21 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Same. I'm kind of concerned about the person who submitted 22 applications. I need to know how they accomplished that? I did 9, and I was wiped. 

At the start of the cycle, an anxious and mildly naive me decided 15 would be a good number. By the last 2 applications, I was so drained, I felt like I was dying. 22 sounds insane to me, but major kudos to the person who pulled it off. 

Finally had my first acceptance dream of the cycle. I dreamed that I'd been admitted to UVA, but funded at $11,000/year (an amount that would lead me to seriously question if I could afford to take it at all, and well below their actual funding). Even with the funding thing, it was very disappointing to wake up and realize I'd imagined it, I didn't have any results back... and that today is the first day when I might reasonably expect schools to start getting back to me, so I know I'm going to be sitting and hitting refresh on my email all day. 

18 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Finally had my first acceptance dream of the cycle. I dreamed that I'd been admitted to UVA, but funded at $11,000/year (an amount that would lead me to seriously question if I could afford to take it at all, and well below their actual funding). Even with the funding thing, it was very disappointing to wake up and realize I'd imagined it, I didn't have any results back... and that today is the first day when I might reasonably expect schools to start getting back to me, so I know I'm going to be sitting and hitting refresh on my email all day. 

This  dream is just... lol. The epitome of mixed feelings! And it reminds me that even if acceptances roll in, there are so many other things to consider, like cost of living and funding packages and fit... what a rollercoaster we're on. 

Just jumping on the rejection train: got my first decision of the cycle last Wednesday, which was a kind but firm "no" to my application for a Fulbright to do an interdiscplinary MA in gender and sexuality studies at the University of Manchester. It was a long shot, so I'm trying not to be crushed and reminding myself that the Fulbright app and English PhD apps are apples and oranges, and I haven't had any PhD decisions yet (which is agony!)

Also did anyone else apply to Berkeley and forget to turn in a subject test score? Lolz.... Thankfully I am not disqualified. I guess it's a good sign that they took the time to reach out and ask? Or am I trying to find a light at the end of a tunnel that is really just pitch black dark? 

1 hour ago, inchoate-eyes said:

This is the SLOWEST MONDAY OF ALL TIME.

I feel. With one rejection under my belt and unlikely to hear back from anywhere else until next week, the rest of this week is going to be agonizingly slow for me. 

I just realized that I took a few courses at a community college during high school, and transferred them to the university I got my BA from. Nothing major, just English 101 and some math and science classes. But now I'm wondering if my not reporting this (or sending any transcripts) is going to doom my application.

I don't think it will--it seems more likely that my brain is looking for a reasonably plausible hook to hang my panic on--but has anyone else made this mistake? Any advice or thoughts?

On 1/27/2020 at 1:47 PM, digital_lime said:

I just realized that I took a few courses at a community college during high school, and transferred them to the university I got my BA from. Nothing major, just English 101 and some math and science classes. But now I'm wondering if my not reporting this (or sending any transcripts) is going to doom my application.

I don't think it will--it seems more likely that my brain is looking for a reasonably plausible hook to hang my panic on--but has anyone else made this mistake? Any advice or thoughts?

It ought to be fine, because if you transferred the credits, they're presumably reported on your BA transcript. I'd imagine they would ask you about it if it was a problem. But you can always email the grad coordinator to check what the policy is, and if that would set your mind more at ease, it's probably worth it.

For anyone who received a Duke rejection today and is feeling a bit tender, a mentor texted me asking if I'd heard from anywhere yet and I said "No; Duke English rejections went out today and even though I didn't apply I'm still taking it personally lol" and he replied w/"Duke still has an English department?"

Edited by meghan_sparkle

1 hour ago, WallaceShawn said:

Accepted to USC's Cinema MA tonight after getting the Duke English rejection this morning. That softens the blow a bit.

Congratulations!! I have been waiting for news from the USC Cinema MA program as well and no news.....guess that means I’m rejected :( Best of luck to everyone else!

Long time listener, first time caller--applied to 9 English PhD programs & an additional 2 MA programs. Interested in Shakespeare and early modern/Renaissance drama, critical race theory, whiteness, and poetics. Feeling like I probably aimed too high. Wish I would've applied to more schools. Can't stop checking my email despite the fact that I know I won't hear from any of my schools until closer to valentines day! Praying to sweet baby jesus that I never have to go through this process again.