2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

7 minutes ago, Artifex_Archer said:

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also ask him about his work. Doing so helps you in multiple ways. First of all, you do want to get a better sense of 'fit,' and secondly, people tend to enjoy talking about themselves, especially vis-à-vis the things they really care about. I'd also ask about faculty outside the department who may be studying topics that correspond with your interests—someone in the history department who writes on X, someone in the philosophy department who studies Y, etc.

Remember—because people tend to forget these things when they're nervous—to thank him for his time both before and after the call; immediately afterward [if you don't take notes during], jot down a list of key items from the conversations; and then send a follow-up, thank you email that refers to at least one of those 'key items' [e.g., 'thank you for the book recommendation on____'; 'I was very encouraged when you mentioned the opportunities to ______ because ________ is very important to me,' etc.].

If you search elsewhere on GC there's a fairly extensive thread where people provided these and other suggestions.

And good luck!

Agree with the above mentioned. Always send a thank you email. 
questions I like to ask are about possibilities for publications and teaching. Summer funding and expectations around fieldwork (if appropriate for your research interest). I always ask about approx. average number of years for students to complete PhD. I know this can often be found online, but that question has given me some insights to the support and funding available at different departments. 

good luck!!

1 hour ago, CooperSly said:

Yeah, it really sucks how late our cycle is compared to other programs. Which cluster did you apply to for WWS?

I applied for the Security Studies cluster!  No idea how competitive I am, these public policy PhD programs seem to want somewhat different things than traditional political science doctoral programs.  I guess we'll see in a few weeks...

29 minutes ago, SDMSK said:

I’m very confused by Michigan now...

I think it's safe to say they have begun sending out acceptances (unfortunately for me I have not received one). Best of luck to you!

Just now, telkanuru said:

First warning. Don't be a dick. 

Well I am already accepted to the program of my dreams, I don't need this forum full of people with self confidence issues.

You Americans...

1 minute ago, allben said:

Sending out rejections on Valentine's Day seems harsh to me.

I agree. @niceward  sorry to hear about JHU. Fwiw I've been checking chibird.com every day to make myself feel better during this pretty anxiety-inducing season. Would recommend. 

7 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

I don't think this is called for. And poli sci is a small world. Bitterness is not becoming

Also agree with this. Congrats @sloth_girl you should be very proud. 

2 minutes ago, are-you-f'ing-serious said:

Well I am already accepted to the program of my dreams, I don't need this forum full of people with self confidence issues.

You Americans...

Ok, so no one is holding a hatchet to your head forcing you to stay & toss insults, though it seems like there may be some kind of projection here re self confidence.... 

Everyone being a salt monster towards sloth girl needs to realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing everything you can to ensure that you secure a spot somewhere. She's been lurking on these forums for years gathering information in order to perfect her applications. She took the suggestions of others and it paid off. It wasn't luck or some other BS, it was hard work and perseverance. Y'all need to chill. These are personal accomplishments, they aren't about anyone else.

10 minutes ago, are-you-f'ing-serious said:

You Americans...

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

I applied for the Security Studies cluster!  No idea how competitive I am, these public policy PhD programs seem to want somewhat different things than traditional political science doctoral programs.  I guess we'll see in a few weeks...

Nice, I applied to STEP! Website says they accept 3 for each cluster per cycle. I know it's only 2-4 weeks till we get decisions, but it feels like an eternity from now :[

Just now, Romcomulus said:

Naw they've been on here for a little while. He/she was helpful at first, but when sloth girl started getting accepted everywhere, a lot of people started showing their ugly sides.

I thought that person's first post was about the Michigan acceptance. 

If they are not a troll then it's even more sad. 

My struggle with processing these rejections/waiting is that the process is so obscure to the average person. I come from a working class background, so my family doesn't get it. My mother, for example, has no idea what to say to me. My adviser has recently been promoted to Chair, and she's become distant as a result. My friends and boyfriend aren't really interested in graduate school, so their response is sympathetic but unsatisfying. I feel so alone in this. 

2 minutes ago, niceward said:

My struggle with processing these rejections/waiting is that the process is so obscure to the average person. I come from a working class background, so my family doesn't get it. My mother, for example, has no idea what to say to me. My adviser has recently been promoted to Chair, and she's become distant as a result. My friends and boyfriend aren't really interested in graduate school, so their response is sympathetic but unsatisfying. I feel so alone in this. 

Hey Nice, I hope you find some sense of community and support here and elsewhere. Please slide in DMs whenever.

2 minutes ago, niceward said:

If it helps, I feel like I'm in the same boat. I had very little knowledge of the process going into this and there are many things I wish I knew earlier.

Having only received rejections so far, I'm sort of freaking out about my chances of getting in anywhere. I feel like I'm annoying my family and friends at this point, so instead I'm just anxiously refreshing this forum/my email - not sure if that's any healthier, haha.

17 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

Naw they've been on here for a little while. He/she was helpful at first, but when sloth girl started getting accepted everywhere, a lot of people started showing their ugly sides.

@Romcomulus thank you so much, this means a lot! 

17 minutes ago, Mixedmethodsisa4letterword said:

I thought that person's first post was about the Michigan acceptance. 

If they are not a troll then it's even more sad. 

15 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

You're right, I confused them with another user. Could be a troll. 

So I'm not sure if they were a troll or not, but I do know that their date for when we have to get back to Michigan for the visiting weekend was a different date that what my letter said?