9 hours ago, tinymica said:

Random but I'm excited for those of you who are visiting/considering UCR's program! I did my undergrad there and I had the best time. I can think of only one member of the English faculty that I disliked; nearly every professor I took a class with was fun, enthusiastic, and invested in their students' experience. I strongly considered applying to their program, but the DGS didn't want to recruit in-house and encouraged us to branch out, which was great advice! Anyway, I hope y'all have a nice time visiting!

Thank you! I’m so excited! I’ve been a big fan of their department for a while now. They seem to treat students really well, and I love that they did away with the GRE last year. I’m looking forward to visiting. 

5 minutes ago, Lblack said:

Who did you email? The only person I’ve had correspondence with is Susan Zieger, who came on last minute to serve as Director or Grad Admissions when Robb Hernandez left. 

I initially emailed the original contact person we were told on the application to contact (her name escapes me currently), but I sent a follow up email to Zieger as well. Neither have responded.

And my annoyance with the silent/invisible waitlist is not just specific to UCR. Perhaps I don't have context for the behind the scenes mechanics of it, but if someone were on a waitlist (and I am not laboring under this delusion/impression for myself), wouldn't it be better to notify them so that they may have additional planning time to consider your program versus not telling them? 

2 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

I initially emailed the original contact person we were told on the application to contact (her name escapes me currently), but I sent a follow up email to Zieger as well. Neither have responded.

And my annoyance with the silent/invisible waitlist is not just specific to UCR. Perhaps I don't have context for the behind the scenes mechanics of it, but if someone were on a waitlist (and I am not laboring under this delusion/impression for myself), wouldn't it be better to notify them so that they may have additional planning time to consider your program versus not telling them? 

Yeah, it doesn’t make much sense. I’m not sure what the benefit of waiting would be. I hope you hear from them soon! 

13 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

No word from Boston DGS yet!

I feel so close to a decision, and, I mean, at least we have a timeframe for UCSB, but god I can't imagine waiting until next week or even longer right now. 

I really hope this wait means that they'll at least release the rejections with the acceptances. Because having to wait after seeing acceptances on the board isn't going to be a cute look for me.

Not sure if anyone else is waiting on UCLA but I emailed the graduate coordinator there today (I had called this week and last week to no avail) so I'll let y'all know if I hear something pertinent to those who still haven't been contacted.

Email updates...

NYU DGS Robert Young responded to me but said notifications go through GSAS centrally and that they don’t notify students directly. Based on last year I guess we have to wait until mid-March for the official rejections. 

No response from Maryland DGS Gershun Avilez. 

Does anyone know what kinds of questions are appropriate to ask when you're on waitlist somewhere (in this case, UW)? I am a novice to this whole process and generally afraid of emailing people in general. I mostly want to know 1) size of waitlist 2) general timeline for the process, but I'm not sure the best way to frame these questions. 

54 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Email updates...

NYU DGS Robert Young responded to me but said notifications go through GSAS centrally and that they don’t notify students directly. Based on last year I guess we have to wait until mid-March for the official rejections. 

No response from Maryland DGS Gershun Avilez. 

You may have already mentioned already that you've checked the portal for Maryland today and I missed it, but FWIW, my portal updated 2/25 with a decision letter (rejection). No email notification, coordinator (Heather) never replied to my email asking for status update/timeline. 

59 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

Info on the board about BU sending out notifications late Feb to mid March. Good lord, out of the 9,000 of us who are apparently waiting, how many will get in?!

I was just thinking the same thing. I recall seeing that there are even multiple people (myself included) who would be saved from getting shut out of this round completely if they got in. 

Like many others, I don't even want to hope at this point, but the pleasant thought still lingers. 

On the other hand, I'm completely amused by the picture in my head of a horde of us, black circles around our eyes, peering expectantly into the windows of the building that the English department is housed in at BU 

7 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

You may have already mentioned already that you've checked the portal for Maryland today and I missed it, but FWIW, my portal updated 2/25 with a decision letter (rejection). No email notification, coordinator (Heather) never replied to my email asking for status update/timeline. 

Hah yes thank you!!!! This process is so dumb 

2 minutes ago, BetterLight13 said:

On the other hand, I'm completely amused by the picture in my head of a horde of us, black circles around our eyes, peering expectantly into the windows of the building that the English department is housed in at BU 

I love this. Nothing better than a group of desperate lit students stalking a department. Then the DGS spotting us and chasing us away with a broom. I've now officially started an inner monologue as Gollum. Every time I check my email or the portal, I get angrier: "We wants it!! We wants the precious! Gives it to us! Stupid fat hobbits's!"

4 hours ago, Lblack said:

Yeah, I wish they would announce the waitlist and send out rejections because it doesn’t look like they’ve done either. But, the person who was appointed as Director of Grad Admissions left unexpectedly so someone else had to take over, and I believe it’s her first time. So, that may be part of the reason. 

what are your research interests?

Oh I didn't know that. Makes me feel slightly better. And 21st c, specifically horror/thriller, and gender studies. So. Not the most conventional or marketable, which I recognize haha.

Re: Boston... 

anxiety is driving me up the wall so I tore through the results thread back to 2012 and found a bunch of these comments:

I had never heard anything like this about BU. Is it true? I have an external MA, too... would really hate to write this off as a likely rejection now... 

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 2.46.36 pm.png

9 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

anxiety is driving me up the wall so I tore through the results thread back to 2012 and found a bunch of these comments:

I had never heard anything like this about BU. Is it true? I have an external MA, too... would really hate to write this off as a likely rejection now... 

Woah! I've never heard anything like that (as if I would actually know anything). I've always assumed programs would prefer those with MAs because they wouldn't have to give out as much in funding and they would be better prepared to start teaching? My opinion would be not to read too much into it as 7-8 years is long enough that significant changes could've/would've been made to the program (unless some of those are more recent?). I still have hope for myself, for you, and for those who may be facing a shut out regardless of our backgrounds. 

Edited by gooniesneversaydie

I have an acceptance I'm happy about, but I also am really hoping to get off the UT-Austin waitlist. I want to email back and ask them about the waitlist, if it's ranked by field and if they can tell me where I am on it, etc.

The admissions email came from Grad Program Coordinator's email, but its signed by the Associate Chair/Graduate Advisor; so....do I respond to the email address it came from or to the person who signed it?

1 hour ago, onerepublic96 said:

I always wonder about this. I had a trusted advisor tell me once that they preferred candidates with MAs because they already  have graduate experience / a portfolio of sample work to demonstrate ability. 

But who knows. 

As @gooniesneversaydie said, too, these comments were almost a decade ago already. 

2 minutes ago, EffervescentMoon said:

Harvard rejections are up. I randomly checked the portal; no email. That’s the end of a shutout season for me. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you the very best of luck on whatever comes next.