15 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

I emailed Columbia and Penn. No response from Columbia yet (I sent the email only a few minutes ago), but the staff member at Penn said that decisions will arrive by the end of this week. So close, but still so far away....

A staff member at Columbia said that decisions will continue to roll out this week and next week. She encouraged me to consult the DGS, James Adams, for details specific to my application.

2 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

Some rejections for Columbia have been sent out (I just got mine) so check your inboxes if you are still waiting

I’m really starting to get some false hope about Columbia. I wish it would just come already. Reading theory during my lunch break is providing only slight relief ?

Edited by Small potato

On 2/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, pilcrow said:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone specifically apply to programs with the intention of doing book history/textual studies and/or digital methods? Especially curious to see how the process has been going for those of you who positioned yourselves as possibly using DH methods for a dissertation.

I'm probably not who you're looking to speak to about this as I'm not a US applicant, but I did apply to Cambridge partly as they've got some book history expertise, as I'm using some distant reading methods. I also asked at my interview about database methods training for easier navigation of the corpus as it grows, though I'm teaching myself at the moment, and they said there are funds for that kind of skills training available though it'd likely be another application process for a small grant if it's a paid class. I'm accepted there pending funding (Cambridge's system is 30% chance of acceptance first, then 30% of those acceptances include some sort of funding offered at a later date). I graduated from an MA programme in the UK which is known here for being heavily DH focussed, though. I'd also be interested to hear from other book history people!

Also, if the Romantic Studies Cambridge PhD acceptance is lurking here, hi! I was accepted for Renaissance and I'm also waiting on the Trust and slowly convincing myself that emailing for updates would be totally reasonable, even though the decisions definitely won't be out until after the first week of March.

image.gif

Edited by Jetpacked

Oof, UNC, please just put me out of my misery. I'm trying to set myself seriously to the task of deciding between my two definite offers, but UNC is a program that would be a game-changer for me if I were waitlisted or accepted, so this radio silence is severely bummin' me out.

3 hours ago, AtlasFox said:

I'm quoting myself just to say that I was waitlisted at Oregon this morning! The email was very, very kind, and they emphasized that the waitlist is very short. Honestly I was not expecting this at all. 

I’m in at Oregon! Maybe our paths will cross soon. Best of luck, friend. :)

37 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

welp! nothing in my inbox from Penn–going to assume an implied rejection. which is fine ofc, fit was a stretch! but any rejection stings a little can't lie 

Same here. That pretty much puts an end to my cycle! I felt like I had a good fit there. Like Penn, GWU has some stellar women of color working on Shakespeare and the History of Race, but that program was more or less a back-up plan (in a world where there are no back-up plans, of course). At this point, I'm ready to go on these visits and begin developing my Imposter Syndrome Defense Starter Pack™. But first, more wine. ? 

Edited by MichelleObama

Wow this implied rejection feeling really ... sucks doesn't it.*

*Please please no one jump down my throat for saying this—I realize I'm incredibly lucky with the options I have; my only point is that as a feeling it manifests no matter the surrounding context and sucks no matter what!!

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Wow this implied rejection feeling really ... sucks doesn't it.*

*Please please no one jump down my throat for saying this—I realize I'm incredibly lucky with the options I have; my only point is that as a feeling it manifests no matter the surrounding context and sucks no matter what!!

Rejection always hurts, regardless of how many suitors you have! :)  I'm also in the implied rejection group and I'd be lying if I said it didn't sting a teensy little bit.

Okay took 1 hour but I'm over it!!!!!!! If I'm honest w/myself I would not have gone to Penn over Harvard, Yale, Columbia, or Princeton. I would've felt weird to have a totally successful season and tbh was already starting to feel bad taking up a spot at multiple places when I can only choose one in the end (a decision that'll be hard enough as is). Onwards and upwards!!

I just finished reading the forum "Is attending a lower-ranked program worth it?" and now I feel sick.

I honestly don't know if I could do this a third time... 

Tufts has a consortium with BU, Brandeis, and MIT. Surely that has to count for something? That I could have the opportunity to forge relationships with people in my field outside of my home program? 

Someone tell me it's going to be alright...

Just now, gooniesneversaydie said:

I just finished reading the forum "Is attending a lower-ranked program worth it?" and now I feel sick.

Tufts has a consortium with BU, Brandeis, and MIT. Surely that has to count for something? That I could have the opportunity to forge relationships with people in my field outside of my home program? 

I know someone who is finishing up her dissertation at Tufts English and is generally happy* there. I don't think the job market is treating her well, but it's also worth remembering that the job market isn't treating anyone well. She also loves reading and writing in the snowy New England atmosphere. 

*One BIG caveat is that Tufts is notorious for its whiteness. They've failed to retain faculty of colour of the last few years (there is lots of press on this). That said, they're also trying to course correct and fix the problem. If it's relevant, there's a new interdisciplinary department on race/ethnicity/globalization that you could also avail of. 

9 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

.....should I read that? Is it going to plunge me into a panic?

6 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

It will be alright. 

No one can tell you whether you’ll get a TT position no matter where you go for your PhD. No one can tell you whether attending any program will be ‘worth it.’ 

But we can all tell you that if you’re here, you’re smart, you’re talented, you’re a great student, and no matter what you choose to do or what happens, it will definitely be alright. 

@Rani13 Thank you for the insider information. It's a shame to hear about the whiteness issue. It's an issue in Medieval Studies as well, but we keep fighting the good fight, so I hope Tufts is able to do so as well. 

@tinymica DO NOT! "Don't Open Dead Inside!" It made me have a minor freak-out, even though I'm aware of the issues we all face. 

@onerepublic96 Thank you, thank you, for your very kind words. Sometimes it's hard not to get lost in the fear that accompanies this space. It was hard to see some people so completely adamant that anything outside of a top 10-20 is a complete waste of time that will only result in regret.