2020 application thread

Sigaba

3 hours ago, The Bee's Proverbial Knees said:

@telkanuru

Do you know if the Brown results out yet or the acceptance result posted today is a troll? 

To the Brown person if it's not a troll, what are the details on your acceptance? Was it on the portal? 

As far as I know, Brown's offers are at the graduate school right now, and have not been released. That doesn't stop a POI from reaching out, though.

Then again, I'm in France (casual flex), so who knows.

12 hours ago, depechemodeface said:

hey fam i was the harvard quasi-acceptance. i got an email from the DOGS for the history department as well as a couple of POIs, saying that we're waiting for the final official decision from GSAS but also largely implying i'm in? i'm confused as well so sorry for creating any chaos. 

good luck to all! 

Congrats on the great news! Could you share your field/POI initials?

Also I didn't know that POIs can call... Yikes, I never pick up the phone because of all the spam calls.

I'm rather confused about how to read the results page in general. If acceptances go out in batches, does seeing one on the results page (especially one that's not from a POI) and not getting one mean that you can presume rejection?

Edited by snackademic

11 hours ago, DanaJ said:

I did NOT receive any contact before the e-mail telling me to check the portal. It seemed like an automatically generated e-mail from the graduate school that said something along the lines of "a decision had been made regarding you application." When I logged in, there was a letter offering a conditional acceptance upon completion of my MA (I graduated with my MA May 2019 and started my PhD August of 2019). 

I do attend a state school. If you want to send a private message I'm open to talking about it. We are ranked slightly below many of the schools discussed on this site by the Chronicle of Higher Education, but I never see anyone on here discussing us. I'm thrilled and love my program, we just aren't common on grad cafe.

Edit: for clarity.

Thanks for your details. 

4 hours ago, telkanuru said:

They're not posted at once. I don't know of any graduate program that allows sub-fields of a department to make the final decision on admitting applicants. The department and then the graduate school universally does a full check.

Some POIs will reach out when an app is sent on to the graduate school, which makes the notification appear to be early.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that sounds like the case for pretty much all schools when it comes to formal acceptances/rejections. What I meant was individual POIs reaching out to convey news informally.

8 minutes ago, Wingman4587 said:

I am almost 100% certain that they accept more than one person in East Asia. That being said, UChicago is moving toward a new policy which aims at providing secure funding to reduce time-to-degree and attrition rates. This means that they are also implementing program caps on total active PhD numbers in the coming years (possibly this year too, not sure if it has been fully implemented yet). You can read about it here: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/10/09/university-chicago-will-guarantee-full-funding-all-humanities-and-social-sciences

Edited by IGoToWar

30 minutes ago, IGoToWar said:

I am almost 100% certain that they accept more than one person in East Asia. That being said, UChicago is moving toward a new policy which aims at providing secure funding to reduce time-to-degree and attrition rates. This means that they are also implementing program caps on total active PhD numbers in the coming years (possibly this year too, not sure if it has been fully implemented yet). You can read about it here: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/10/09/university-chicago-will-guarantee-full-funding-all-humanities-and-social-sciences

Thanks! That is interesting. Is your research area China or Japan? I guess within a region the program may give priority to allocating quota among countries, instead of time/periods .

13 hours ago, snackademic said:

I'm rather confused about how to read the results page in general. If acceptances go out in batches, does seeing one on the results page (especially one that's not from a POI) and not getting one mean that you can presume rejection?

If not from a POI, acceptances likely go out together. Waitlists might go out later. I was waitlisted by 4 schools and notified after acceptances by all of them. 

18 hours ago, telkanuru said:

As far as I know, Brown's offers are at the graduate school right now, and have not been released. That doesn't stop a POI from reaching out, though.

Then again, I'm in France (casual flex), so who knows.

An email was also sent out last night to all the accepted students about accepted students day. 

Edited by coolperson54321

3 hours ago, earlycalifornia said:

If not from a POI, acceptances likely go out together. Waitlists might go out later. I was waitlisted by 4 schools and notified after acceptances by all of them. 

Also admits may not post them at the same time. 

27 minutes ago, icanhavephdasatreat said:

Does anyone have any ideas of how to respond to a waitlist email? I don't want to leave the profs who informed me hanging, but I'm not really sure what to say back. 

Thank them for their time, their support thus far in a competitive application process, and you will let them know as soon as possible if your circumstances change (i.e. you accept another offer or otherwise don't wish to remain on the waitlist).

2 hours ago, Balleu said:

Thank them for their time, their support thus far in a competitive application process, and you will let them know as soon as possible if your circumstances change (i.e. you accept another offer or otherwise don't wish to remain on the waitlist).

In addition, and this is very important, reiterate your interest in the program. I'd argue not include the possibility of your circumstances changing (everyone knows you might have other offers). I'd highlight your interest. 

41 minutes ago, snackademic said:

So like for Harvard for instance, with the DGS emails going out, does that mean that not having one at this point means a rejection?

No, I was talking about people posting to TGC results page. 

I wouldn’t know about Harvard. Until you get an official notification, you don’t know your status. That said, yes, if a DGS sent out unofficial notifications and you didn’t get one, your application probably didn’t make it. 

2 hours ago, snackademic said:

So like for Harvard for instance, with the DGS emails going out, does that mean that not having one at this point means a rejection?

I saw the DGS yesterday - all the emails are out as well as the waitlist. HMES and HEAL is different story though, I'm not sure what is going on with them, but I bet they follow a similar pattern.

I just want to say congratulations to everyone admitted to Harvard and that i look forward to seeing you all very soon during visiting students day! 

Edited by urbanhistorynerd