2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

19 minutes ago, Dwar said:

Random question which has absolutely no bearing on myself: Is there an internal ranking to CHYMPS? Like are HYP better then the public's and Stanford? or at that point are they pretty much the same and its just personal preference/fit? 

Chicago harvard yale michigan princeton stanford?

or is the C for cal? 

44 minutes ago, Dwar said:

Random question which has absolutely no bearing on myself: Is there an internal ranking to CHYMPS? Like are HYP better then the public's and Stanford? or at that point are they pretty much the same and its just personal preference/fit? 

H S > P > M Y C from what I can tell, but it can vary by subfield. Another thing to keep in mind -- having a good "brand" (i.e. an Ivy/Stanford) can matter a lot if you strike out on the academic job market (as many of us likely will unfortunately) and move into government/private sector work. 

Just now, sloth_girl said:

H S > P > M Y C from what I can tell, but it can vary by subfield. Another thing to keep in mind -- having a good "brand" (i.e. an Ivy/Stanford) can matter a lot if you strike out on the academic job market (as many of us likely will unfortunately) and move into government/private sector work. 

To add to this, my sense is that SLACs like people with "brand names" on their resume, so that can help with placements there. Having professors with degrees from Ivies/Stanford can help the school market itself to parents in particular.

21 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

To add to this, my sense is that SLACs like people with "brand names" on their resume, so that can help with placements there. Having professors with degrees from Ivies/Stanford can help the school market itself to parents in particular.

I’d say berkeley is a pretty flashy brand name though, once you’re in the chymps im pretty sure it doesnt matter.

1 minute ago, RebPB said:

Shouldn’t Stanford and MIT be coming out this week?? 

Also did NYU finish sending out acceptances?? 

Stanford came out on the Wednesday/Thursday of this week last year (i.e., today and tomorrow). And they apparently have a dark sense of humor since they sent rejections on Valentine's Day...

16 minutes ago, RebPB said:

That’s what I was thinking... thank you! 

Any guesses for NYU? I saw a few go out last week but they usually have a bigger class and there were only like 5 posts. 

I emailed NYU last week and they said they are sending out offers in batches this year. So there's still hope.

Edited by ETea24

2 minutes ago, ETea24 said:

I emailed NYU last week and they said they are sending out offers in batches this year. 

They said something like that last year too, but what really happened was that they sent all PhD acceptances at once, and then waited a while, and then sent unfunded MA (they don't fund) and rejections a month later. Everyone who got accepted to the PhD (possibly small n of waitlisters aside) all heard at the same time. 

Just now, BunniesInSpace said:

They said something like that last year too, but what really happened was that they sent all PhD acceptances at once, and then waited a while, and then sent unfunded MA (they don't fund) and rejections a month later. Everyone who got accepted to the PhD (possibly small n of waitlisters aside) all heard at the same time. 

You could be right. I don't know anything about last year tbh. My source was a professor at NYU Politics.