7 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Did the POI seem sure about that decision release date, out of curiosity? It's Wednesday (though only 11 am in Chicago) and I've been refreshing madly all day... 

hiya i have jst been lurking mostly bt have jst opened the floodgates by replying elsewhere so figured i'd say smthing here too... basically i think the stitch is that we will have heard for sure by like 5 on friday—was also told "a week" so am taking that as a general vibe, reckon things will drop maybe tomorrow bt for sure by friday by the end of the day xo

1 hour ago, vondafkossum said:

Here’s a question: for those of you who applied to UW-Madison, did you apply as PHD or MA? I might have made a pretty awful error in submitting my application, and I’m hoping it hasn’t sunk me (because I *still* haven’t heard anything from them). I went hunting for some information, and in their FAQ I noticed a question I didn’t read the answer to previously: 

“Applicants to the Graduate Program in Literary Studies should choose the “English MA” option. You will be given the opportunity to indicate your intent to pursue the PhD in a subsequent question... Applicants to the Composition and Rhetoric and the English Language and Linguistics program should indicate the English PhD.”

So, oops? I’m kicking myself right now. 

I applied as PhD because I have an MA and didn't think anything of it... 

I was rejected, but surely it couldn't just be because of that right?

Quick question in case I can possibly assuage my misery--I am 85% positive that I uploaded an inaccurate CV to some of my applications. If this was the case, the CV that I sent was only missing some key details: my honors thesis/advisor info (included in SOP and one of my LOR writers was said thesis advisor), 1 publication (non-academic, but socially & politically relevant), and possibly the research internship I've held with a NYT bestselling author/prof at my undergrad institution, which I've held for two years. The rest of my application is very strong. Should I bother trying to contact DGS at these schools to inquire after a possible replacement? Or let it ride? I might just be driving myself insane????

Has anyone contacted the UT Austin English graduate coordinator about the notification date yet? (It seems like my portal has changed from something like "under review" to "Forwarded to graduate committee for review," with instructions to follow up with the coordinator about decision date questions.)

31 minutes ago, poetryislit said:

Has anyone contacted the UT Austin English graduate coordinator about the notification date yet? (It seems like my portal has changed from something like "under review" to "Forwarded to graduate committee for review," with instructions to follow up with the coordinator about decision date questions.)

I was tempted to call today, but then decided not to because although last year's result day was Jan 28, the year before was around Feb 1. My application still says "in review". Not sure what your status change means but it might be a good sign for you!

40 minutes ago, MichelleObama said:

Quick question in case I can possibly assuage my misery--I am 85% positive that I uploaded an inaccurate CV to some of my applications. If this was the case, the CV that I sent was only missing some key details: my honors thesis/advisor info (included in SOP and one of my LOR writers was said thesis advisor), 1 publication (non-academic, but socially & politically relevant), and possibly the research internship I've held with a NYT bestselling author/prof at my undergrad institution, which I've held for two years. The rest of my application is very strong. Should I bother trying to contact DGS at these schools to inquire after a possible replacement? Or let it ride? I might just be driving myself insane????

From what I’ve heard from people (who know people on adcomms) it seems like reviews are pretty far underway most places. If it will alleviate your anxiety, send it along - it definitely can’t hurt. But it sounds like you have a really strong application either way and you don’t need to stress!!

3 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

Here’s a question: for those of you who applied to UW-Madison, did you apply as PHD or MA? I might have made a pretty awful error in submitting my application, and I’m hoping it hasn’t sunk me (because I *still* haven’t heard anything from them). I went hunting for some information, and in their FAQ I noticed a question I didn’t read the answer to previously: 

“Applicants to the Graduate Program in Literary Studies should choose the “English MA” option. You will be given the opportunity to indicate your intent to pursue the PhD in a subsequent question... Applicants to the Composition and Rhetoric and the English Language and Linguistics program should indicate the English PhD.”

So, oops? I’m kicking myself right now. 

I am in a similar situation. I applied for the "English MA" choice. It seems like there are a few of us here that are awaiting a response. I don't know if there is an unofficial WL, because I was neither rejected nor accepted when the results first came, but, I am preparing for the former until I get proof of the latter.

1 hour ago, Puurple said:

I am in a similar situation. I applied for the "English MA" choice. It seems like there are a few of us here that are awaiting a response. I don't know if there is an unofficial WL, because I was neither rejected nor accepted when the results first came, but, I am preparing for the former until I get proof of the latter.

I’m also assuming it’s a rejection until I see something else. But I see acceptances, rejections, and waitlists on the results board, so I just have no idea?

4 hours ago, Puurple said:

2 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

I’m also assuming it’s a rejection until I see something else. But I see acceptances, rejections, and waitlists on the results board, so I just have no idea?

I haven't heard a peep from UW-Madison either, but preparing myself for a rejection. The waitlisted candidates seem to have been informed already, plus the status of my application on their portal still reads 'submitted'.

16 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Did the POI seem sure about that decision release date, out of curiosity? It's Wednesday (though only 11 am in Chicago) and I've been refreshing madly all day... 

