2020 application thread

Sigaba

Hello,

I have been lurking this thread for a while but didn't get the chance to properly post anything. Just wanted to say that this forum has been really helpful! It's good to know there's a graduate history community out there, that knows about this horrendous application process & the likely perspective of being a 30-y old unemployed dr. something, yet passionate about historical research.  

Quick note about me, I am a EU student, graduated from an American institution though, and completed my MA in History at Durham uni.

For those who have applied to UCLA, some answers may have been sent out. I received my offer of admission yesterday, and personal emails from my POIs. 

I am really happy as UCLA is one of my top choice and is fully funded, but I was wondering if it was acceptable to wait a couple of weeks before giving a final answer. I'd like to hear back from the other schools I applied to (mostly from NYU, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and the scholarships app. from Leeds (UK) before making any decision. UCLA have 'visit day' mid-february and encourage us to attend. I am excited for this, however I am wondering if you're supposed to have accepted your offer before attending the open-days. I do not think that I'll have heard back from the other schools by then. I had an  informal interview for Columbia with my POIs and they told me I shouldn't hear back in a couple of weeks. They were, apparently, at stage 2 of the admission process (aka, candidacy being reviewed by ppl in your field). What are your thoughts on that? Is it okay to attend (and letting them pay for your flighhhht) while you haven't given a final confirmation? 

Good luck to anyone!!

After sending an update on my research that I didn't have in time to include on my applications I got the following responses from two POIs:

Harvard: "Regarding the application process, yes, it is going on. By now the field’s recommendations are in the hands of the department’s admissions committee. So we are all waiting for their judgement."

UVA: "We're still reviewing applications, and I believe the admissions committee will meet in the next couple of weeks. At this point, faculty in the various geographical fields have made their recommendations, but it's now out of our hands: it's up to the committee to compare all the candidates against each other and determine how many admits each field gets. It typically announces its decisions some time in February."

Does anyone know if they'd volunteer this info if I wasn't recommended? Or is this just standard and being polite? 

Hopefully this info is helpful to people applying to these schools regarding the timeline! 

If anyone is admitted to Harvard, DM me if you would like some information on the faculty, graduate students, program, school, etc, etc. I am a first year PhD there, a member of the HGSA and helping to coordinate this years admissions visit.

Tomorrow is the official faculty meeting on graduate admissions, so everyone who applied should receive something in the next week or two.

Edited by urbanhistorynerd

2 hours ago, Marier said:

I am really happy as UCLA is one of my top choice and is fully funded, but I was wondering if it was acceptable to wait a couple of weeks before giving a final answer. I'd like to hear back from the other schools I applied to (mostly from NYU, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and the scholarships app. from Leeds (UK) before making any decision. UCLA have 'visit day' mid-february and encourage us to attend. I am excited for this, however I am wondering if you're supposed to have accepted your offer before attending the open-days. I do not think that I'll have heard back from the other schools by then. I had an  informal interview for Columbia with my POIs and they told me I shouldn't hear back in a couple of weeks. They were, apparently, at stage 2 of the admission process (aka, candidacy being reviewed by ppl in your field). What are your thoughts on that? Is it okay to attend (and letting them pay for your flighhhht) while you haven't given a final confirmation? 

In the US you have until April 15 to respond to offers. You can attend admitted students weekend without accepting. Actually, the whole point of that weekend is for you to know them better. 

7 hours ago, Marier said:

Hello,

I have been lurking this thread for a while but didn't get the chance to properly post anything. Just wanted to say that this forum has been really helpful! It's good to know there's a graduate history community out there, that knows about this horrendous application process & the likely perspective of being a 30-y old unemployed dr. something, yet passionate about historical research.  

Quick note about me, I am a EU student, graduated from an American institution though, and completed my MA in History at Durham uni.

For those who have applied to UCLA, some answers may have been sent out. I received my offer of admission yesterday, and personal emails from my POIs. 

Good luck to anyone!!

