2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

12 hours ago, pilemalo said:

Hello!!! Got my first interview for Biology dept at Boston College on 12/21 and a rejection from Gerstner Sloan Kettering on 01/06!

Does anyone heard back from:

• Harvard - BBS and Chemical Biology?
  •  MIT ( coming on 01/15)
  • Boston U?
  • Tufts
  • Scripps
  • Stanford
  • John Hopkins
  • UMass Amherst 
  • UMass Med School

I heard back from UMass Med on 12/20, my interview date is Jan 23-24

3 hours ago, darklings said:

Got a rejection from Tri-i, should I start finding a job...? 

Knowing absolutely nothing about your experience, it looks like they place a lot of value on having a few years research experience between undergrad and grad school, based on who I know that got interviews. A lot of NIH postbacs this year.

25 minutes ago, naturalweasel said:

Knowing absolutely nothing about your experience, it looks like they place a lot of value on having a few years research experience between undergrad and grad school, based on who I know that got interviews. A lot of NIH postbacs this year.

Thanks for letting me know this, I can feel that based on their student profiles. I am still an undergrad (international) but with an extra gap year doing full-time research. I pretty like NYC and the schools there...

Edited by darklings

1 hour ago, darklings said:

Thanks for letting me know this, I can feel that based on their student profiles. I am still an undergrad (international) but with an extra gap year doing full-time research. I pretty like NYC and the schools there...

I feel like internationals should not expect any school is guaranteed or safe if you do not have a strong connection. Most programs probably pick only 1-2 internationals to give offers, which are very likely their own students, so couple applicants who are extremely competitive or have connections will screw you out. 

On 1/8/2020 at 12:25 AM, pilemalo said:

Hello!!! Got my first interview for Biology dept at Boston College on 12/21 and a rejection from Gerstner Sloan Kettering on 01/06!

Does anyone heard back from:

• Harvard - BBS and Chemical Biology?
  •  MIT ( coming on 01/15)
  • Boston U?
  • Tufts
  • Scripps
  • Stanford
  • John Hopkins
  • UMass Amherst 
  • UMass Med School

I forgot to ask you about the date for the MIT csb. Did you call and ask or are you predicting the date for the application release as well?

1 hour ago, EmilyEmilyEmily said:

May I know what program do you apply? Is it bioinformatics and computational biology program? I also apply for this program, but haven't heard back yet, probably that means a rejection :(

Yes, I applied to their bioinformatics and computational bio program. No idea if they’re done inviting or not, but considering it’s soon I’m not sure how many they’d send out now? Wish I had better news, you could try calling too?

7 hours ago, BioBoy0323 said:

I forgot to ask you about the date for the MIT csb. Did you call and ask or are you predicting the date for the application release as well?

I just got an email from them - they said application status will be disclosed by the end of next week.

10 hours ago, BioBoy0323 said:

The MIT Biology Graduate Admissions Committee emailed me on Dec.13th to expect to be notified for an interview by the end of the second week in January.

Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to attend one of three interview weekends that will be held Feb 8-10, Feb 22-24, or Mar 7-9.

2 hours ago, pilemalo said:

The MIT Biology Graduate Admissions Committee emailed me on Dec.13th to expect to be notified for an interview by the end of the second week in January.

Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to attend one of three interview weekends that will be held Feb 8-10, Feb 22-24, or Mar 7-9.

I think most MIT Biology were released today. But CSB is separate from Biology--they're a small department with a metric shit-ton of applications to go through, so they're on a slightly slower schedule ?

7 minutes ago, kataegis said:

@VirtualCell I looked at your list of schools and commend your confidence

Lol thanks. More like recklessness than confidence? Tbh I was going to take a year or two off--I'm in Boston and there're lots of job opportunities in Bioinformatics here--but one of my undergrad advisors (who I trust a lot, in part because she's blunt/honest to the point that it sometimes comes off as rude) told me to apply to a few places year, at least to get practice. I took it seriously and hey--so far, so good. And I'll get to meet you at the BIG interviews! ? I'm so excited, it's going to be a blast.

Edited by VirtualCell

On 1/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, EmilyEmilyEmily said:

May I know what program do you apply? Is it bioinformatics and computational biology program? I also apply for this program, but haven't heard back yet, probably that means a rejection :(

I just finished interviewing there. They actually don't split up by sub-program so invites go out to everyone in general rather than by sub-program. You're not applying to bioinformatics, for example -- you are applying to biomedical sciences (even though you need to specify a concentration on the application, which isn't set in stone and can be changed).

I would guess they are done inviting but there's a small chance because there is a third interview weekend and they could send out a few more invites. However, if you are an international student, that could work differently and they're one of the schools that does take a sizable amount of international students.