52 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I’m not sure what’s going on tbh. I can only assume that other acceptances are just not on GC? But I don’t know if they’ve sent out all of them. Also, sorry for the confusion! I don’t even know how to post to the board lol.

I hope y’all find out news soon. I’m leaning towards BU right now (unexpectedly) so it would be very cool to see you in person (if there is indeed a visit scheduled)

Oof. The anxiety is really kicking in now.

I guess we’ll know for sure next week...

1 hour ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Yes, I should specify that in all cases I've had so far, it's the university's decision to 'strongly recommend' or require visits in various departments to be cancelled. Columbia and Berkeley DGS's emailed me yesterday morning saying "It's still on!" only to cancel within hours, and I get the sense that it was the university's call. Conferences may be slightly more independent and still have the ability to cancel or proceed at their discretion ... though who knows, honestly; this situation seems to be moving fast, with a big sea-change in the last 24 hours or so.

@meghan_sparkle same boat here! I was really looking forward to the Berkeley visit for Comp Lit. But got the email this afternoon that it was cancelled. Two visits in, leaving for a third tomorrow that is still on, and Berkeley was to be the fourth. I was hoping to get more info about the program's affordability of living in the area on the budget... 

On 3/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, Coleslaw said:

@meghan_sparkle same boat here! I was really looking forward to the Berkeley visit for Comp Lit. But got the email this afternoon that it was cancelled. Two visits in, leaving for a third tomorrow that is still on, and Berkeley was to be the fourth. I was hoping to get more info about the program's affordability of living in the area on the budget... 

yeah, same, even with a fellowship i'm pretty concerned it isn't enough money for the area and i'm concerned about the environment at UCs right now anyway, being a huge supporter of strikes and the need for a COLA myself.

just now got the official email cancelling princeton (i knew from the grad coordinator it was likely but held out a little hope). talked to a harvard professor an hour ago who said they'll probably close before the end of the week; same with columbia (going online) and princeton (telling students not to return after spring break) apparently. totally justified and the right call ofc but i think i haven't really processed how insane all of this is—when was the last time something even remotely like this happened? 

I also just received the Princeton email. I'm so sad. I'm choosing between Princeton and Yale, have already visited Yale (thank goodness their visit was scheduled before this madness!), and just have absolutely no idea how I'm going to make a decision now. It feels so lopsided to try to make a decision having visited one place and not the other. I was planning to also visit Princeton "unofficially" this week for a different event -- my boyfriend's presenting at a conference there -- but I'm assuming that, too, will be canceled.

I understand the need for precaution, especially for those in precarious health and financial situations, but . . . the timing. Sigh.

Also, yes, solidarity with the ongoing COLA strikes! When assembling my school list, I immediately ruled out the UCs due to the outrageous COL and meager funding.

59 minutes ago, tansy, rue, root, & seed said:

I also just received the Princeton email. I'm so sad. I'm choosing between Princeton and Yale, have already visited Yale (thank goodness their visit was scheduled before this madness!), and just have absolutely no idea how I'm going to make a decision now. It feels so lopsided to try to make a decision having visited one place and not the other. I was planning to also visit Princeton "unofficially" this week for a different event -- my boyfriend's presenting at a conference there -- but I'm assuming that, too, will be canceled.

I understand the need for precaution, especially for those in precarious health and financial situations, but . . . the timing. Sigh.

Also, yes, solidarity with the ongoing COLA strikes! When assembling my school list, I immediately ruled out the UCs due to the outrageous COL and meager funding.

I'm wondering if we'll see lopsided cohorts because of cancellations. If we do, it may affect next year's cycle if, for example, Chicago's cohort size increases from 9 to 18. 

Solidarity with anyone else trying to cancel their flights rn because their trips got cancelled because of Coronavirus but can't because that service isn't available online and the wait time to talk to a representative on the phone is 2-3 hours. I've already had the people at Expedia hang up on me 30 minutes into that wait for the first call and we are going in for round 2!!!

Just realising how seriously unbelievable all this is. I'm an international student and literally just landed back in my country just before the madness of cancellations began. I'm so thankful I got to visit my schools but I'm also wondering, does anyone else wonder if the US and the world will have a handle on the coronavirus by Aug/Sept in time for fall semester or will the world plunge into chaos and we will forever remain the cohort that didn't make it to matriculation?