Sorry for the confusion – my partner asked during his interview on Wednesday 1/22 what the timeline for decisions would look like and his POI said they would be sending out decisions "in a week." Since your POI told you it would be a few weeks and since Chicago sent out decisions around 2/6–2/7 last year, I've been assuming that the information given to my partner was not correct (POI is probably not on adcom, I guess) and that decisions will be out in the first week of February.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

Had my second video interview yesterday and it went so, so much better than the first! I feel really good about it and I'm glad I spent more time preparing and correcting for mistakes I made during the first interview. At the same time, though, the positive experience this time around really hit home how bad the first interview was. The faculty I talked with at this program were so much friendlier and more excited about my application. Ah, well – here we are.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

14 hours ago, MichelleObama said:

I sent the wrong writing sample to Stanford and they replaced it for me a couple weeks after the deadline. I think that many schools are deciding as we speak, and they may have already made a decision about you, but I don't think it hurts to contact the DGS/admin. Stanford was very kind about it; they just told me they couldn't ensure that the correct one would be read, since applications were already under review.

Edited by merry night wanderer

14 hours ago, poetryislit said:

If you do end up calling it would be great if you could post what the coordinator ends up saying about a decision date! 

18 minutes ago, thetruewalkingwoman said:

Guys...I don’t know whether to feel hopeful or completely disheartened. I received the waitlist email for Minnesota. I know this means I’m not totally out of the running but I sort of feel my self-worth draining. Do I even bother to hold on to hope?

I'd say if anything you should look at this early notification of being on a waitlist for a really strong program in positive terms. I know it's hard to just change the way you feel about things (especially when right now information has been coming out so slow) but if it helps I think that by being on the waitlist you can at least know that your application is going to be taken seriously and that it is competitive within your sphere of research interests. There were a couple of folks from last application cycle who literally got into one place and had it turn out to be their dream school while also getting rejected from what they thought were safer schools as well. I hope that you start getting better news in the coming weeks but I wouldn't count yourself out quite this early.

1 hour ago, inchoate-eyes said:

Hi! I reached out to the graduate coordinator and got the following: 

The Admissions Committee is deep in deliberation and review of all applications at this present time. While there is no specific date for final results, we do hope to have decisions made within the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping that's a good thing rather than bad! Does anyone know whether or not Austin typically has interviews? I've seen a few people mention they've had informal phone conversations, and it's making me a bit nervous.

8 minutes ago, haleydanielle said:

Hi! I reached out to the graduate coordinator and got the following: 

The Admissions Committee is deep in deliberation and review of all applications at this present time. While there is no specific date for final results, we do hope to have decisions made within the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping that's a good thing rather than bad! Does anyone know whether or not Austin typically has interviews? I've seen a few people mention they've had informal phone conversations, and it's making me a bit nervous.

According to their website they do not do interviews! I feel like they received a ton of applications this year, and need a couple extra weeks to sort it all out. Thanks for reaching out to them!

Edited by inchoate-eyes

26 minutes ago, inchoate-eyes said:

According to their website they do not do interviews! I feel like they received a ton of applications this year, and need a couple extra weeks to sort it all out. Thanks for reaching out to them!

That's good to know. Thank you! 

5 hours ago, haleydanielle said:

lol rest in pieces my heart, u gotta deal with the high latent anxiety for "the next couple of weeks"

Thanks for letting us know what they said about timeline, @haleydanielle!

8 hours ago, thetruewalkingwoman said:

Guys...I don’t know whether to feel hopeful or completely disheartened. I received the waitlist email for Minnesota. I know this means I’m not totally out of the running but I sort of feel my self-worth draining. Do I even bother to hold on to hope?

Just checked my mail and found out that I have been waitlisted too. I would definitely take this as a positive turn since my first notice was Duke's rejection. Good luck to us all~

2 hours ago, caffeinated applicant said:

lol rest in pieces my heart, u gotta deal with the high latent anxiety for "the next couple of weeks"

I know! I wanted to respond "thanks, I guess...." Hopefully we'll hear something soon! 

hi, all!

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and this is my first time applying to PhD programs...and it is not going so well. I am starting to lose hope and I am struggling to come terms with the fact that it looks as though I am going to be shut out of all 16 schools that I applied to. I have received 4 rejection letters and I have another 6 implied rejections based upon what I have seen on the results board. I spent a year working on these applications, doing everything (that I thought) I could to make sure I chose the best schools with the best fit based upon my scholarly interests. I mostly applied to schools in the top 50 (based on US News) all over the country.

A little bit about me. I received my BA last spring. I have a 4.0 GPA, a litany of academic honors, I am proficient in French, I have great letters of recommendation, and I have excellent GRE scores. My thesis chair as well as many professors pushed me into applying to top schools: I had roughly ten professors (as well as many others) look at my SoP and my writing sample (my revised thesis) and after revisions, we were all very comfortable with how I was going to be presenting myself. But obviously, something is not clicking and I'm at a total loss. Except...

...here's the kicker, and here's what I can't get out of my head: I am 39. I turn 40 in June. Am I just too freakin' old to be applying to funded PhD programs?

Edited by trolloped