2020 application thread

Sigaba

Just now, snackademic said:

Seeing other people hear back from the schools I've applied to makes me increasingly convinced that I'm about to get rejected from everything. ? Anyone else in the same boat?

Me too! So hard to see them and not worry why you weren't emailed as well ? 

9 minutes ago, snackademic said:

Seeing other people hear back from the schools I've applied to makes me increasingly convinced that I'm about to get rejected from everything. ? Anyone else in the same boat?

Oh yes, absolutely. Watching those UPenn interview invitations come through last week and this week and not receiving any word or movement in my portal (still sitting at Ready to Review) was brutal.

9 minutes ago, snackademic said:

My heart sunk a little when I saw the Virginia acceptances. No official rejections yet though.

19 minutes ago, histori041512 said:

My heart sunk a little when I saw the Virginia acceptances. No official rejections yet though.

I feel really gutted by the radio silence from Yale. It was by far my first choice, with the best faculty fit, and was even recommended by several professors at my MA program as a good fit for me.

2 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

Oh yes, absolutely. Watching those UPenn interview invitations come through last week and this week and not receiving any word or movement in my portal (still sitting at Ready to Review) was brutal.

Small question but where exactly can you see "Ready to Review" ??

Edit: found it under the checklist heading -- note that not all the schools who use this web-based submission client show this info

Edited by hojoojoh

10 minutes ago, KiraBerl said:

I have this weird calm before the storm feeling as I refresh the results page. No reports from the schools I applied to though.

They will start rolling in in a week or two. I think It'll be more nerve-wracking then because it could happen anytime.

Currently grappling with the reality that I probably didn’t get into Penn and UVA based on a lack of communication. I’m just reminding myself that I worked hard to get here and that no matter the result, nothing will change that. I hope it works out for myself and everyone else but just remember there’s always next year and if we are truly passionate about this field of study, nothing will keep us from eventually reaching our goals ? good luck everyone 

1 hour ago, historyofsloths said:

Mine still shows "materials needed" even though I have submitted everything the school required...

26 minutes ago, KiraBerl said:

I have this weird calm before the storm feeling as I refresh the results page. No reports from the schools I applied to though.

Same. Since discovering this place a few days ago, it's been both a source of anxiety (the results page) and soothing commiseration (the forums).

21 hours ago, snackademic said:

Does anyone want to claim the UChicago offer? Would you be willing to share the initials of your POI?

Hi, yes, that was me! PM me if you need specific POI information; it's a little complicated, I don't really want to post it here, and I think it may also not be relevant. I actually got the email from a professor within the same subfield whom I had not mentioned in my SOP. I study (late) modern European history. 

Edited to add: This professor's work is so relevant to my interests that I really probably should have mentioned it, though, so I don't know that it's possible to read much into any of this. 

Edited by orchestraldreamer
Adding information

Does anyone know if acceptances come at a different time depending on subject-matter? I was really excited about UVA and am disappointed to have heard nothing; but then again I'm Middle Eastern history so the timing of acceptances may be different (or so I hope). 

13 minutes ago, DennisGreenFan said:

Does anyone know if acceptances come at a different time depending on subject-matter? I was really excited about UVA and am disappointed to have heard nothing; but then again I'm Middle Eastern history so the timing of acceptances may be different (or so I hope). 

I am pretty sure they go out at the same time, but waitlists and rejections are later. I  heard I was waitlisted by the department’s director of grad admissions on Feb. 3 when I applied. 

8 hours ago, earlycalifornia said:

I am pretty sure they go out at the same time, but waitlists and rejections are later. I  heard I was waitlisted by the department’s director of grad admissions on Feb. 3 when I applied. 

Thanks. Is that for all schools or just UVA?

22 minutes ago, The Grad Stride said:

I'm double-majoring in CS and Math at UMass Lowell. I started in fall 2018, but already have senior standing and am planning on graduating this fall. I'm looking to get an MS in CS.

• GPA: 3.7 overall, 4.0 CS, 3.7 Math
    • GPA's steadily improved; last semester I got nearly a 3.9 with 20 credits of STEM
  • GRE: 160 Verbal, 169 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing (planning on retaking b/c my first practice test scores were both a point higher)
    • planning on taking the Math subject test
  • Other: I did a work-study last summer where I wrote some code for a professor. (Also, I took 17 credits and got straight A's during this.)

What are some good safety, match, and reach schools in the US and Canada?

I think you're in the wrong sub-forum. This is history, not CS. Unless you want to do a history of CS, which would be really cool (and very marketable, looking at who's gotten history of tech jobs recently).

23 minutes ago, The Grad Stride said:

I'm double-majoring in CS and Math at UMass Lowell. I started in fall 2018, but already have senior standing and am planning on graduating this fall. I'm looking to get an MS in CS.

• GPA: 3.7 overall, 4.0 CS, 3.7 Math
    • GPA's steadily improved; last semester I got nearly a 3.9 with 20 credits of STEM
  • GRE: 160 Verbal, 169 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing (planning on retaking b/c my first practice test scores were both a point higher)
    • planning on taking the Math subject test
  • Other: I did a work-study last summer where I wrote some code for a professor. (Also, I took 17 credits and got straight A's during this.)

What are some good safety, match, and reach schools in the US and Canada?

You might have better luck on the Computer Science thread! This one's for history.

29 minutes ago, psstein said:

I think you're in the wrong sub-forum. This is history, not CS. Unless you want to do a history of CS, which would be really cool (and very marketable, looking at who's gotten history of tech jobs recently).

27 minutes ago, snackademic said:

You might have better luck on the Computer Science thread! This one's for history.

Oh, I don't know how I ended up here. Though the CS forum is barely active, so I don't know what to do.

2 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

Small question but where exactly can you see "Ready to Review" ??

Edit: found it under the checklist heading -- note that not all the schools who use this web-based submission client show this info

Oh I know, Emory and Michigan use the same system but Emory hasn't shown anything and Michigan has a completely different system for application status. But the UPenn changed from when I submitted it on the 15th and when they got my GRE scores put together with my application on the 23rd. So I just keep checking that Checklist until it tells me something.

2 hours ago, aaaddd said:

Mine still shows "materials needed" even though I have submitted everything the school required...

Honestly you should reach out to them, that may be an error in the system or that they haven't matched up your materials. They didn't change mine to Ready to Review until they matched up my GRE score to my application. 

38 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Honestly you should reach out to them, that may be an error in the system or that they haven't matched up your materials. They didn't change mine to Ready to Review until they matched up my GRE score to my application. 

I already did and they said they will manually change the status when they review my application...so I am assuming they have not read mine yet...?

52 minutes ago, aaaddd said:

I already did and they said they will manually change the status when they review my application...so I am assuming they have not read mine yet...?

So I guess that means you don't have any material missing...idk that's so weird to me. I hope it all turns out well!