2020 application thread

Sigaba

11 minutes ago, norellehannah said:

That was me! I'm early modern Europe/gender & sexuality, so (perhaps obviously, lol) my POI is Mary Fissell. She just gave me the good news and told me that the official offer, funding info, etc. would be forthcoming, as well as some details about the recruitment visit.

Hello!! Yes, I'll message you! :) 

Congratulations! Is JHU your first choice program?

26 minutes ago, norellehannah said:

That was me! I'm early modern Europe/gender & sexuality, so (perhaps obviously, lol) my POI is Mary Fissell. She just gave me the good news and told me that the official offer, funding info, etc. would be forthcoming, as well as some details about the recruitment visit.

Hello!! Yes, I'll message you! :) 

Ahh hi! :) Congrats! Mary Fissell's a force of nature! I'm currently working on early modern reproductive system cancer, but I'm moving into the modern world because I'm interested in the relationships among cancer, immunity, and genetics. I've had a couple POIs because Hopkins is such a good fit for me (including Nathaniel Comfort, Elizabeth O'Brien, and Fissell), but I got the call from Jeremy Greene, the department chair and another POI.

The call was very kind: congratulations, brief info about funding, invitation to accepted student days, a little bit of conversation about the status of my other applications, etc. 

For context, I visited the department in the fall for a prospective student visit. If you haven't done that with Hopkins, I highly recommend it in the next application cycle. I was told by the grad students that usually they usually only accept 2 students a year, but that there were rumors among the department that they might be accepting more this year. 

9 minutes ago, Hugotarian said:

For context, I visited the department in the fall for a prospective student visit. If you haven't done that with Hopkins, I highly recommend it in the next application cycle.

Seconding this! Aside from being a great way for the department to get to know you, I also found it really helpful for my own purposes. As far as I know JHU HistMed is one of not very many departments that does organized visit days before applications are due, and I really appreciated getting to learn more about what grad school could be like, what I should be looking for/asking about, etc. before I hit submit and paid those steep, steep application fees.

Anyone have insight into what's going on with Princeton or Columbia?

P.S. It sounds like admit rates are especially low this year. Sending so much love to everyone facing rejections this week. As much as it might feel like a personal indictment, an admissions decision is not a reflection of your worth. You are all valuable, talented individuals doing interesting work and I hope that you will hear some good news as well before the cycle ends. ?

Edited by snackademic

45 minutes ago, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

Got my first two rejections yesterday and today: rejected from Notre Dame and Yale :( I'm trying to not have expectations so I'm not torn up about it, but I still am sad and really hope I get in somewhere 

Hugs to you ♥️ Where all did you apply and what are you hoping to study?

32 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Hugs to you ♥️ Where all did you apply and what are you hoping to study?

I'm hoping to study the solidarity practices of working-class women in Northern Ireland during the Troubles with US-based women of color. I applied to Boston College, Columbia, CUNY, Notre Dame, NYU, Rutgers and Yale, along with UMichigan's joint PhD in History and Women's Studies. I also got rejected from NYU today so it's been a rough day.

I'm a bit worried because two of the three schools (ND, NYU, and BC) I applied to that have focused specializations in Irish studies/history and very relevant faculty have rejected me so I'm worried it doesn't bode well :( 

22 minutes ago, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

I'm hoping to study the solidarity practices of working-class women in Northern Ireland during the Troubles with US-based women of color. I applied to Boston College, Columbia, CUNY, Notre Dame, NYU, Rutgers and Yale, along with UMichigan's joint PhD in History and Women's Studies. I also got rejected from NYU today so it's been a rough day.

I'm a bit worried because two of the three schools (ND, NYU, and BC) I applied to that have focused specializations in Irish studies/history and very relevant faculty have rejected me so I'm worried it doesn't bode well :(

I also applied to BC with a focus in Modern British History! I believe after chatting with the graduate program assistant that results will be released on February 17. 

9 minutes ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

I also applied to BC with a focus in Modern British History! I believe after chatting with the graduate program assistant that results will be released on February 17. 

Oh boy! That's good to know, thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to email them because I wasn't super sure if the results would be posted on the portal. Thanks for letting me know. Good luck to you!

15 minutes ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Hi all, saw NYU sent out rejections today. If there’s nothing in my portal, should I take that as a good sign?

