2020 application thread

Sigaba

6 minutes ago, gatto said:

I've been frantically checking my email and portal since I saw the wave of rejections on the result page! Really hoping something comes in soon so I can stop being stressed about it. 

Ahh, same here. Can anyone shed light as to if NYU sends out rejections in waves?

Side note, what is your time period/regional field?

Just now, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Ahh, same here. Can anyone shed light as to if NYU sends out rejections in waves?

I believe they do, yes. My friend didn't receive his rejection until very late in the process (mid-March?).

40 minutes ago, psstein said:

I believe they do, yes. My friend didn't receive his rejection until very late in the process (mid-March?).

Thanks for the insight! Now hopefully they send acceptances in waves as well... :)

Edited by jocelynbymarcjacobs

14 hours ago, snackademic said:

Anyone have insight into what's going on with Princeton or Columbia?

P.S. It sounds like admit rates are especially low this year. Sending so much love to everyone facing rejections this week. As much as it might feel like a personal indictment, an admissions decision is not a reflection of your worth. You are all valuable, talented individuals doing interesting work and I hope that you will hear some good news as well before the cycle ends. ?

I just received yesterday an offer of admission from Columbia! I’m over the moon  ?? 

i hope everyone gets to hear back from their intended schools very soon ?

12 hours ago, FruitLover said:

I have no insights, but I got into Columbia today. Still can’t believe it! I received an email to check my application status - and there was the offer with funding information. I’m surprised more people haven’t posted anything on the results page...

SAME! Congrats!!!! That whole “check the portal status” is a bit nerve wracking aha. Any idea when the visit day might be? 

17 hours ago, snackademic said:

Anyone have insight into what's going on with Princeton or Columbia?

I don't have much insight, but I do know that Princeton has been in the midst of several hiring searches, so I would not be surprised if decisions are a bit later this year.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone with a Berkeley acceptance has received word of funding or knows when funding info is sent out? Or if anyone in general knows how long it takes for funding info to follow an acceptance? Trying to figure when to visit, etc...

For those who have been accepted, was there a particular song you played to celebrate? I'm interested in creating a happy playlist. In the same vein, for those who have received rejections, was there a song you immediately started playing/hearing in your head? For me it was Rainbow Connection, mainly to give myself some hope and because you can make it sound really sad in your head lol.

Got an email from University of Illinois Urbana that their admissions software is having issues. Some people might have already received their decisions but others will get them once the issue is fixed. Hopefully tomorrow. 

Hi everyone - I've been staying quiet and avoiding Grad Cafe as much as I could stand it. I was among the recent round of Yale rejects earlier this week, but other than that it's been radio silence and I've been struggling not to interpret that as a bad sign. If anyone is looking for something to keep you distracted, there was a wonderful podcast episode on NPR recently that was about the psychology of comparing yourself against other people: Counting Other People's Blessings. I don't know if it will help but I'm making the intention that every time I start getting anxious I'll remind myself of some event in my life from the past ten years or so that was a blessing. Going through old photos helps a lot to remind me of all the good things that have happened. Best of luck to you all.

2 hours ago, histori041512 said:

Got an email from University of Illinois Urbana that their admissions software is having issues. Some people might have already received their decisions but others will get them once the issue is fixed. Hopefully tomorrow. 

I got that email too. Talk about nerve wracking! At least we’ll all hopefully know tomorrow. Good luck!??????

Hi everyone! I'm late to the party but I've also been trying to avoid Grad Cafe as much as possible. But as it is now crunch time my anxiety is going to kill me! I'm an international applicant (Australian) and have a MA from an Israeli university. Main fields are Jewish and International/Global history. 

Really hoping I get at least an offer. Already rejected from NYU - was not surprised about that, knew in my heart of hearts I wasn't a good fit but it has ramped my anxiety up big time. Still waiting on Columbia, CUNY, American University, George Washington and Brandeis.

Like a few others here I am wondering what the deal is with Columbia for those who have already been rejected and accepted.   

Thanks to those who've shared supportive words and self-care tips. Looking forward to checking out that NPR ep, @OmniscienceQuest.

Good luck everyone, and congrats to those already accepted. :) 

7 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

For those who have been accepted, was there a particular song you played to celebrate? I'm interested in creating a happy playlist. In the same vein, for those who have received rejections, was there a song you immediately started playing/hearing in your head? For me it was Rainbow Connection, mainly to give myself some hope and because you can make it sound really sad in your head lol.

"Fix You" by Coldplay is an excellent song for rejection dejection. "When you try your best but you don't succeed [...] When tears come streaming down your face / 'Cause you lose something you can't replace."

10 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

Also for rejections, there's always the classic "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter à la American Idol Season 6... so ridiculous it makes me feel a little better ?

10 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

7 rejections and 0 acceptances last cycle created this playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/1265061525/playlist/1W22aBwe37aSMaC7OBTJt6?si=TzlABv-VQSOML3TVVUAsBg

This round is off to a considerably better start for me. Hang in there. 

To the poster on the results page asking about the NYU Joint French Studies/History program: all of the decisions get made at the IFS, and then get sent to the Hist department to get approved and it is my impression that no decisions have gone out for the joint program yet. 

4 hours ago, histofsci said:

In case anyone hasn't seen this, Yale has a great data viz tool for looking at acceptance rates and other stats: https://public.tableau.com/profile/ecf5839#!/vizhome/YaleGraduateSchoolofArtsandSciencesStatisticsWebNoBBS/Admissions

Wait, am I reading this correctly? The 2019 cohort is 24 students?