2020 application thread

Sigaba

2 hours ago, Pikepride2000 said:

I’m rather down about the implicit rejection. I thought I stood a pretty good chance after speaking with potential advisors who seemed interested in my proposed area of study. My only weak spot was my GRE but I wasn’t too concerned as I was told it wasn’t even considered for the program.

Please send me a PM with some information about your PoI(s) and your proposed project. I may be able to shed a bit of light from my side of things/experiences in the department.

5 hours ago, icanhavephdasatreat said:

Congratulations! Were you one of the dual PhD admits? The results page seems pretty empty for decisions to have gone to all History admits today versus those in smaller combined programs.  

Yes! I got into the combined PhD for history and African American Studies ?

14 hours ago, OHSP said:

What's your regional field/time? I know some interviews were held last week and that they've definitely made some decisions about who's going to receive an offer (but haven't extended offers). It's a very field-by-field process and I only really have insight into my own fields--feel free to PM. 

Is it typical of NYU to do interviews?

Pretty bummed about the radio silence from Wisconsin, but also not surprised considering both of the people I would most want to work with will be retiring in the next 5-7 years, and thus my POI wasn't as strong of a match. Probably more bummed about not hearing from University of Chicago, which I did feel was a great fit! 

24 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Congratulations to the Vanderbilt admit as well! If you're on here, can you say what subfield and if your portal has changed at all?

Hi, thank you! That was me. I'm in modern European (German) history, and my portal has not changed at all as far as I can see.

The official acceptance and some funding information also haven't come yet, so I imagine that the portal will just take a bit longer. 

7 minutes ago, orchestraldreamer said:

Hi, thank you! That was me. I'm in modern European (German) history, and my portal has not changed at all as far as I can see.

The official acceptance and some funding information also haven't come yet, so I imagine that the portal will just take a bit longer. 

Congrats and thanks for the info! I’m still holding out some hope for an email from the DGS, so fingers crossed. 

Best of luck to you in the Fall!

2 hours ago, Marier said:

Is it typical of NYU to do interviews?

NYU's making a lot of changes--in the past decade or so it was not typical, but interviews definitely occurred this year in at least some fields. In the past few years cohort sizes have been cut dramatically, which improves the 6th year + internal grants funding situation for those who receive an offer, amongst other benefits of smaller cohorts. I think the reduction in intake is also a response to the realities of the job market. 

Edited by OHSP

1 hour ago, OHSP said:

NYU's making a lot of changes--in the past decade or so it was not typical, but interviews definitely occurred this year in at least some fields. In the past few years cohort sizes have been cut dramatically, which improves the 6th year + internal grants funding situation for those who receive an offer, amongst other benefits of smaller cohorts. I think the reduction in intake is also a response to the realities of the job market. 

Thank you for the update. I applied for the joint program in History/French Studies and was wondering when we would hear back !

2 hours ago, Michael Scarn said:

Pretty bummed about the radio silence from Wisconsin, but also not surprised considering both of the people I would most want to work with will be retiring in the next 5-7 years, and thus my POI wasn't as strong of a match. Probably more bummed about not hearing from University of Chicago, which I did feel was a great fit! 

Desan and Boswell?

3 minutes ago, Hugotarian said:

Who is the other Hopkins History of Medicine admit? I was accepted, too! Let's connect! 

Who is your POI and what's your area of interest?

46 minutes ago, histori041512 said:

Anyone heard anything from Brown? I saw a joint program acceptance but nothing else.

There are two other Brown acceptances on the board

48 minutes ago, aco2 said:

Was anyone here the Hopkins History of Medicine admit? If so, who was the POI, and what did they tell you in the call?

That was me! I'm early modern Europe/gender & sexuality, so (perhaps obviously, lol) my POI is Mary Fissell. She just gave me the good news and told me that the official offer, funding info, etc. would be forthcoming, as well as some details about the recruitment visit.

49 minutes ago, Hugotarian said:

Who is the other Hopkins History of Medicine admit? I was accepted, too! Let's connect! 

Hello!! Yes, I'll message you! :)