2020 application thread

Sigaba

On 2/7/2020 at 3:51 PM, cleantangerine said:

Has anyone heard from UIC? The results forum showed an acceptance on January 23, but its been radio silence since.

I also applied to UIC but no word. I know they’ve been contacting some people via phone for acceptances. I emailed and they said we should hear 1-2 weeks from now. 

Question particularly for the already-attendings in the thread: I was waitlisted at a school that is now my top choice (got rejected from previous top choice). I was informed of my waitlist status by a professor on the AdComm and then received a follow-up email from my POI. I was told that the odds look good for me getting off the waitlist but that I might be in limbo until April 15. I responded to both of these emails thanking them for their consideration, reiterating my interest in the program, and promising to update them about my status over the next few months.

Does anyone have any recommendations about whether/how I should follow over the next few months? I figured that it might be useful to shoot them an email once decisions from similarly ranked schools are all out telling them that the school is my top choice and that I am still interested. Not quite sure what to do, so would really appreciate advice. 

1 hour ago, icanhavephdasatreat said:

Question particularly for the already-attendings in the thread: I was waitlisted at a school that is now my top choice (got rejected from previous top choice). I was informed of my waitlist status by a professor on the AdComm and then received a follow-up email from my POI. I was told that the odds look good for me getting off the waitlist but that I might be in limbo until April 15. I responded to both of these emails thanking them for their consideration, reiterating my interest in the program, and promising to update them about my status over the next few months.

Does anyone have any recommendations about whether/how I should follow over the next few months? I figured that it might be useful to shoot them an email once decisions from similarly ranked schools are all out telling them that the school is my top choice and that I am still interested. Not quite sure what to do, so would really appreciate advice. 

I would send a followup email after all the decisions are out and make it clear that this program is (if it's true) your top choice. I would reiterate how you think your project would fit well into the strengths of the department faculty and how much you look forward to attending.

Stealing a leaf from @Sigaba, I am very wary of the way "fit" has mutated from explaining how a graduate student's project intersects with faculty interests and how that graduate student would meld with the department, to a seeming catch-all about the applicant's needs and desires. 

6 minutes ago, aaaddd said:

Should I make decisions after campus visits?

Unless your heart is 1000% set on somewhere and there's absolutely nothing you could experience to make you choose otherwise, yes.

You might go to a campus visit and find that you can't stand the grad students and the most interesting thing in town is a supermarket.

1 minute ago, lietuva96 said:

I was told via email from my POI yesterday that the grad committee is making decisions 'shortly'. So I don't think any decisions have come out yet!

Thanks so much for the info. I was looking at the admissions timeline from last year and it seemed like this was the week. Fingers crossed for you! 

3 hours ago, aaaddd said:

Should I make decisions after campus visits?

This is different for everyone. Anecdotally, I was pretty much set on one program until campus visits changed my mind, so they ended up being very important to the decision-making process.

Waitlisted at Princeton a few hours ago. Any insight into how this works there would be of HUGE help.

Is it ranked by department or by field? What does this mean for my chances to visit (I'm international)? Should I reach out to people outside the admissions office (POI, department admin)?

@HardyBoy, perhaps you can help? 

Here's to hoping more news comes this week. Good luck everyone.

Edit: dipping back into 2014 and further, I see that Princeton almost never (actually never?) takes people off the waitlist. Bummer.

Edited by hojoojoh

Saw three Rutgers acceptances in the results! Congrats to those accepted!!!! 

Does anyone know if they release the acceptances all at once, or is it still possible to hear something in the next few days? 

Just got my rejection letter from Boston College; I don't see any others in the results, so I'm not sure if they do it in waves or not, but best of luck to other BC history applicants out there!

Edited by Rauschenbusch

33 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

This is different for everyone. Anecdotally, I was pretty much set on one program until campus visits changed my mind, so they ended up being very important to the decision-making process.

Thanks for sharing. What are some red flags to look out for during the campus visit?

45 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I second this!!

25 minutes ago, Rauschenbusch said:

Just got my rejection letter from Boston College; I don't see any others in the results, so I'm not sure if they do it in waves or not, but best of luck to other BC history applicants out there!

Just got my rejection as well - two others (including you) have gotten rejections so looks like they're giving the axe today

4 minutes ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Interesting... I heard from the program that decisions would be released by Monday the 17th. 

Being in Limbo makes me want to throw up but also laugh until I can't anymore. Hopefully, we know soon.