Congratulations on UCLA! I went there for undergrad and UCLA has one of the most wonderful and supportive departments! You’ll have a wonderful time and I would highly recommend going for admitted students day if you haven’t been to UCLA yet. If you have any questions about any of the American History faculty or living in LA, feel free to let me know :) 

36 minutes ago, Carrots112 said:

Does anyone know which schools typically offer an admitted students visit? 
thanks in advance

Typically, schools with money. 

However, visits are not standard even within the same school. In my school, we had admitted students weekend, like what @Marier was talking about. Other departments had interview weekend, where they invited people to have an interview but they had not been accepted yet. I know excellent departments that do not spend money on visits. 

Visits also vary in terms of how much they cover. While in general departments will pay your trip, they will have a top-up for transportation. In my case, coming from abroad, I couldn't go to any of the visits I was offered because I could not pay for the remainder of the air ticket departments could cover. Also, for me it would have meant traveling to the US for 20 days and I couldn't take that time off work. 

So, don't get anxious about visits (you are already in) and don't get anxious if you cannot go because you have other commitments. 

If you can travel, enjoy them because they are really fun and you'll get to see your future colleagues up close. I envied those in my cohort who made it to the visit because they were friends on the first day! 

As we are getting into decision season, I just wanted to wish everyone who is applying good luck! Remember, a rejection is NOT the end of the world. I was heartbroken when I received my first one, but after spending some time in my current program I know that I'm exactly where I am supposed to be. Sometimes decisions are based on factors that we do not know or do not understand. Celebrate your victories, but don't take time to wallow in any failures or take anything too personally. 

Breathe, work on your ongoing projects, go for a run, lay around and watch netflix for an evening, do your best not to get psyched out or worry too much. I know that is easier said than done, but it is the healthy decision. 

Good luck, I hope the best for all of you!!!

6 hours ago, AP said:

However, visits are not standard even within the same school. In my school, we had admitted students weekend, like what @Marier was talking about. Other departments had interview weekend, where they invited people to have an interview but they had not been accepted yet. I know excellent departments that do not spend money on visits. 

Visits also vary in terms of how much they cover. While in general departments will pay your trip, they will have a top-up for transportation. In my case, coming from abroad, I couldn't go to any of the visits I was offered because I could not pay for the remainder of the air ticket departments could cover. Also, for me it would have meant traveling to the US for 20 days and I couldn't take that time off work. 

So, don't get anxious about visits (you are already in) and don't get anxious if you cannot go because you have other commitments. 

If you can travel, enjoy them because they are really fun and you'll get to see your future colleagues up close. I envied those in my cohort who made it to the visit because they were friends on the first day! 

Don't be afraid to be upfront and remind the Department that you're coming from the UK, which means going above and beyond the typical cost of a plane ticket. See what they can do for you.  Most of other aspects of the visit will be covered (food, willing to crash on a couch in a current grad student's apartment, accepting rides to/from the airport).

16 hours ago, AP said:

I do want to add that, if you are trying to decide between schools and you can afford to cover any difference between the reimbursement they offer and the cost of going, do go to visit weekends. Mnay of the deciding factors for me were things that I learned in person during visits. Plus, it's definitely your last chance to feel courted by a school for a while (ever?), so enjoy it!

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Many of the deciding factors for me were things that I learned in person during visits.

In my experience, both as a potential grad student and as a grad student, most of the current students you meet during the visit weekend are not going to try to sell you some idealized version of who you want to work with, what the program is like, etc. Many of them are honest, sometimes brutally so.

18 hours ago, AP said:

I would also be coming from abroad and was wondering if it was worth it (I definitely want to attend!). What do you “discover” during those visit-days? 

I have a somewhat odd question. 

UCLA’s website indicates that “students entering the program with an MA are expected to graduate within 12 to 15 quarters (4-5y) instead of 18-21 quarters”. I’ve asked my POI and she said that the requirements on the website are to be taken with a grain of salt, and that students are expected to take at least 6y. 

I know that programs such as Princeton and Rutgers are based on a 5-y program (you received 5y of funding). At NYU for instance, you are given the option of making your master counts towards your doctorate (and thus receive -1y of funding).

