2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

On 2/15/2020 at 11:55 PM, sloth_girl said:

Haha, I'm still trying to figure that out myself! I know I did a pretty good job at the main points that others have talked about (e.g. get good GRE scores, good uGPA, well-crafted SOP, etc.), and I'll be posting my profile and info once the cycle finishes. But honestly, I think I just got very lucky this round. When I talk to POIs, there was a lot of "oh, we just hired this person and this person straight out of grad school who you have great fit with!", which I couldn't have anticipated. I'm not confident that any other application season would have yielded the same results if that makes sense. 

You're incredible. Congratulations on all of your success :) really looking forward to reading your profile+info, I'd love to learn from you for next year. 

On 2/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, sloth_girl said:

Haha, I'm still trying to figure that out myself! I know I did a pretty good job at the main points that others have talked about (e.g. get good GRE scores, good uGPA, well-crafted SOP, etc.), and I'll be posting my profile and info once the cycle finishes. But honestly, I think I just got very lucky this round. When I talk to POIs, there was a lot of "oh, we just hired this person and this person straight out of grad school who you have great fit with!", which I couldn't have anticipated. I'm not confident that any other application season would have yielded the same results if that makes sense. 

You're too modest. Surely it's more than pure luck that you're like one of the most competitive applicants to political science programs in 2020 :) 

16 hours ago, PhD2020Applicant said:

You're incredible. Congratulations on all of your success :) really looking forward to reading your profile+info, I'd love to learn from you for next year. 

Thank you so much -- I'll be happy to post once I've heard back everywhere. 

14 hours ago, Theory007 said:

You're too modest. Surely it's more than pure luck that you're like one of the most competitive applicants to political science programs in 2020 :) 

Haha luck always plays into graduate admissions -- there's no way to control a lot of the factors that affect admissions (e.g. availability of advisors, funding, etc.). I think I did well for the things within my "control" and overcame some things in my background. But I'll say this: both good performance and luck are necessary but not individually sufficient for admissions to graduate school. 

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. 

I have a question, has anyone seen any changes to their portal for UChicago? Mine is showing that I need to submit an official transcript for my current institution which I do not recall it showing before. I was wondering if this means I might be accepted given what it says on the 3rd paragraph of the UChicago website https://socialsciences.uchicago.edu/admissions/application-materials/transcripts. Any other ideas on what this could mean, if anything? There is nothing on my portal saying that I was accepted/denied or a link to a decision letter. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Jaliboy said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. 

I have a question, has anyone seen any changes to their portal for UChicago? Mine is showing that I need to submit an official transcript for my current institution which I do not recall it showing before. I was wondering if this means I might be accepted given what it says on the 3rd paragraph of the UChicago website https://socialsciences.uchicago.edu/admissions/application-materials/transcripts. Any other ideas on what this could mean, if anything? There is nothing on my portal saying that I was accepted/denied or a link to a decision letter. Thank you!

Mine shows the same thing. Is this just a glitch? 

Hi all :)

Im an international applicant, wait-listed at Pittsburgh, the top school in my list of applications (mostly rejections so far).

Got an email from the DGS that I might be interviewed in early March. Wondering if I could get some interview advice on what to expect for interview questions, anything would be appreciated. Please DM me.Thank you so much.