2020 application thread

Sigaba

Just now, Wingman4587 said:

Do you come across to know if KP recruits students this year? 

Not entirely sure -- not privy to the process myself. However, several other schools I've communicated with do not admit students under particular faculty. Faculty might nominate people, but those people have to ultimately be considered by the entire committee. I know one or two recent admits at Chicago who work with KP, but don't know if he specifically recruited anyone this year.

3 minutes ago, IGoToWar said:

Not entirely sure -- not privy to the process myself. However, several other schools I've communicated with do not admit students under particular faculty. Faculty might nominate people, but those people have to ultimately be considered by the entire committee. I know one or two recent admits at Chicago who work with KP, but don't know if he specifically recruited anyone this year.

Thanks a lot! Just asked because he seemed to be on leave for 19-20.

2 minutes ago, Wingman4587 said:

Thanks a lot! Just asked because he seemed to be on leave for 19-20.

No problem! Also, for what it's worth, faculty on leave still likely have a say in the admissions process. Given that pretty much the entire China field there is on leave, I couldn't imagine that they would have zero admits as a result.

59 minutes ago, IGoToWar said:

No problem! Also, for what it's worth, faculty on leave still likely have a say in the admissions process. Given that pretty much the entire China field there is on leave, I couldn't imagine that they would have zero admits as a result.

Appreciate it! Very informative.

Idk if anyone else applied there this season (besides the one admit), but I've just been rejected from Vanderbilt. Feeling kind of numb, really wondering what will happen now. Wisconsin was also an implicit rejection, so I have four options left (really 5, gotta update to say that I applied to Lehigh), but Michigan is a pipe dream, so my options are dwindling. I'm applying for Master's programs now, so I have a backup plan. This really sucks, though, I had my heart set on Nashville.

16 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Idk if anyone else applied there this season (besides the one admit), but I've just been rejected from Vanderbilt. Feeling kind of numb, really wondering what will happen now. Wisconsin was also an implicit rejection, so I have four options left (really 5, gotta update to say that I applied to Lehigh), but Michigan is a pipe dream, so my options are dwindling. I'm applying for Master's programs now, so I have a backup plan. This really sucks, though, I had my heart set on Nashville.

I am so sorry. I completely understand how you feel though I know that is little comfort. I read a quote that has been keeping me going through this grad school purgatory and that is "what is meant for you will not pass you by." Cheesy but whatever works, right? Sending hugs and good vibes your way. 

1 minute ago, BalkanItinerant said:

Has anyone else rejected by Columbia now gotten a follow up email to invite you to transfer your phd application to certain master's programs in the fall? This is the only school that's done this for me thus far.

Columbia did the same thing when I applied to them two years ago. Seems pretty standard for them.

Congrats to those who got into Cornell! Just saw the list of prospective students today. If anybody has any questions about the program or the university feel free to drop me a PM (or if there are any Aussies moving to the US more generally).

2 minutes ago, Nicator said:

Congrats to those who got into Cornell! Just saw the list of prospective students today. If anybody has any questions about the program or the university feel free to drop me a PM (or if there are any Aussies moving to the US more generally).

Aussie here still waiting on decisions for 4 unis (rejected from 2). Wait is driving me nuts especially since I really look forward to packing up my life and moving to the more exciting hemisphere :)

6 minutes ago, eva5678 said:

Aussie here still waiting on decisions for 4 unis (rejected from 2). Wait is driving me nuts especially since I really look forward to packing up my life and moving to the more exciting hemisphere :)

The waiting is a nightmare, but it'll be over soon. Fingers crossed for you!

Are there any people with the CUNY interviews around the forums? I haven't heard anything, so I can only assume that's another rejection. This one is tough to swallow as there's 6 or so faculty members I saw as good fits. 

Since my field is church history, my applications straddle history and religious studies departments, and so far the religion folks seem to be moving faster. Got accepted to my No. 1 choice yesterday (yay!) and rejected from my local choice today (boo!) – which means our family is almost definitely moving this summer. Both of them are religion programs. My three holdouts are all history programs. Come on, history folks! My children (and me) would like some certainty!