I’ll be entering the Ph.D program with an MA, and it’d be important to know whether I’ll be spending an extra 1 or 2 years in this particular program. I do not know if I’d be willing to spend an extra 2y, for then it kills the purpose of having done an MA.

I am wondering, it not unusual for students entering with a master’s degree to complete their doctorate in 5y (aka, sooner than those entering with a b.a)? 

I am confused as to why some programs run longer than others. 

Any insights ?

Edited by Marier

9 minutes ago, Marier said:

UCLA’s website indicates that “students entering the program with an MA are expected to graduate within 12 to 15 quarters (4-5y) instead of 18-21 quarters”. I’ve asked my POI and she said that the requirements on the website are to be taken with a grain of salt, and that students are expected to take at least 6y. 

I know that programs such as Princeton and Rutgers are based on a 5-y program (you received 5y of funding). At NYU for instance, you are given the option of making your master counts towards your doctorate (and thus receive -1y of funding).

I’ll be entering the Ph.D program with an MA, and it’d be important to know whether I’ll be spending an extra 1 or 2 years in this particular program. I do not know if I’d be willing to spend an extra 2y, for then it kills the purpose of having done an MA.

I am wondering, it not unusual for students entering with a master’s degree to complete their doctorate in 5y (aka, sooner than those entering with a b.a)? 

Any insights ?

I didn't apply to UCLA but I think a lot of schools advertise the 5-year timeline as some students can complete it in that time but most end up going over for one reason or another. I have noticed a lot of programs have started putting 5-7 years as an estimated time frame. 

Edited by histori041512

4 minutes ago, Marier said:

Any insights ?

Your POI is telling you that while you may be able to finish in five years, the department understands that it may take six years or longer.

Please keep in mind that when you enter a graduate program with a master's in hand, your new department is still going to want to "kick the tires."

1 hour ago, Marier said:

The PhD is a totally different process to the MA and so PhD coursework is completed to different ends--often towards the ends of building a relationship w a professor that might last well beyond your dissertation, or towards the end of early research etc etc etc. You don't "kill the purpose of the MA" by doing PhD coursework (that's a kind of bizarre way to understand your MA). I don't know of anyone at NYU who has or who would reduce their funding to 4 years just so that they can get out of coursework credits--you can always just take "independent studies"--and most ppl I know at NYU, incld myself, enter w a masters. It's not that some programs "run longer" than others--people just take different amounts of time to complete. 

Edited by OHSP

1 hour ago, Marier said:

Any insights ?

I can't think of a single person in my program who is finishing or has finished before sixth year and that's including folks with MAs and people who I think of as having "finished quickly."

I'd plan on six years and take that into consideration when you make choices, i.e., ask about funding beyond the fifth year because it's very likely you will need it. Most schools cannot put it in writing that you'll get a sixth year of funding (hence the "five year package") but they have informal procedures— ask what grad students are doing for the sixth year? if they're getting funding from the department, in what form and how is it allotted? if you get an external fellowship, are you allowed to get that year "back" later on (e.g., if you win a prestigious fellowship that funds your 4th year, do you get that "4th year funding" back as a sixth year? etc)

Edited by gsc

Any insights ?

In my program, students entering with an MA can transfer 1 credit of coursework (of the 18 required for us). Schools will vary widely in their handling of previous coursework. 

Do you have a copy of the graduate handbook for the program you're considering?

@Marier Know you're coming from abroad, I'd ask your POI (and the DGS) how they will consider your MA coursework.  Will they transfer all of the credits?  Some?  What about the thesis? Every program is different.  But definitely try to get out of the thesis requirement if you can, or at least, ask to re-use your thesis (if you plan to use it for the dissertation) and use the time to revise it into a journal article. One PhD program (which I turned down) said they'd transfer my MA coursework but would have to look into whether my MA thesis requirement could be waived.  My current PhD program accepted everything and let me get right to the coursework.  My first big hurdle, thus, then were the PhD exams, not MA thesis/exam.  Still, I did 2 years of coursework, took a year to prep for the exams, and moved onto the dissertation stage. It was just nice not to have to stress about a MA thesis/exam (while everyone else was...).

