2020 application thread

Sigaba

1 hour ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

I saw the DGS yesterday - all the emails are out as well as the waitlist. HMES and HEAL is different story though, I'm not sure what is going on with them, but I bet they follow a similar pattern.

I just want to say congratulations to everyone admitted to Harvard and that i look forward to seeing you all very soon during visiting students day! 

That's so disappointing. ☹️ Thank you for letting us know.

8 hours ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

I saw the DGS yesterday - all the emails are out as well as the waitlist. HMES and HEAL is different story though, I'm not sure what is going on with them, but I bet they follow a similar pattern.

I just want to say congratulations to everyone admitted to Harvard and that i look forward to seeing you all very soon during visiting students day! 

7 hours ago, snackademic said:

That's so disappointing. ☹️ Thank you for letting us know.

Unfortunate, but I am glad to have this info. Thanks.

18 hours ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

i look forward to seeing you all very soon during visiting students day! 

Say hi to Precocious Charlie for me.

(I'm committed to making this nickname stick across universities)

On 1/30/2020 at 6:50 AM, Carrots112 said:

Currently grappling with the reality that I probably didn’t get into Penn and UVA based on a lack of communication. I’m just reminding myself that I worked hard to get here and that no matter the result, nothing will change that. I hope it works out for myself and everyone else but just remember there’s always next year and if we are truly passionate about this field of study, nothing will keep us from eventually reaching our goals ? good luck everyone 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:50 AM, aaaddd said:

Mine still shows "materials needed" even though I have submitted everything the school required...

Penn sent out another wave of interview invites last week and it looks like they are following a similar schedule as in previous years. This means interviews in last week of Jan/first week of Feb, offers around Feb 16th, and rejections in a big wave the following week.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:37 PM, Marier said:

Northwestern admit! JHS reject. They seem to come all at once now. Anyone knows when NYU & Columbia usually sends out their reply?

I wanna echo this. Waiting to hear back from both schools too and feeling anxious because NYU is my top choice. I'd rather just get rejected now and have this be over!

3 hours ago, gatto said:

I wanna echo this. Waiting to hear back from both schools too and feeling anxious because NYU is my top choice. I'd rather just get rejected now and have this be over!

What's your regional field/time? I know some interviews were held last week and that they've definitely made some decisions about who's going to receive an offer (but haven't extended offers). It's a very field-by-field process and I only really have insight into my own fields--feel free to PM. 

14 minutes ago, svjfdbbre123 said:

Should I assume I’ve already been rejected by Yale if I didn’t get any email today..?

Did you have an interview? I don’t know whether all the emails have gone out yet or not 

Someone on the results page asked what the Yale interview entailed. To my knowledge the interview is required by all graduate programs (at Yale) and is used by the history department as a way to gauge interest. I was asked to talk about my interests, my current studies at oxford, past research experiences, who I worked with and how that impacted my work, etc. it was informal and honestly just an enjoyable chat. I followed up with questions about the structure of the program and source access. 
Hope this info helps 

Edited by Carrots112

17 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Looks like the first Wisconsin acceptances have gone out, congrats to y’all!

Congrats! I don’t see an email so I hope I receive one by the end of the week.

35 minutes ago, Carrots112 said:

. I was asked to talk about my interests, my current studies at oxford, past research experiences, who I worked with and how that impacted my work...it was informal and honestly just an enjoyable chat. I followed up with questions about the structure of the program and source access. 
Hope this info helps 

This post is arguably the most helpful so far this season for next season's applicants as well as for this season's admitted students.

@Carrots112 is touching upon the importance of being able to present oneself as prepared, composed, engaged, forward leaning, and personable.

Professional academic historians aren't just looking at test scores, grades, and other metrics, they're also looking for information that indicates an applicant will be a good colleague down the line (as in this fall).

2 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

Looks like the first Wisconsin acceptances have gone out, congrats to y’all!

Congratulations to the accepted! Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions.

For those of you who haven't yet heard, I'm sorry. The program has, at least in my experience, informed everyone accepted or waitlisted at the same time. If you weren't so lucky, please also feel free to reach out to me.

Edited by psstein

11 minutes ago, psstein said:

Congratulations to the accepted! Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions.

For those of you who haven't yet heard, I'm sorry. The program has, at least in my experience, informed everyone accepted or waitlisted at the same time. If you weren't so lucky, please also feel free to reach out to me.

I guess I'll take that as an implicit rejection, then. I know not everyone who gets accepted will post to GradCafe, but man, only two admits? Can't say it doesn't hurt.

33 minutes ago, psstein said:

I’m rather down about the implicit rejection. I thought I stood a pretty good chance after speaking with potential advisors who seemed interested in my proposed area of study. My only weak spot was my GRE but I wasn’t too concerned as I was told it wasn’t even considered for the program.

Edited by Pikepride2000
Capitalization error.