I'd say so - I didn't get an email and just checked the portal like I do everyday lol so if there's nothing in your portal I'd say it's a good sign. Good luck!

41 minutes ago, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

I applied to BC for Modern British/Irish history also! Went to an Irish studies conference there last Feb and it seemed like a good fit. Very nervously waiting....I applied to 10 schools. Heard from three. Two rejections and one waitlist. 

3 minutes ago, Cosette316 said:

I applied to BC for Modern British/Irish history also! Went to an Irish studies conference there last Feb and it seemed like a good fit. Very nervously waiting....I applied to 10 schools. Heard from three. Two rejections and one waitlist. 

So nice to find some other British/Irish historians! Where all did you apply? I applied to NYU, BC, U of Washington, Columbia, and CU Boulder. 

4 minutes ago, Cosette316 said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign? 

According to the Results Search, one person has been accepted, but that seems to be it. That was on Jan 30, so they may have heard from their POI rather than the program itself

1 minute ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

So nice to find some other British/Irish historians! Where all did you apply? I applied to NYU, BC, U of Washington, Columbia, and CU Boulder. 

Yes, for sure! I applied to Berkeley (rejected), Stanford, Minnesota (waitlisted), Wisconsin, Notre Dame (rejected), UCSB, BC, Northern Illinois, Univ of Illinois (Urbana), and Marquette. I was going to apply to Univ of Washington but Jordanna Bailkin told me she didn't work with Irish students. I was crushed as I am from WA state and location wise it would have been perfect. Oh well. Who did you apply to work with at BC? I am hoping to work with Rob Savage bc of his focus on the North 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Cosette316 said:

Yes, for sure! I applied to Berkeley (rejected), Stanford, Minnesota (waitlisted), Wisconsin, Notre Dame (rejected), UCSB, BC, Northern Illinois, Univ of Illinois (Urbana), and Marquette. I was going to apply to Univ of Washington but Jordanna Bailkin told me she didn't work with Irish students. I was crushed as I am from WA state and location wise it would have been perfect. Oh well. Who did you apply to work with at BC? I am hoping to work with Rob Savage bc of his focus on the North 

Sorry to hear about UW! I applied to work with Dr. Bailkin. As for BC, I also applied to work with Dr. Savage. I love his work and he seems like a genuinely nice person. Hopefully we both get in to BC! :)

Yes, fingers crossed. I am rooting for you!! 

Side note, maybe you've already heard of it but I thought you'd be interested in this conference (flyer attached) they are having at BC for early career academics in Irish studies. Short notice but it is a great opportunity. If not this year, definitely keep it on your radar for next year wherever you end up. :)

CFP_Comhfhios_Boston College 2020.pdf

1 hour ago, snackademic said:

Anyone have insight into what's going on with Princeton or Columbia

I have no insights, but I got into Columbia today. Still can’t believe it! I received an email to check my application status - and there was the offer with funding information. I’m surprised more people haven’t posted anything on the results page...

Just now, FruitLover said:

I have no insights, but I got into Columbia today. Still can’t believe it! I received an email to check my application status - and there was the offer with funding information. I’m surprised more people haven’t posted anything on the results page...

Congrats! What field/time period do you work in?

4 hours ago, Hugotarian said:

Who is the other Hopkins History of Medicine admit? I was accepted, too! Let's connect! 

Congratulations! Hopkins is a great place to do HoM and the place where the discipline developed its professional identity!

Edited by psstein

30 minutes ago, FruitLover said:

Congratulations!! That is awesome! ?

2 hours ago, snackademic said:

P.S. It sounds like admit rates are especially low this year. Sending so much love to everyone facing rejections this week. As much as it might feel like a personal indictment, an admissions decision is not a reflection of your worth. You are all valuable, talented individuals doing interesting work and I hope that you will hear some good news as well before the cycle ends. ?

Many programs have begun to react to the somewhat self-caused crisis of the humanities, and are accepting fewer students. For some, especially state universities, having lower history enrollments makes it difficult to justify more graduate students than you can reasonably have TA.

1 hour ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Hi all, saw NYU sent out rejections today. If there’s nothing in my portal, should I take that as a good sign?

I've been frantically checking my email and portal since I saw the wave of rejections on the result page! Really hoping something comes in soon so I can stop being stressed about it.