2 hours ago, tansy, rue, root, & seed said:

I agree that these cancellations are....concerning with respect to the decision-making process. I hate to sound selfish/whiny because public health and safety is of supreme importance and so many people (the elderly, people with preexisting conditions) are at risk right now.... In the face of those issues it feels almost wrong to worry about school, but it’s also possible and necessary to worry about both things simultaneously. (This is me trying to be sensitive about this.)

Anyway, how is everyone dealing with decisions without being able to visit certain places? I’m conducting my online/virtual visit with UW today, for which I’m grateful, but haven’t heard anything from BU regarding visits.

PS: YES solidarity with COLA strikers!!! They’re being treated awfully and it’s one of the reasons I’ll be withdrawing from UC Davis’s waitlist.

5 minutes ago, WanYesOnly said:

Just realising how seriously unbelievable all this is. I'm an international student and literally just landed back in my country just before the madness of cancellations began. I'm so thankful I got to visit my schools but I'm also wondering, does anyone else wonder if the US and the world will have a handle on the coronavirus by Aug/Sept in time for fall semester or will the world plunge into chaos and we will forever remain the cohort that didn't make it to matriculation?

me currently

In response to mass cancellations/coronavirus a good friend of mine said "Surely they will just move the decision date to May 1st or 15th, depending on how the mass coronavirus outbreak affects universities?" Which sounds sensible but I don't think there's really a possibility of that, is there? I mean, people are in situations where they can't attend visits all the time (geography, inadequate reimbursement, a full-time job or studying) and it sounds like April 15 is a nationally binding deadline. (Then again: maybe programs that had to cancel their visits are already thinking it might really throw their yield, so would have an interest in collectively deciding with other programs to move the date? Maybe that's implausible but look this whole thing is implausible...)

Like @tansy, rue, root, & seed, I'm having a lot of trouble already weighing up a program I visited (Yale) with another couple that are top choices, but which I will not get to visit. It's just so difficult not to be swayed by known variables (what the area is like, feel of the department and current students, faculty telling you to your face that they want to work with you) vs trying to ascertain those variables at other programs through phone conversations and email chains, which even if they're lengthy just ... aren't the same. It's really hard not to just go with one I visited because it feels like both the best and safest option, but I also really don't want to regret that later!

I'm also concerned that faculty who would have otherwise set aside time to participate fully in visiting days are the very same people now scrambling to deal with a totally unprecedented situation w/r/t current students and teaching—figuring out how they'll teach their courses online or via Zoom rather than connecting with prospective PhD students. It'll slide much lower on the totem pole of priorities, surely? Ugh. 

Edited by meghan_sparkle

Not sure how I am supposed to make an informed decision when I have enlisted all of my brain cells to stave off the anxiety of decision-making in midst of this coronavirus hellscape.

Sending good vibes to all of you who potentially have to make decisions sight-unseen. I'd be a mess. Tomorrow is my first visit day and I'm wondering how many admitted students are going to/able to show. 

As if everyone didn't already have enough on their minds....ffs. 

2 hours ago, alphabet soup said:

Does anyone know if Penn State is done with sending out acceptances for their MA?

Penn State MA/PhD admit here: When I spoke to the assistant DGS, she made a point of saying they like to let admitted students know as early as possible to give them ample time to make a decision, which suggests to me that all first-round acceptances have gone out and now they’re just waiting to see who says yes and who says no before they dip into their (potentially secret?) waitlist. Sorry I don’t have more concrete information to share, but good luck!

On the subject of Penn State: I believe they’re on spring break this week, but I’m dreading the inevitable open house cancelation email come next Monday. Fortunately I live within easy driving distance of the school and could still probably swing a more informal visit, but I’m having a tough time deciding between Ohio State (which I’ve already visited) and Penn State, and am/was really hoping for PSU’s open house to be a clarifying experience. Alas...

(I know I’m fortunate to live within a visitable distance to my school—I’m so sorry to those of you who are dealing with canceled visits and travel dilemmas. Hopefully you can find some sort of substitute, like a virtual visit, to aid in making your decision, though of course that’s no substitute for an in-person, curated visit. Sending you all an abundance of good vibes!)

Edited by politics 'n prose

Hello, hello! I've been following this thread for awhile but finally jumping in to ask about University of Cincinnati's funding. I've landed myself on *6* waitlists (wtf) and UC's funding information is vague at best. Any insight on how their funding works for the PhD rhet/comp?

