Applications 2019

Sigaba

20 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

I know I just said the opposite thing, but I would be VERY surprised if Brown announced to anyone this early.

Should we expect Brown to send out all decisions at once, or in a couple of rounds?

Edited by MARTINt

Yes, looking forward to good news over the next few weeks. And knowing that all of us are in the midst of the same waiting game does make it easier!

Got a follow up email this morning from another Northwestern POI with additional context.  There was some concern on the committee that I might not have sufficient faculty support because of faculty who will be/might be on leave. It's a good reminder that there are more factors in play than just who else accepts their offer. 

3 hours ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

I'm still in utter shock from my big surprise yesterday. Here is hoping everyone hears back from one of the places of their choosing!

I'd also like to add just this: I'm a community college graduate, grew up in a union working-class household, and attended a commuter state school that isn't at all prestigious. I worked incredibly hard but I also know that this was partially a numbers game. But to anyone who feels like places like Harvard are out of reach simply because you don't fit the traditional applicants "mold," screw that. Write a good application and hope for the best. Academia is in tough shape but that doesn't mean working-class people and those from non-traditional backgrounds don't have a place there - it is the opposite. 

Aaah, I love this so much, and can absolutely relate. Big congrats to you @urbanhistorynerd!! And to you @historygeek!!

@Balleu I really hope it works out for you!

Good luck everyone, we'll know where we stand fairly soon, one way or another.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

I know I just said the opposite thing, but I would be VERY surprised if Brown announced to anyone this early.

I would love to trust your judgement on this, but there now appears to be a second acceptance to Brown posted on the results page. Not too sure what to think, and whether I should assume I've been rejected. Do you know if Brown usually sends out all admits at the same time @telkanuru?

Edited by Karou

8 minutes ago, Karou said:

I would love to trust your judgement on this, but there now appears to be a second acceptance to Brown posted on the results page. Not too sure what to think, and whether I should assume I've been rejected. Do you know if Brown usually sends out all admits at the same time @telkanuru?

They do send them out all at once, but I did some checking and it turns out that the committee actually got its act in gear and at least we know who the admits are (IDK about letters, but the usual practice here is not to have POIs email early), which is about a week earlier than usual.

I am very surprised!

1 minute ago, telkanuru said:

They do send them out all at once, but I did some checking and it turns out that the committee actually got its act in gear and at least we know who the admits are (IDK about letters, but the usual practice here is not to have POIs email early), which is about a week earlier than usual.

I am very surprised!

Thank you! I guess I can assume I didn't make the cut then, but it's helpful just knowing. Waiting and wondering is way worse.

Just now, MARTINt said:

@telkanuru So can we assume that by now, all admits were contacted and notified of their acceptance? 

No, sorry! Just that I know that at least the graduate students in charge of visiting students have been told, not that the school has sent anything out.

1 hour ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Probably a dumb question, but when you receive an offer from a uni, how do you know if funding is offered too? I know it differs, but do you normally find out at the same time?

That really depends on the program. Were you admitted to one with no mention of funding? 

9 minutes ago, luz.colorada said:

That really depends on the program. Were you admitted to one with no mention of funding? 

I'm wondering the same thing. I was accepted and told I'd hear more about the program and other things soon. I hope the other things include funding. 

16 minutes ago, latecalifornia said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I was accepted and told I'd hear more about the program and other things soon. I hope the other things include funding. 

I wouldn't worry until you get the "other things." I'm not an expert per say, but a close friend of mine was accepted to 3 programs last year and I just received two acceptances myself. The first one mentioned the first year of funding and said I'd learn more later, and the second one didn't mention funding for a week. My friend had a similar experience. Some schools just said "we will fund you for 5 years" but didn't say what that would look like for a few weeks. 

4 hours ago, Dark Paladin said:

What does everyone think about post-interview etiquette? I have an interview coming up, should I send thank you emails afterward?  

Just write a short thank you e-mail and that you look forward to hearing the decision. Keep it short and simple but delightful.

4 hours ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Probably a dumb question, but when you receive an offer from a uni, how do you know if funding is offered too? I know it differs, but do you normally find out at the same time?

There should already be mention of funding on the websites.  If it's mentioned on the website, assume you will get funding (unless it's on a competitive basis).  Programs with guaranteed funding package will mention it in their letters.  Programs without guarantee funding packages-- it's worth responding and inquiring about funding possibilities.

@historygeek, I don't know what exactly you mean.  For PhD programs, sometimes decisions go out by fields, sometimes alphabetically.  If the Graduate School is sending decisions, I'm sure it's alphabetically since it's all bureaucratic.