to all admitted.