On 1/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, 43pennsylvanian said:

I also had the same experience with Austin. The conversation was quite informal but my profs said it's a new thing that Phd programs are doing now.  

And the same with UC-Irvine the other day. My interview was only about 20-30 minutes. I guess today we have to "win" the interview by implying our interests through the questions. 

On the other hand, I'm international student, so most of the time my interviews were just about to test if my English is comprehensible LOL. 

Did they put you in contact with other professors in the program? 

11 hours ago, CaliAcademic said:

Congrats! Did you have an informal interview with them beforehand? 

Nope. I had already written it off as a rejection because I saw someone else got an interview. But I got an email from J.D. Connor yesterday explaining the reasoning behind accepting me to the MA instead of the PhD. Full funding, but not a lot for LA.

31 minutes ago, MightAsWell said:

Did they put you in contact with other professors in the program? 

No, it was one person who interviewed every candidates. 

The person from UT-Austin said they can put me in contact with other professors if I have any other questions, but it was mentioned briefly in the email so I did not follow up with that.

9 minutes ago, Puurple said:

As I said not long ago, I'm still eager on UW-Madison. Some people have posted results over the past few days. I have not heard anything yet nor is my portal changed. Is this an implied rejection? 

I'm in the same boat; still no answers from Madison on my end. I've heard talk that they sometimes send out their acceptances/waitlists/rejections in waves, but I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

Did anyone apply to the University of South Carolina? Last year they sent out decisions on January 23rd so I'm getting anxious... I've considered calling but since it's still relatively early I'm not sure if that would be jumping the gun. 

3 minutes ago, karamazov said:

Did anyone apply to the University of South Carolina? Last year they sent out decisions on January 23rd so I'm getting anxious... I've considered calling but since it's still relatively early I'm not sure if that would be jumping the gun. 

I didn't apply there, but I applied to a few other that sent out earlier notifications last year (I'm looking at you Purdue and Carnegie Mellon) that have yet to sent anything out yet, to my knowledge. I'm trying to hold off on calling, but honestly, if it is going to cause you stress, the worst thing they can say is that applications are still under review. I wouldn't think that a program would throw anyone out of their app pool over a phone call. That being said, this is my first application cycle, so maybe others have a different opinion. 

15 hours ago, WallaceShawn said:

Accepted to USC's Cinema MA tonight after getting the Duke English rejection this morning. That softens the blow a bit.

A big congrats! It's always good that they do accept for MA thing for PhD application. And it's full funding for MA which is rare in most of the film programs.

14 hours ago, Shkshk said:

Congratulations!! I have been waiting for news from the USC Cinema MA program as well and no news.....guess that means I’m rejected :( Best of luck to everyone else!

They normally do late Jan and early Feb for MA acceptance and waitlist, so I would say you can give it a couple of days.

All this helplessness/hopelessness is sending me on some really bizarre and agonising existential trips, man! I mean, is this all that there is to my life? Is there any other way really? Why can’t we afford to not succeed? To not make it? 
I mean I obviously know that these acceptances/rejections are no reflection of who I am etc., but boy are they painful! 
There needs to be a sustained debate on these now global attacks on higher education. Why should the kids even take this up as a career if there’s no light at the end of the damn tunnel! 
wow! this can actually be a good place to vent. 

I'm waiting to hear from UT Austin (English), in addition to two other non-English programs this week, and am in agony. We have to all make sure we are practicing self care!! I asked my friend who is now in an English program how her wait was, and she said that she had to go therapy because it messed with her mind and body so much. So take this time to really care for yourself, because stress manifests in unexpected ways. Also, this friend of mine got rejected the first time, and accepted to a few schools her second round, so maintain hope :) 

Also, Berkeley's grad admin person told me that they should be sending results out next week, which is a week earlier than they did last year I think. He told me this after telling me that it was okay that I didn't submit a subject test score....ughhhh don't know what it means and my analytic abilities are flailing. But alas, time IS moving whether we feel it or not.

Edited by inchoate-eyes

Have just worked out that I should hear from 10 of my 14 programs in the first and second weeks of February. Oof – those are bound to be a turbulent two weeks! On the bright side, the knowledge that so much will be happening so soon makes it much easier to relax my mind, stop checking my email, and accept that I won't hear anything this week.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

Me: UT Austin is going to email when they post to the application status page. I don't have an email, so there isn't a decision. Relax, they'll most likely send something this week, but it might be early next week before I hear anything. 

Also me: *refreshes Grad Cafe results page to see if anyone else has UT Austin results, logs into status portal 5 times throughout an 8 hour workday*

Just had a missed call from an Illinois area code and even though the name of the caller (according to White Pages) is just that of a random guy (not one of my POIs or any kind of university employee, as far as I can tell), I'm suddenly obsessed with the idea that he works for Northwestern in some capacity and was calling about my app. But if that were true he'd have left a message, right? Agh!

3 minutes ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

Just had a missed call from an Illinois area code and even though the name of the caller (according to White Pages) is just that of a random guy (not one of my POIs or any kind of university employee, as far as I can tell), I'm suddenly obsessed with the idea that he works for Northwestern in some capacity and was calling about my app. But if that were true he'd have left a message, right? Agh!

you should definitely call back! even if it's not an admissions person, it's still a nice thing to do because you never know who's calling. idk!

57 minutes ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

The caller totally would have left a message if it was business. Also, usually universities will buy up all of the phone numbers that begin with the same area code and first three or four digits, so that internally, you only have to remember 3-4 digits per number. With a quick Google, it appears that for Northwestern, all of the campus phone numbers are in the format (847) 491-xxxx or (847) 467-xxxx. Unless it's a Northwestern office number, since they didn't leave a message to identify who's calling, I'd assume it's just spam. 

(But I'm someone who hasn't answered a call from an unknown number that I wasn't expecting since like 2014, so. I guess I'm why telephone polls can't get a full sample for millennial voters, lol.) 

On 1/26/2020 at 2:28 PM, onerepublic96 said:

Does Irvine always interview?? I’ve had radio silence from them... ?

@onerepublic96 Late response to this but I emailed the head of graduate studies for UCI's literature PhD earlier this week about this same question and she said, "We typically do very informal interviews with the students we are likely to be admitting in the first half of February". 

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

So just as a warning, I fell for this during my MFA season: a spam caller called from a Boulder area code on the day Boulder was notifying. It was quite terrible lol.

Just for the sake of your heart, I would assume it isn't them. However, it doesn't hurt to call back!

I had to go to class before I could decide whether to call back, and now with some distance it seems funny that I thought a random guy might be Northwestern. I'm sure the poor innocent man who mis-dialed my number doesn't need to hear my application-induced ravings, so I'm going to assume (as I do with most phone calls) that if it was important he would have left a message. Besides, Northwestern probably won't notify for at least another week (*tears hair and gnashes teeth*).