Just finished up the first day of the virtual UW visit... It was awesome talking with faculty and I'm glad to learn more about the program, but my potential cohort seemed very.....quiet and reserved. I'm not sure if it's just because of the virtual webcam format (which is very awkward), but people seemed reluctant to speak up. Not sure what to think about that.

2 minutes ago, tinymica said:

but my potential cohort seemed very.....quiet and reserved. I'm not sure if it's just because of the virtual webcam format (which is very awkward), but people seemed reluctant to speak up. Not sure what to think about that.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Being a potential student is sort of awkward as it is and especially in this scenario, so you probably didn't really have a chance to see their personalities. Plus, you don't even know which of them will end up matriculating. I would try to talk with current grad students (preferably out of earshot of faculty). Their personality/behavior/attitude will be much more telling.

11 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Being a potential student is sort of awkward as it is and especially in this scenario, so you probably didn't really have a chance to see their personalities. Plus, you don't even know which of them will end up matriculating. I would try to talk with current grad students (preferably out of earshot of faculty). Their personality/behavior/attitude will be much more telling.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Also, because the visit is virtual, there wasn't a time or way to get to know each other without any faculty or staff present. Thanks for giving me some context and I will definitely be consulting current grad students!

2 hours ago, politics 'n prose said:

Penn State MA/PhD admit here: When I spoke to the assistant DGS, she made a point of saying they like to let admitted students know as early as possible to give them ample time to make a decision, which suggests to me that all first-round acceptances have gone out and now they’re just waiting to see who says yes and who says no before they dip into their (potentially secret?) waitlist. Sorry I don’t have more concrete information to share, but good luck!

Thank you so much for the information and for the good luck!! I really hope i am on the hopefully potentially secret waitlist cuz i haven’t heard back from Penn State at all and have been rejected from everywhere else i applied to...

Anyone else still stuck in that awful almost/not quite shutout limbo? I’m still waiting on one school that has sent out a couple of acceptances but it’s all weird and unknown regarding whether this is it for them or if they’re still making decisions. I’m starting to write it off as a rejection in my mind but the uncertainty combined with the desperation to get in somewhere is driving me insane...

3 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

Anyone else still stuck in that awful almost/not quite shutout limbo? I’m still waiting on one school that has sent out a couple of acceptances but it’s all weird and unknown regarding whether this is it for them or if they’re still making decisions. I’m starting to write it off as a rejection in my mind but the uncertainty combined with the desperation to get in somewhere is driving me insane...

YUP. The fact that there’s still a tiny glimmer of hope is really messing me up honestly. It’s this weird thing where I genuinely know I won’t get in, but when I finally get the rejection I’ll still be shocked and devastated because until I hear back there’s still that 0.001% chance I could make the cut. 

It's been really rough and I shake my computer in a violent rage every night, but we're getting closer to the finish line. Hang in there! 

9 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

In response to mass cancellations/coronavirus a good friend of mine said "Surely they will just move the decision date to May 1st or 15th, depending on how the mass coronavirus outbreak affects universities?" Which sounds sensible but I don't think there's really a possibility of that, is there? I mean, people are in situations where they can't attend visits all the time (geography, inadequate reimbursement, a full-time job or studying) and it sounds like April 15 is a nationally binding deadline. (Then again: maybe programs that had to cancel their visits are already thinking it might really throw their yield, so would have an interest in collectively deciding with other programs to move the date? Maybe that's implausible but look this whole thing is implausible...)

Like @tansy, rue, root, & seed, I'm having a lot of trouble already weighing up a program I visited (Yale) with another couple that are top choices, but which I will not get to visit. It's just so difficult not to be swayed by known variables (what the area is like, feel of the department and current students, faculty telling you to your face that they want to work with you) vs trying to ascertain those variables at other programs through phone conversations and email chains, which even if they're lengthy just ... aren't the same. It's really hard not to just go with one I visited because it feels like both the best and safest option, but I also really don't want to regret that later!

I'm also concerned that faculty who would have otherwise set aside time to participate fully in visiting days are the very same people now scrambling to deal with a totally unprecedented situation w/r/t current students and teaching—figuring out how they'll teach their courses online or via Zoom rather than connecting with prospective PhD students. It'll slide much lower on the totem pole of priorities, surely? Ugh. 

UM WHAT IS YOUR SECRET TO ALL THOSE ADMITS?!