Do ask about post-5th year funding and whether the program has been consistent in awarding such funding (budget cuts do happen at state schools).  Anticipate applying for external fellowships that will allow you to extend the life expectancy of your guaranteed funding package. Speak with your adviser's students and find out how they finished and whether the adviser is committed to securing funding for you until you can graduate. 

Any insights ?

In previous program, people with MAs could get one course release. Of all the people I've known coming into my program with a MA, only one got this. The release was more dependent on advisors than program. Here is why: a MA and a PhD are very different graduate programs. They have different requirements, different expectations, different times.

Further, in the humanities you encounter less structure in MA and PhD programs, especially in the US. Not all MA students in the same cohort take the same courses. Thus, not even the students in the same cohort have encountered the same authors, read the same sources, undertaken the same research. In a doctoral program the difference is even greater. What I mean to say in all this is that no one can really quantify how the MA counts towards the PhD. If they do, make sure is a way that benefits you. If they are going to exempt you from a language exams, make sure it's because you know the language. If they are going to exempt you from a methods course, make sure you know the methods. A PhD coursework is the last chance you get to read about topics/regions that are not necessarily connected to your own interests. This is a gift, take advantage of it. I can assure you it won't hurt. 

Regarding time of completion with or without a MA: No, it has absolutely nothing to do. Maybe others can chime in here, but in my experience (both as student and faculty), I haven't seen a difference in time of completion. I didn't go in with a MA and it took me the same as some one with. I know people with MAs in their 9th years. I know people with MA that graduated in 6. So, no. 

Now, the question of why some programs run longer is a strange one. Typically, doctoral programs run for five years: 2 coursework, 1 for exams/developing prospectus, 1 for research, 1 for writing. However, the vast majority of graduate student do not finish in five years (it's not impossible, but I'd say I know two people who did). It usually takes 6 or more. The reasons for this vary enormously from person to person and from program to program. Besides personal reasons, some programs prefer to fund their students for another year if they didn't find a job. Some advisors can be hard to work with and maybe you just end up writing for more time than you thought. This is a very, very important question that you should check in the programs' websites and ask graduate students. It is a very valid question, so do ask when you visit! 

3 hours ago, Marier said:

I would also be coming from abroad and was wondering if it was worth it (I definitely want to attend!). What do you “discover” during those visit-days? 

First, you get a feel of the department. I'm a firm advocate that the department is your workplace (as opposed as your buddies-space, which it can be, but it's not mostly that). So, when you travel and interact with everyone, you'll see how they get along, how they treat each other, how do they live, what worries them, etc. You'll see if most of them are younger, if they are married/with partners, if they are older, etc. You'll also see for yourself what's like to be in the city where you'll be. Do you see yourself here? Is it hard to move around? Is campus accessible? You will probably meet faculty outside your department and probably envision collaborating with some. I'm a Latin Americanist so our prospective students usually meet with faculty in Art History, Romance languages, and Sociology. You'll also meet your advisor and other faculty, and get a sense of their style. 

(As I mentioned, I didn't attend my visit but this is what people that ended up coming told me they enjoyed from our visit). 

Are you coming from abroad with nothing in the US? If you are, then valid questions include: Where do grad students typically live? Are there furnished apts? is there a roommate service? (usually yes to both of these). Can you get a car? Can you get a driver's license? What do you need to get insurance? What fees are not covered by the fellowship? etc. Do contact other students that came from abroad, trust me. They will be your biggest allies! 

Good luck!

30 minutes ago, FruitLover said:

Do most programs ...

I think that you'll benefit in the long run if you discontinue the practice of trying to establish the rules of the road for most programs. Every department is different. Every program is different. Qualifying exam committees and dissertation committees within a program may also vary. Some students may receive waivers from requirements, others may not receive similar considerations. Many of the decisions can center around the graduate student and how she's perceived by the faculty.

Instead, I recommend that you focus on understanding what kind of an academic historian you want to be, what you need to do to realize that vision, and what specific requirements and obligations you need to fulfill. (It won't matter if most schools allow grades in language classes to establish proficiency if, during your orals, a professor sits down and asks the first question in German.)