2020 application thread

Sigaba

8 hours ago, Michael Scarn said:

Another Chicago acceptance was posted! Would love to know what region/time period the acceptances are in. I felt Chicago was a bit of a reach for me, but still anxious to hear back. 

On 1/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, snackademic said:

Does anyone want to claim the UChicago offer? Would you be willing to share the initials of your POI?

I received the second acceptance, and was notified by a POI. I work on modern (20thC) East Asia. 

Edited by IGoToWar
added information

5 hours ago, DennisGreenFan said:

Does anyone know if acceptances come at a different time depending on subject-matter? I was really excited about UVA and am disappointed to have heard nothing; but then again I'm Middle Eastern history so the timing of acceptances may be different (or so I hope). 

I actually think that they do not all come out at once. Obviously it depends on the department/amount of offers, etc. But from what I've seen, different subfields seem to send out acceptances on different days. Can't speak for all programs though.

12 hours ago, IGoToWar said:

I am curious who got the Berkeley acceptances? So far have seen one person in US Hist., one in Ancient/medieval, and one in early modern Europe. 

I got the U.S. history acceptance from POI. 

Edit: was told in my email official acceptances would come in 1-2 weeks last Friday, so any acceptances at this point will be from a POI or the like. 

Edited by blitner

1 hour ago, Carrots112 said:

Does anyone know why the Stanford Application Status would read as incomplete if all the paperwork has been submitted and received? Just checked and am a bit worried ?

It was taking them some time to update received documents shortly after the application deadline, but it should look complete by this point. It's worth reaching out to someone in the department, perhaps, to determine if you genuinely have something missing.

Bit of a weird question- does an acceptance ever come in an e-mail to check website? Or can you assume rejection from the moment you see that? Not that I wouldn't check anyway, just wondering 

2 minutes ago, Manana said:

Bit of a weird question- does an acceptance ever come in an e-mail to check website? Or can you assume rejection from the moment you see that? Not that I wouldn't check anyway, just wondering 

I get the impression that every program is different. I can tell you that I received e-mails last year (at least 2 if memory serves) to check the application portal for a decision. One was a rejection (which I 100% expected) and the other was actually my acceptance to my current program. I was shaking waiting for it to load, so you just never know. ALWAYS check.

4 hours ago, snackademic said:

Confused about this Harvard acceptance result, especially since it's only one person. Wouldn't DGS presumably email everyone at once?

God, this wait is KILLING ME.

That threw me off too. I think Harvard at this point is just applicants hearing from their POIs -- very case by case. Last year some mentioned they got the email saying they were 99% in and that their file was "going up" to the DGS that week, etc. We could be approaching that stage now. 

4 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

That threw me off too. I think Harvard at this point is just applicants hearing from their POIs -- very case by case. Last year some mentioned they got the email saying they were 99% in and that their file was "going up" to the DGS that week, etc. We could be approaching that stage now. 

We had the faculty meeting on graduate admissions on Monday, so most likely individual POIs are beginning to send out emails/make calls.

15 hours ago, DanaJ said:

I get the impression that every program is different. I can tell you that I received e-mails last year (at least 2 if memory serves) to check the application portal for a decision. One was a rejection (which I 100% expected) and the other was actually my acceptance to my current program. I was shaking waiting for it to load, so you just never know. ALWAYS check.

For the acceptance, did you already receive an email from POI before you got the email asking you to check the website? It seems every offer was notified by POI or the dept first based on the reported acceptances, and no acceptance was reported after checking website at gradcafe.

Edited by Wingman4587

5 hours ago, Wingman4587 said:

For the acceptance, did you already receive an email from POI before you got the email asking you to check the website? It seems every offer was notified by POI or the dept first based on the reported acceptances, and no acceptance was reported after checking website at gradcafe.

I did NOT receive any contact before the e-mail telling me to check the portal. It seemed like an automatically generated e-mail from the graduate school that said something along the lines of "a decision had been made regarding you application." When I logged in, there was a letter offering a conditional acceptance upon completion of my MA (I graduated with my MA May 2019 and started my PhD August of 2019). 

I do attend a state school. If you want to send a private message I'm open to talking about it. We are ranked slightly below many of the schools discussed on this site by the Chronicle of Higher Education, but I never see anyone on here discussing us. I'm thrilled and love my program, we just aren't common on grad cafe.

Edit: for clarity.

Edited by DanaJ